Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel, Passports, going to the middle east in the future etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+

Hello,

Quick question here.

1. Can I travel on a Brazilian passport from the EU via Kiev to TLV without any visas? I also own a EU passport but this brings me to my second question (2). What I have googled (timatic) says that I don't need any visas at all. However will I be interrogated by the Israeli security officers? I don't want to have any trouble. Do I need to, for example, have printed return tickets, listed where I have my accomodation, etc. Or am I being too over cautious here?

2. If I have entered Israel on my passport, can I still in the future go to countries such as egypt/iran/etc.? I dont have any plans yet but maybe in the future.

3. If not, can I enter there with my EU passport without any form of secret registration thing that has registered that I was once in Israel?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:59 am

You can enter Israel with any of the passports, visa free, and you don't get a stamp anyway so no other country will ever know you've been to Israel, unless they ask specifically in which case it doesn't matter which of the passports you are using.

It is always a good idea to have your return ticket/accommodation details with you when travelling to any country, when flying directly from AMS (with KLM at least) there is an extra security layer at the gate and they often ask for it, no idea if you get the same at Kiev.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I just wanted to expand that Israel stamps on a passport are no longer an issue. You will receive a paper pass.

I am not aware of any secret European tracking of "registered Israel visitors".

Europe has enough problems right now with it's non-passport visitors as it is.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditto
... you don't get a stamp anyway so no other country will ever know you've been to Israel...
Originally Posted by Thumper
I just wanted to expand that Israel stamps on a passport are no longer an issue. You will receive a paper pass.
Unless you get the wrong Israeli immigration inspector on the wrong day.

A friend of mine who was working in a Middle-Eastern country that does not allow people to come in if they have an Israeli stamp in the passport went on holidays to Jordan and thence to Israel, thinking / expecting that he would get the 'paper pass' that everybody talks about. His world fell apart when the Israeli border official stamped his passport directly. My friend was speechless but his face must have reflected his discomfiture because the border guard said 'What? Are you ashamed of visiting my country?' That's a tricky question to answer.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
Unless you get the wrong Israeli immigration inspector on the wrong day.

A friend of mine who was working in a Middle-Eastern country that does not allow people to come in if they have an Israeli stamp in the passport went on holidays to Jordan and thence to Israel, thinking / expecting that he would get the 'paper pass' that everybody talks about. His world fell apart when the Israeli border official stamped his passport directly. My friend was speechless but his face must have reflected his discomfiture because the border guard said 'What? Are you ashamed of visiting my country?' That's a tricky question to answer.
Was he crossing to Israel by land? The "paper visa" is only at TLV airport afaik (Eilat/Aqaba crossing didn't have it about 2 years ago, not sure about the rest)

On the border crossing you can still get a stamp on a separate paper if you ask for it in advance, but it is kind of pointless in the border crossing since if he left Jordan in a border crossing to Israel, there is only one country he could have gone to...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bakpapier

3. If not, can I enter there with my EU passport without any form of secret registration thing that has registered that I was once in Israel?

Thanks in advance.
If you left the EU for Israel by air on a single ticketed PNR from the EU to Israel, then the odds are that some EU authorities will know you were booked to be in Israel.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you left the EU for Israel by air on a single ticketed PNR from the EU to Israel, then the odds are that some EU authorities will know you were booked to be in Israel.
Well my issue is not that the eu knows I will have been to israel but, say, if I want to go to iran or something in a year from now, if I would have any problems.

But I suppose that if I get the paper visa then it wont be a problem either way.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Well my issue is not that the eu knows I will have been to israel but, say, if I want to go to iran or something in a year from now, if I would have any problems.

But I suppose that if I get the paper visa then it wont be a problem either way.
If you fly into TLV from abroad and get the removable paper attachment for entry, then no problem will arise from a passport providing obvious evidence of a visit to Israel -- as your passport's actual pages won't ordinarily have an Israeli stamp.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:25 am

Flying into Israel you can NOT get a stamp in your passport even if you wanted one. You have no worries there.

AND immigration does not "interrogate" you when you arrive. They ask questions, EVERY country asks questions. I have entered the UK and I have entered Barcelona and been asked questions as to why I am going etc.etc. This is the right of every country. I know people who are asked loads of questions prior to entry to the US.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Flying into Israel you can NOT get a stamp in your passport even if you wanted one. You have no worries there.

AND immigration does not "interrogate" you when you arrive. They ask questions, EVERY country asks questions. I have entered the UK and I have entered Barcelona and been asked questions as to why I am going etc.etc. This is the right of every country. I know people who are asked loads of questions prior to entry to the US.
I ve personally never been asked questions but I don't travel to 'difficult' countries so often.

I do agree that the US is probably more of a hassle than Israel and I would also certainly be anxious if I were to visit the US. Or Russia, China etc. for that matter.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:51 pm

"I ve personally never been asked questions but I don't travel to 'difficult' countries so often."

Israel is not a "difficult" country. It is a country that is going to make sure that its residents, and visitors stay safe. As long as you are coming as a tourist with no nefarious alternative reasons you will have no problems. Most people go through immigration in less than a minute.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:51 am

Amendment to previous post

No hassle might be the standard policy, you may neverthless enter into their profiling policy should you have the following patterns, even while travelling with a EU/US/latin american/... passport
- arabic origin name : this is case for some Brazilians with lebanon/syrian ancestors. European citizens from Maghreb immigration origin are clearly not treated the same way as other EU citizens with "traditional" names from Germany or France or any EU country.
Discrimination policy too for US citizens with Palestinian origin
- single travelling man under 40
- stated wish or potential "risk" to go to Palestinian territories. Being simply unable to provide the more or less detailed plans (= hotel names)/purposes of your trip can lead the officer to think you might be willing to go to territories
Be sure that, if you give an hotel/airbnb/friend name that you have an actual booking/agreement. they may call, even if landing at 3 am ....
- previous trip stamps from arab countries except Morocco/Jordan/ and maybe Egypt/EAU
others , and especially Syria, Lebanon,Irak, KSA, Yemen, Lybia,... will trigger the alarm for further investigation which can or not be enforced by the passport control officer

One or several of those profile factors, plus some unknown/secret, can lead to have you set in a corner for eventual further check during several hours, with control of your facebook/private email page for instance

good luck and enjoy your trip, fascinating country and very worthwhile visiting
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bebert
Amendment to previous post

No hassle might be the standard policy, you may neverthless enter into their profiling policy should you have the following patterns, even while travelling with a EU/US/latin american/... passport
- arabic origin name : this is case for some Brazilians with lebanon/syrian ancestors. European citizens from Maghreb immigration origin are clearly not treated the same way as other EU citizens with "traditional" names from Germany or France or any EU country.
Discrimination policy too for US citizens with Palestinian origin
- single travelling man under 40
- stated wish or potential "risk" to go to Palestinian territories. Being simply unable to provide the more or less detailed plans (= hotel names)/purposes of your trip can lead the officer to think you might be willing to go to territories
Be sure that, if you give an hotel/airbnb/friend name that you have an actual booking/agreement. they may call, even if landing at 3 am ....
- previous trip stamps from arab countries except Morocco/Jordan/ and maybe Egypt/EAU
others , and especially Syria, Lebanon,Irak, KSA, Yemen, Lybia,... will trigger the alarm for further investigation which can or not be enforced by the passport control officer

One or several of those profile factors, plus some unknown/secret, can lead to have you set in a corner for eventual further check during several hours, with control of your facebook/private email page for instance

good luck and enjoy your trip, fascinating country and very worthwhile visiting
I will be travelling alone and I am a young male, yes. But is being a single backpacker so strange in 2016? The rest doesnt apply to me.

I guess I won't have any problems, thank you for the detailed info !
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
"I ve personally never been asked questions but I don't travel to 'difficult' countries so often."

Israel is not a "difficult" country. It is a country that is going to make sure that its residents, and visitors stay safe. As long as you are coming as a tourist with no nefarious alternative reasons you will have no problems. Most people go through immigration in less than a minute.
I did not mean to insult, all I am saying is that I have only travelled to countries without any form of serious border control (within Schengen, or to balkan countries where they just lazily look at the passport then let you through, or to brazil which I am a citizen of so no real border control for me).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:11 pm

I have been to Israel, Egypt, UAE with same passport and no one cared Bakpapier.

Egypt may change its rules in the future. But for the moment, your fine.

Iran has never been on my visit list. Although I hear there are some amazing historic sites there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.