Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

12 hour layover in Dubai what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I will have a 12 hour layover in Dubai the first week of June on our way to Male, and I was debating staying in the Dubai International Airport hotel or going out to see the city. Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel and can give some tips? Are there half day tours that depart and return to the Airport? Any recommendations would be helpful.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Search is your friend....this question has been answered many times on this forum.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Most tour companies will pick you up from wherever you want; it's a competitive business. But why pay the overhead when you can just buy a Nol card and use the metro and buses. Taxis are relatively inexpensive too.

You don't say what time of day you will be here but I can guarantee it will be hot and humid, possibly unpleasantly so depending on what you're used to. On a more positive note, you can get virtually anywhere without having to leave air-conditioned comfort.

Oh, and the holy month of Ramadan is 27 May – 24 June this year. Great for cultural immersion, less so for tourists. No eating, drinking or smoking in public during the daylight hours. But it would be a great shame to not take the opportunity to get out and about.

And, as always, what do you actually *like* to do ? We're all different. That said, you should probably visit the iconic sites if you have no plans to return, although there is still an authentic side to the city if you scratch a little deeper.

Lastly, I don't know your age or sex, but please dress respectfully, especially during the holy month. Knee-length shorts and t-shirts are fine. Nobody wants to see your knees, tummy, cleavage or shoulders
Old May 11, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Just to add regarding ramadan - you will indeed not be able to eat, drink or smoke in public but inside the airport you're ok (it has to do with the rules of fasting being less stringent when traveling though you are encouraged to still keep the fast if possible).

Having said that, June is hot & humid and based on your experience in such a climate, it might make you thirsty to roam around during the day - at a time when you can't easily drink water. Is this layover during the day or in the evening?

During the day it will be tough but doable to explore the city. Check the attractions you are interested in and if they have any special Ramadan timings (and offers!). Also you might even see a few restaurants operating a basic service but with curtains & dividers to ensure that its not visible outside (out of respect). Within a hotel also, you're ok.

In the evening, from the time of the Iftar meal and onward, it becomes lively and bustling again. In fact, many hotels have some pretty great Iftar buffets which you could also consider (followed by a food coma).

If going to the Burj Khalifa, book your tickets in advance - the counter price is 4x.

Ro
Old May 12, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Supermarkets are still open during the day and I have been to known buy a sandwich and a bottle of water and hide in a mall bathroom stall for 10 mins

Some mall food courts will probably be partially open (curtained off) during the day but we won't know the details for this year until nearer the time.

The rules are there to make it a little easier for those keeping the fast, by not being surrounded by others eating and drinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.