Wiki Posts
Search

14-hour layover in Doha

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / MM
14-hour layover in Doha

We'll be transiting DOH in June and have a 14-hour layover (arrive 1800, depart 0800) and want to get out of the airport. With immigration and the return to the airport, I'm guessing we won't have time for anything more than dinner, a walk around, and a little sleep.

Please recommend a hotel / restaurants / sights to take advantage of our short time in Doha. Near the souk or another interesting area for outdoor dining and walking?

We've got ~8 hours in DOH on the return (2200 to 0600). Any suggestions for killing that amount of time in the airport?

Thanks,
Tom
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
I came over to this forum to search this very question. I have the same layover hours even. Information from a couple years ago won't apply since the airport is new. Hopefully someone will enlighten us both.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
The best hotel in my experience is Lacigale but it is likely pricey.

As far as what to do, depending on the day of arrival and how quick you get out of the airport, you could try to catch Souq Waqif. Their hours are http://www.souq-waqif-doha.com/opening-hours/

I don't think you will catch the Islamic Museum of Art (they close at 8 on weekends and 5:30 on weekdays) http://www.mia.org.qa/en/visiting/opening-times
or the National Museum (http://www.qm.org.qa/en/project/national-museum-qatar)
Old May 24, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The DoubleTree Old Town is ten minutes from the airport and is usually reasonably priced.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
The DoubleTree Old Town is ten minutes from the airport and is usually reasonably priced.
Coincidentally, I booked the Doubletree last week. We'll walk the Corniche then head over to the souk for dinner and browsing.

On the return, we'll get a room at the airport hotel or maybe just hit their pool and gym for a few hours.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: GE, UA silver, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Please be prepared for the heat.... it is *very* hot here in the middle east in June! Husband and I cannot walk outside for exercise until around 9-10 pm, so please manage your expectations as far as walking/exploring. It may also be Ramadan while you are here. But please enjoy the desert beauty here - it's quite a wonderful place to experience.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
The oryx rotana is closest to the airport, but I had a horrible experience there. The old classic marriott has always been dependable.
I second the suggestion of lacigale, but may be too pricey for the circumstances.
If you can catch Souq waqif, may be worth the trip. Lots of hotels nearby, but will be a significant commute to the airport.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Had a great layover at the Doubletree. About an hour from landing to our room. Easy taxi ride, great new hotel just off the Corniche. Walked to and from the souq, a little warm at 7pm but fine at 10pm. A little shopping and a mediocre dinner was OK. A nice shower and a great bed was awesome! Caught a taxi on the street the next morning back to the airport.

On the return, we had 8.5 hours and did not feel like going into town. No free STPC so we sucked up the cost for the airport hotel. Started at $370 (no reservation), then down to $310, ended up at $241, about what it costs to book online. My wife and daughter were aghast that I was willing to walk away from a bed and shower - it was 11:30pm and we just spent 7.5 hours in A320 economy (ZNZ-JRO-DOH). Clean room, great location (obviously). We checked out at 7:00am for our 8:05 departure.

Tom
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomanova

We've got ~8 hours in DOH on the return (2200 to 0600). Any suggestions for killing that amount of time in the airport?

Thanks,
Tom
Originally Posted by skipaway
I came over to this forum to search this very question. I have the same layover hours even. Information from a couple years ago won't apply since the airport is new. Hopefully someone will enlighten us both.
Was researching the exact same thing. Land at 6pm and leaving at 7am. Did you two feel it was worth going out? I am trying to avoid spending on the airside airport hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.