Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car rental - TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental

Any suggestions for good website search?
Are international DL required?
I need to rent for a week in August, and don't want to prepay in case I can't go due to the conflict.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:26 am

"Eldan" is the company that is the most recommended on the forums.
"Shlomo-Sixt" is the company that has the most complaints posted.
Americans, Canadians, Europeans with standard licences in English or with English translations do not need an IDL. Best to get confirmation from the rental company.

Note:
- Get prices and details on the various company's Israeli web site, not their international one, i.e. xxxxx.co.il and not xxxxx.com
- There are no drop-off charges (except sometimes in Eilat)
- All rental offices are closed from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning except the ones in the airport, which are open 24/7.
- you don't need a car in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem because of the traffic and parking problems.
- you can't take an Israeli rental car into areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority (it is not insured there), but you can take it into Israeli-controlled areas n the West Bank, e.g. Highways 1 & 90

Last edited by mbgg; Jul 14, 2014 at 7:34 am
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mbgg
- you don't need a car in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem because of the traffic and parking problems.
I would put this even more strongly: you don't want a car in either of those two cities. Even if you don't want to get involved with public transport, taxis are plentiful and, because trips tend to be short, will probably cost less per day than a rental.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Note that Avis are the only car rental company at TLV where you can pick up and drop off your car at the terminal without having to hop on a shuttle.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Efrem
I would put this even more strongly: you don't want a car in either of those two cities. Even if you don't want to get involved with public transport, taxis are plentiful and, because trips tend to be short, will probably cost less per day than a rental.
It really depends where OP will be and when. If coming for 7 days, and spreading around, better have a car than deal with return and re-rental as you enter/leave the cities.

In center of Jerusalem, parking may be difficult. If staying in more residential areas or at hotels with nice parking lots, a car isn't as bad.

(Not advocating one way or the other without more info. If OP provides more info, we can help more regarding best options.)

Originally Posted by clubman
Note that Avis are the only car rental company at TLV where you can pick up and drop off your car at the terminal without having to hop on a shuttle.
Eldan and Avis allow this
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It really depends where OP will be and when. If coming for 7 days, and spreading around, better have a car than deal with return and re-rental as you enter/leave the cities...
A valid point, if you're going to park it someplace for the duration. I was thinking in terms of driving around Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem, then trying to park wherever you drove to. Not something I'd want to do in general, though there are obviously specific origins and destinations where it would be practical.

(... If OP provides more info, we can help more regarding best options.)
Can't argue with that!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
A valid point, if you're going to park it someplace for the duration. I was thinking in terms of driving around Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem, then trying to park wherever you drove to. Not something I'd want to do in general, though there are obviously specific origins and destinations where it would be practical.

Can't argue with that!
This I agree with. I hate driving around much of central Jerusalem and all of Tel Aviv. (Only place I hate driving more is Manhattan. Bnei Brak is a close second!)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:20 pm

The obvious solution is to stay in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem at the start and end of the vacation. That way you can pick up the car when you leave the first city and return it when you arrive in the second.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Arriving at TLV on 8/13 then staying 2 nights at the Grand Beach hotel, then going to the American Colony in Jerusalem for 3 nights then to the Ruth Daniel, then to airport.
The Grand Beach does not have their own parking, The American Colony and Ruth Daniel do have their own. I was going to pick up/return the car at the airport.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Arriving at TLV on 8/13 then staying 2 nights at the Grand Beach hotel, then going to the American Colony in Jerusalem for 3 nights then to the Ruth Daniel, then to airport.
The Grand Beach does not have their own parking, The American Colony and Ruth Daniel do have their own. I was going to pick up/return the car at the airport.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:33 pm

As posted several times above: you do not need a car in Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem. You do not want a car in Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem. You will take public transport everywhere because it is so much easier than negotiating traffic and looking for parking !! Take a taxi or train&taxi from the airport to Tel-Aviv; take the Nesher sherut (shuttle) from your Jerusalem hotel to the airport.

The airport is located between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem so there is no need to go back to Tel-Aviv before going to the airport; go directly from Jerusalem!!!!!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockey7711
If that's the case, then here's my suggestion:
  • Taxi from TLV to Grand Beach hotel OR Train from TLV to Tel Aviv Savidor Center, and taxi from there (cheaper, slight hassle - not worthwhile if lots of luggage)
  • Taxis around when leaving TLV. Buses navigating within Tel Aviv
  • Depending on luggage, you can either take a bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem plus buses within cities or taxi. A lot depends on both how much luggage you have AND how much you're willing to spend. The same applies on the return from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv.
  • For return from Tel Aviv to the airport, same as you got to Tel Aviv. (Download GetTaxi and set it up with an credit card that doesn't have a FTF. Your best bet every time you want a taxi except transiting from TLV to Tel Aviv, as they currently aren't allowed to pick up arriving passengers. You can use them though from the train if you need or to return to the airport. This helps when dealing with annoying driver, haggling on fare, etc.)
  • Only rent a car if going somewhere far out of the 2 main cities (up north of south)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Any suggestions for the best way to get from a hotel in Jerusalem to another hotel in Tel Aviv (Rennaisance)? Two people with normal luggage for a week+ trip. If renting a car is a good idea, I'm open to that. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Any suggestions for the best way to get from a hotel in Jerusalem to another hotel in Tel Aviv (Rennaisance)? Two people with normal luggage for a week+ trip. If renting a car is a good idea, I'm open to that. Thanks.
Is convenience more important than money?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Is convenience more important than money?
I don't know how to answer that one. If I had a rental car, I would use it for more than just getting from A to B. It's likely I wouldn't pay for a taxi ride as I imagine that would be quite a considerable sum. Is that slow train a waste of time (especially with luggage)? Other options?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.