Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Dubai!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
First time in Dubai!

Hello! I just booked a cheap fare on Qatar next week ($577 RT in Y from JFK) and I'll have about 4 days in Dubai. It'll be my first time and I'm really excited, so I was looking for recommendations for things I HAVE to do for my first time there. I would also like to go to Abu Dhabi for the day possibly. I booked the Grand Hyatt since I had a free Hyatt night to use. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
There's enough to do in Dubai to keep you busy for a month What kind of things do you like to do ? Shopping ? Dining ? Adventure ? Culture & history ? Sports ?

Just as important, when are you coming ? The weather will determine how much time you can reasonably spend outdoors, as will your budget. Dubai needn't be expensive if you are careful.

I guess most people do the usual Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, fountain, aquarium, Marina area, etc. Is it about putting the 'right' selfies on FB or getting a taste of the region ?

Your hotel isn't exactly central but it's quite close to the creek at the northern end of town, but about a km from the nearest metro stations. Taxis are pretty cheap and all are govt regulated and metered.

Abu Dhabi is around 120km away and an easy day trip by taxi or intercity bus. Taxi will be around 250 dhs on the meter, or the bus a tenth of that. Don't miss the grand mosque.

I think you need to do some more reading and research and see what catches your eye.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
There's enough to do in Dubai to keep you busy for a month What kind of things do you like to do ? Shopping ? Dining ? Adventure ? Culture & history ? Sports ?

Just as important, when are you coming ? The weather will determine how much time you can reasonably spend outdoors, as will your budget. Dubai needn't be expensive if you are careful.

I guess most people do the usual Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, fountain, aquarium, Marina area, etc. Is it about putting the 'right' selfies on FB or getting a taste of the region ?

Your hotel isn't exactly central but it's quite close to the creek at the northern end of town, but about a km from the nearest metro stations. Taxis are pretty cheap and all are govt regulated and metered.

Abu Dhabi is around 120km away and an easy day trip by taxi or intercity bus. Taxi will be around 250 dhs on the meter, or the bus a tenth of that. Don't miss the grand mosque.

I think you need to do some more reading and research and see what catches your eye.
Hi! Interested in getting a taste of the region but also explore as much that Dubai has to offer! Booking the observation deck at the Burj Khalifa as I type this, also was thinking of doing afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab. I definitely want to do Abu Dhabi one day for sure!

I'll be there next week so I assume being indoors a lot may be a good idea with the weather now haha

Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:53 am

I would do one day in 'new' Dubai, i.e. Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, etc; one day in 'old' Dubai, i.e. museum, preservation area, creek, souks, etc; a day trip to Abu Dhabi; and finally a day for odds and ends.

Google for the NatGeo walking guides around the older areas.

There are varied views on the Burj Al Arab. $170 for afternoon tea is eye-watering-bordering-on-offensive but having a dining reservation is the only way to access the property, or evening cocktails (min spend $95pp).

It's around 35C (95F) during the day now. Warm but not oppressively hot or humid.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
I would do one day in 'new' Dubai, i.e. Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, etc; one day in 'old' Dubai, i.e. museum, preservation area, creek, souks, etc; a day trip to Abu Dhabi; and finally a day for odds and ends.

Google for the NatGeo walking guides around the older areas.

There are varied views on the Burj Al Arab. $170 for afternoon tea is eye-watering-bordering-on-offensive but having a dining reservation is the only way to access the property, or evening cocktails (min spend $95pp).

It's around 35C (95F) during the day now. Warm but not oppressively hot or humid.
Thank you so much! Very excited. Booked afternoon tea and the top floor of the Burj Khalifa just now. Made those reservations all in the same day so I'll be able to see a lot of the city that day hopefully. Thanks again, really appreciate your help!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Take a look at the Park Hyatt over the Grand Hyatt is my top tip!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:09 am

The Park Hyatt has nicer, more extensive grounds. The Grand Hyatt has arguably the best hotel pool in the city.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Southwest
Flights to Dubai

Anybody know any good deals on Flights to Dubai from LAX or San Francisco to Dubai? What do you recommend? What is the best way to book a 1 week stay in Dubai around the 4 star level?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.