Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Third Party Car Insurance at TLV on CC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

I recently rented a car for a week and happily discovered that my BA Visa card from Chase covers the CDW and theft insurance in Israel (and they even gave me a letter saying so in case I ran into a stubborn agent at the counter). However the mandated third party insurance cost me 60 shekels a day (this was more than the actual rental price per day). So the question is - do any of the Israeli or foreign CCs (the new LY card, for example?) provide the third party (צד ג) insurance for Israeli car rentals? If not is there some kind of policy available from an insurance company that is cheaper?

If I can figure out a way to make this work, I'll rent cars a lot more frequently at TLV.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
As far as I'm aware, Israeli CCs don't provide insurance coverage for rental cars at all.
AFAIK, when you rent a car, the compulsory insurance (ביטוח חובה) is mandatory for everyone, no matter what policy they may have from their own insurance companies and/or credit cards.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by joshwex90
AFAIK, when you rent a car, the compulsory insurance (ביטוח חובה) is mandatory for everyone, no matter what policy they may have from their own insurance companies and/or credit cards.
In Israel there are two kinds of insurance - compulsory and third party. The compulsory, as implied by its name, is mandatory and every car in Israel must have it, however the Israeli law does not require you to have a third party insurance, and its up to, for example, the car rental company.

As for NYTA's question, I'm afraid I can't help you. However, usually, when I book rental cars outside of Israel I always do that via Israeli firms (usually Avis Israel) as they usually give me a complete insurance everywhere in the world. Maybe you should make the rental car booking via an Israeli company directly?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand - although generally, I've been offered מקיף - (meikif) "comprehensive." I've only had Third Party (tzad gimmel) offered with car ownership, not rental.

NYTA said the "mandatory" which implied he was referring to the compulsory - chova insurance.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

The way Avis explained it is that there is the CDW and LDW which are covered by my Chase credit card, but the mandatory insurance is third party insurance - which makes sense - if a tourist runs you over the government wants to make sure you are covered before that person goes home to some other country. My point is that given how expensive it is - I was thinking that some enterprising credit card company would have coverage that covers this - or even some Israeli auto insurance company that I could buy a policy from for my occasional renting. At 60 shekels a day if I rent for a week a month we're talking 420 a month - I don't have a car in Israel but that seems up there with what liability insurance would cost for a full month of driving, so why wouldn't some company sell me a policy for 200 a week? I guess it's worth my calling an Israeli insurance company to ask the question.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct in what the chova covers and in why the law is in place and in that it is expensive.
Unfortunately, no Israeli credit card covers it.

As for foreign credit cards covering it, that may be why many cards used to not cover Israel. Legally, I'm not sure they'd be allowed to cover it. On the flip side, the car companies are required to quote prices with the chova included, so you can always just look at it as the cost of the car before insurance

I know that virtually all Israeli auto insurance companies/agencies do NOT cover rental insurance at all
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
The way Avis explained it is that there is the CDW and LDW which are covered by my Chase credit card, but the mandatory insurance is third party insurance - which makes sense - if a tourist runs you over the government wants to make sure you are covered before that person goes home to some other country.
I don't think that is related to the government. The 3rd party insurance is not required by law in Israel both to residents and visitors. In fact, the compulsory insurance is what covers body injuries to both the driver and the ones he hit. The 3rd party insurance is meant to cover property of others you destroy - e.g. if you made an accident with another car, and it's your fault, the 3rd party insurance covers the damage to the other car, or if you crash into someone's house - the 3rd party insurance covers it (when the accident is your responsibility, the Israeli law requires you to pay for any damage to property you make and that's what the 3rd party insurance is for). Therefore the Israeli law does not require 3rd party insurance. However, the rental company may require that to rent you a car, and thats completely legal...

Last edited by gordo6; Oct 18, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gordo6
I don't think that is related to the government. The 3rd party insurance is not required by law in Israel both to residents and visitors. In fact, the compulsory insurance is what covers body injuries to both the driver and the ones he hit. The 3rd party insurance is meant to cover property of others you destroy - e.g. if you made an accident with another car, and it's your fault, the 3rd party insurance covers the damage to the other car. Therefore the Israeli law does not require 3rd party insurance. However, the rental company may require that to rent you a car, and thats completely legal...
Israeli law requires chova which covers injury to other people
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Maybe, but 420 shekels a month is more than I paid for insurance on my car when I lived in NY state, including 3rd party, collision, and theft.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything is more expensive in Israel!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:50 am

I think that some of the rental car companies in Israel also operate leasing service. Maybe you can lease a car from them for the entire year (including full insurance and everything) and while you are abroad to park it in their parking/garage in TLV airport?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Did that already with Eldan - but they wouldn't let me park in their lot. The reality is that I only really need a car one or two weeks a month, not all the time, and certain months not at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.