Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Better not get raped, Dubai travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others

After reporting a rape in Dubai, this Norwegian tourist has been sentenced to 16 months in jail for sex outside of marriage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

They put a glamorous facade on their primitive backwardness, but a case like this rips off the face they show the world.

Last edited by flamingpanties; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:43 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Oh Boy )-:

Stories like these upset me to the core!!! I would SO love to share my unbridled opinion...

Last edited by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:24 pm

Thanks for the link. Quite disturbing.

There are lots of stories like this. I strongly encourage anyone going to Dubai to learn about their 'different' legal structure and the very harsh penalties. I have read of people being jailed for:

- kissing on the lips (only witness was a two year old)
BBC article

- tiny amounts of drugs (0.003g of marijuana stuck to shoe)
BBC article
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP

I was considering a quick trip to Dubai with my bf but this definitely makes me pause
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I never knew these things about Dubai. Did you see this? "Meanwhile, a Swiss national is serving a four-year jail term after three poppy seeds from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow airport were found on his clothes."

Why does anyone go there?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dahaberm
I was considering a quick trip to Dubai with my bf but this definitely makes me pause
You should do yourselves a favor and travel to countries that are at least marginally civilized.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Middle East Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The law there in this regard is reason enough to avoid the place unless in the party of at least four men who can be trusted. Unfortunately this isn't always an option and the laws in too many places -- Dubai included -- aren't all ideal.

Her conviction on the additional charge of perjury got her sentenced to more prison time than the alleged rapist. About what did she lie and why would she lie to the authorities?

At least she is not currently sitting in a UAE prison, courtesy of her government's assistance -- others aren't so lucky to have governments that care and do everything it takes to try to get their people out. Perhaps it helps that she isn't one of Norway's ethnic minority citizens who have previously not managed to have this kind of help despite questionable prosecution in foreign locales.

This kind of bizarre law enforcement is reason enough to minimize travel to some places.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I just saw her interviewed on TV. Seems she called reception at her hotel and told them to call the police, she needed to report a rape. The receptionist said "you really don't want to do that", but she decided to put her trust in the authorities designated to protect citizens and visitors....
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:01 pm
Suspended

See also "Rape haven Dubai", http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...ven-dubai.html
Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I just saw her interviewed on TV. Seems she called reception at her hotel and told them to call the police, she needed to report a rape. The receptionist said "you really don't want to do that", but she decided to put her trust in the authorities designated to protect citizens and visitors....
In another interview she indicated that the hotel rep asked a leading question rather than make an explicit direction about (not) contacting the police. She indeed did seem to put some trust in the authorities there. Given her being convicted on the charge of perjury, apparently the trust in one or both directions was not complete.

Even in other kinds of situations beside that which the UAE considers to be unlawful fornication involving alcohol use, the police and other security services in the UAE aren't to be trusted. Beside blaming the alleged victims, they also have some history of torturing alleged suspects and even sometimes alleged victims (more readily when the involved suspects are not of European ethnic heritages).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flamingpanties
After reporting a rape in Dubai, this Norwegian tourist has been sentenced to 16 months in jail for sex outside of marriage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

They put a glamorous facade on their primitive backwardness, but a case like this rips off the face they show the world.
I wouldn't even transfer flights in a ...... place like that. Stay far away.

All supported by the good old USA.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Funny how people believe what they read.............Come on now. There is a lot more to these stories then the little bit written about them. Ive lived in Dubai 13 years now,(since my late 20's) me, an American Jew who loves to drink, go out, have fun and I have NEVER EVER had a problem..nor have any of my friends......The Dubai police are probably the most professional police Dept in the middle east (with the exception of Israel)

Dont believe everything you read
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Funny how people believe what they read.............Come on now. There is a lot more to these stories then the little bit written about them. Ive lived in Dubai 13 years now,(since my late 20's) me, an American Jew who loves to drink, go out, have fun and I have NEVER EVER had a problem..nor have any of my friends......The Dubai police are probably the most professional police Dept in the middle east (with the exception of Israel)

I have spent quite a bit of time in Dubai for the past 1.5 years. I find these stories outrageous, but at the same time wondering how it is even possible. Everything I have witnessed shows a very open society not only tolerant of western ways, but behind closed doors it is quite common for locals to be "western".

For sure, it is high time that the UAE modifies its laws to coincide with what they are trying to turn their land into, and that is a worldwide destination for all people.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr

You've got to be kidding me.

This is not the first report of this type of barbaric treatment of alleged rape victims in the UAE. To me the victims appeared to be credible. Even assuming their stories are not 100% accurate, the preponderance of evidence even if it only the accounts of the victims in the media is enough that I would never set foot inside of the UAE.

Similarly, even though I am a heterosexual male, I will not set foot inside of Russia due recently enacted laws with respect to homosexuality.

That said, I respect everyone's right to make their own moral and ethical choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.