Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Muscat - Day Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Muscat - Day Tour

We'll probably be visiting Muscat for one day.. Will have the full day to tour.

Given that we are only there for one day, which one would be a better choice.. Crown Plaza or Holiday Inn Seet?

Are there any good companies for full day tours? Do they typically come to the hotel to pick you up?

Thanks

Last edited by NetBrowser07; Jan 25, 2016 at 4:02 am Reason: Question added
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:58 pm

I don't know of any specific tour companies, but you if you know where you want to go, you can hire any taxi driver for the day. The hotel can arrange one for you, or ask the one who drives you from the airport.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Either hotel is fine. The HI is close to the airport and modern, spacious and good value. The staff are very friendly. However, the immediate area is unremarkable, the pool area is small and I believe it's still 'dry'. The CP is an older hotel but has extensive grounds down to the sea, lovely views and plenty of drinking opportunities.

Do you want a tour as a means of transportation, or to get some context as you travel around ? If you want to take the taxi option, I have a guy I know and would recommend. He's friendly and speaks excellent English.

Otherwise, look at a map, rent a car and plan your own itinerary. There's some fun driving to be had on the highways through the mountains.

Be aware that Muscat is spaced out over a wide area and you will be covering quite some distance. e.g. those two hotels are 20 miles apart.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I had a car when I went there for a couple of days and I was glad of it. Driving standards are not great but not awful. Worse than most European, slightly better than California Bay Area - so entirely survivable. Petrol is extremely cheap. Parking was a bit of a pain near the souk but otherwise OK, and even by the (central) souk I just drove up and down for 10 minutes until I passed an empty space and grabbed it. Speed limits are enforced by many cameras, as are red lights in the city. Insulting someone, including giving them the finger when they cut you up on the road, is in theory punishable in law so remaining calm is a fine idea.

The souk is well worth a visit and a walk around, the Sultan Qaboos mosque is very impressive (go in the morning, it's only open to unbelievers in the morning in the long gap between morning and midday prayers, and go appropriately dressed). It's easy to go into the inland areas too and see the mountains and desert areas.

Oman has some really crazy geology, you can spend a long time looking at the landscape.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Hire a driver for 3 hours

We were just in Muscat and you can hire a taxi for 3 hours to do a city tour. There is a standard rate of 30 rials for this. While we were at the Grand Hyatt, we used Mohammed who spoke excellent English and went with us into the mosque for example. His email is [email protected]
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:16 am

You could also rent a car. It is easy to get around in Muscat. Maybe you can drive to the Wadi Shab. This is a 90 min drive from Muskat and a really nice place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.