Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Getting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
If you like living life in the fast lane (literally) rent a car! I rented a BMW 540i and drove 200 km/hr on a very smooth freeway.
PS. Everyone else was driving the same way
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although the first two or so posts were apt for the United forum, the bulk and recent (of the) discussion is really much more apt in FlyerTalk's Middle East forum. Please follow it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
If you like living life in the fast lane (literally) rent a car! I rented a BMW 540i and drove 200 km/hr on a very smooth freeway.
PS. Everyone else was driving the same way
There's a reason that traffic accidents are the biggest killer of young men in this part of the world. Driving here is clueless enough without your assistance

If you intend to do this, cancel your credit card afterwards otherwise you will receive speeding fines passed on by the rental company. There are cameras and patrols everywhere. Highway limit is 120km/h although the cameras are generally calibrated to 130.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:14 am

Actually, the AD-DXB highway cameras are set for 141km/h. You are allowed a grace margin of 20km/h on most speed cameras.

If going at 200km/h and getting caught at all the speed cameras along the way, it will be more than $5k in fines (300USD a pop, and there is certainly 20 along the way if not more), and the possibility of having the car impounded, which you will be paying the rental for.

Stupidest advice ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.