Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha: 15Hr layover/late arrival/during Ramadan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt

I've read a number of the "what to do in Doha on a long layover" threads but I think I have a unique question. I arrive late from CGK during Ramadan and have ~ 15 hours in town. Suggestions? I will probably be too late for any museum and leave too early (1:30PM departure) for much more than a leisurely walk on the corniche (which is fine by me). Am I limiting myself or are there other options within that time frame?

Also, not having experienced the ME during Ramadan, what can I expect in Doha? I believe that there is no alcohol in Qatar during Ramadan - correct? (and not a problem but Krug in the QR lounge would have been nice ). Since I am assuming hotel arrival time at roughly 11PM, will I still be able to experience an iftar-type meal [if that is the proper description for the break fast meal -- albeit I don't know if foreigners partake?] Anything akin to IST where some restaurants serve set menus to break fast? I really just want to be able to eat late night and was hoping for something "special." Breakfast aka suhoor? Will hotels change their meals or serve earlier? I guess that I'm just fishing for a bit of info (without sounding too uncultured but not wanting to be an oaf in country) that I can't find elsewhere. That being said, is visiting Doha during Ramadan similar to any other time of the year except that no one is eating during the day?

As an aside, if anyone has Cairo info for similar circumstances, i.e., 1 night during Ramadan, please PM or add a note

Cheers -

Edit: Found a Qatar tourism Authority website that states: The taxi fare from the airport to any destination in Doha should not exceed QR25 (US$7). Lots of other posts I've read list QR25 as the drop once one gets into a taxi rather than the total cost

Last edited by thegrailer; Jun 15, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Ramadan nights are generally pretty festive in the GCC. Many hotels will be hosting elaborate iftar/suhour buffets that go late into the night. While suhour it technically the early meal before daybreak, in hotels it's more the late seating where people stay up late before heading to bed (while iftar is at sunset).

Check with your hotel, but look around for ones that go all out.

http://www.timeoutdoha.com/ramadan/f...r-in-doha-2015
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Booked a hotel near the souk and had a wonderful time eating with the locals late night.

Cheers

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 4, 2015 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Edit: Found a Qatar tourism Authority website that states: The taxi fare from the airport to any destination in Doha should not exceed QR25 (US$7). Lots of other posts I've read list QR25 as the drop once one gets into a taxi rather than the total cost
I guess it's moot for you now, but to address this point: you are correct, the flag drop from the airport is QAR 25. So it should cost anywhere from 35 to get to the beginning outskirts of the city (like the Marriott hotel) to 75 to get to the far end (like the Ritz-Carlton). The starting price anywhere other than the airport is something like QAR 5 if I remember correctly.

Glad you enjoyed suhour. These are fun. Also, for future reference, a few hotels (like the W) have alcohol in the minibars and via room service during Ramadan. At least they did in the past -- the rules are always changing in Qatar and I haven't visited this year during Ramadan.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Screwed up on my way back to the airport. Hotel called for a taxi and I failed to make sure the cabbie was running his meter. He quoted an outrageous amount - 75 no traffic from the souk to the airport (more than from the airport to the souk with an hour of bumper to bumper traffic) . Argued for a bit but wasn't sure what I could do about it . I hate when I let my guard down and forget simple things when traveling -- the hotel staff was just so nice and friendly, I simply didn't stay frosty.

Cheers
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Again I am sorry it's too late for you for this trip, but the proper action would be to just get out of the taxi without paying. No meter = free, as in many jurisdictions. (Assuming, of course, that we are talking about the standard blue meter taxis.)

This happens more and more often in Doha. If you leave one of the night clubs late then there is a good chance that a taxi will try to take advantage. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. I usually stiff the guy, or pay QAR 10 (which is the minimum fare in any event) if I am feeling particularly gracious.

I feel bad for taxi drivers, whose employers usually treat them poorly; if one tries to negotiate an off-meter fare before the trip starts, then I usually am amenable to this because it can benefit both sides, or at least benefit the driver and leave the passenger no worse off. But of course I have little sympathy when one is trying to take advantage of a tourist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.