Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Jeddah - what to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD

Was just offered a job in Saudi (Jeddah). Anyone have experience living as an expat there? Excluding a few-week biz trip to Dubai, the closest I've gotten to Jeddah is where I am now, which is more of a mix of Asia and Middle East than Middle East proper.

Would be curious what sorts of things I should normally expect to be included in my package (ie car, rental home, medical, intl schools, tickets home).

Also curious what the expat life is like (are all the expats corralled to a certain part of town? Can I get anything I want if I pay, much like Dubai (like Wine?))

Finally, off the top of my head, what apartments are like there style wise (are Western style available?), and what sorts of availability exists for flights in/out to the USA.

Wouldn't hurt to know what credit card acceptance is like either so I can plan ahead
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I lived briefly in Riyadh, not Jeddah, and in Qatar now.

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Would be curious what sorts of things I should normally expect to be included in my package (ie car, rental home, medical, intl schools, tickets home).
It depends on the job. Yes, a typical white-collar job offer often includes these things, but it's hard to generalize. You already have a job offer, right, so are you seeking to benchmark? I would rather have all of my comp in cash, but some people value in-kind benefits for some reason.

Also curious what the expat life is like (are all the expats corralled to a certain part of town? Can I get anything I want if I pay, much like Dubai (like Wine?)).
No to the first question. As to the second question, alcohol is illegal in KSA, unlike the UAE. You could probably find it unofficially; I don't know how easy it is and what the risks are. I wouldn't bother; you can fly to Dubai/Bahrain or elsewhere every weekend.

Finally, off the top of my head, what apartments are like there style wise (are Western style available?), and what sorts of availability exists for flights in/out to the USA.

Wouldn't hurt to know what credit card acceptance is like either so I can plan ahead
As for the first question, probably, though you'll find the standard lower than in the Western world. No U.S. airlines fly to KSA, but some of the major European carriers do, so you will have no problem getting to any U.S. gateway with a relatively convenient one-stop in Europe. Also regional airlines like RJ, MS, and the Gulf carriers serve JED. It's not the most convenient or cheapest destination, but pretty well-served (much more than TAS, for example).

I don't think you would have a problem with U.S. credit cards.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I'm also an ex-resident of Riyadh, and still an infrequent visitor.

mecabq makes some excellent points, so I'll just add the following from a western perspective:

- JED is said to be a lot more relaxed than, particularly, RUH, and you have the beach, etc for leisure. But it's still KSA, so no alcohol, limited social interaction with locals, no bars, cinemas, theatres, etc. You may be offered illicit alcohol (and more) but it's best to say 'no thank you'

- JED is coastal so the climate is v humid as well as v hot in the summer, similar to DXB, DOH, BAH, etc. I prefer the dry desert heat of RUH. Depends what you're used to

- check out the ex-pat internet boards for questions regarding your employment package and others' experiences, but it will depend mostly on what you can negotiate. Would you be working for a western company ?

- you can live on compound surrounded by other bored westerners, but at least you get to talk to women . Personally, I always preferred to live outside in an apartment in the city, even if quality and maintenance are slightly lower than western standards. Are you taking family ? Women may find life more restricted off-compound ... and bored stupid on-compound.

- you'll have no problem with western credit cards in hotels, stores, etc, but it may be better to get a local bank account eventually to save on fees. Much day-to-day spending is still cash

- as a OW and ST elite you have multiple options. For OW, BA fly to JED from LHR and Saudia are now in ST so you can earn on the DL program - see recent TRs here on FT. There are multiple options - legacy and low cost - for getting out to more civilised places in the Gulf.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mecabq
It depends on the job. Yes, a typical white-collar job offer often includes these things, but it's hard to generalize. You already have a job offer, right, so are you seeking to benchmark? I would rather have all of my comp in cash, but some people value in-kind benefits for some reason.
Increase in cash comp is harder for them to swallow vs perks; trying to see what I can get away with during negotiation...

No to the first question. As to the second question, alcohol is illegal in KSA, unlike the UAE. You could probably find it unofficially; I don't know how easy it is and what the risks are. I wouldn't bother; you can fly to Dubai/Bahrain or elsewhere every weekend.
Drat. I have wine making equipment in the basement that I'll probably have to toss (I would assume I can't make it either legally).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunk
- JED is said to be a lot more relaxed than, particularly, RUH, and you have the beach, etc for leisure. But it's still KSA, so no alcohol, limited social interaction with locals, no bars, cinemas, theatres, etc. You may be offered illicit alcohol (and more) but it's best to say 'no thank you'
Interesting - so no cinemas; does that mean I can't buy / download movies (via apple store and such) because it's illegal or is it just not common but ok to view privately?. Movies and wine are two of my favorite hobbies. Could be a long (in a bad way) assignment.

- JED is coastal so the climate is v humid as well as v hot in the summer, similar to DXB, DOH, BAH, etc. I prefer the dry desert heat of RUH. Depends what you're used to
Not really used to anything; every year or so I live somewhere with a completely different climate (Shanghai, Seoul, Tashkent, New York, etc...)

- check out the ex-pat internet boards for questions regarding your employment package and others' experiences, but it will depend mostly on what you can negotiate. Would you be working for a western company ?
No, owner is KSA born. About half the senior leadership team are Foreigners though.

- you can live on compound surrounded by other bored westerners, but at least you get to talk to women . Personally, I always preferred to live outside in an apartment in the city, even if quality and maintenance are slightly lower than western standards. Are you taking family ? Women may find life more restricted off-compound ... and bored stupid on-compound.
I have a wife and young (really young) kid. I have plenty of non-bordem just sitting at home waiting for me every night.

- you'll have no problem with western credit cards in hotels, stores, etc, but it may be better to get a local bank account eventually to save on fees. Much day-to-day spending is still cash
Drat. I hate cash countries, which is everywhere I've been except the US (even Korea - who is light years ahead of most of its neighbors - prefers to be a cash country). Cash is tougher to track and a PITA to carry around.

- as a OW and ST elite you have multiple options. For OW, BA fly to JED from LHR and Saudia are now in ST so you can earn on the DL program - see recent TRs here on FT. There are multiple options - legacy and low cost - for getting out to more civilised places in the Gulf.
Good tip. thanks! Weekend wine night in Dubai may be on the monthly agenda
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Don't forget about weekend trips to Amman or Beirut.

AMM is about a 2 hour flight and BEY is a 3 hour flight.

There are also nonstop flights to Sharm el-Sheikh (SSH) 1h30m.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Interesting - so no cinemas; does that mean I can't buy / download movies (via apple store and such) because it's illegal or is it just not common but ok to view privately?. Movies and wine are two of my favorite hobbies. Could be a long (in a bad way) assignment.
No problem to download and view privately. They block various internet sites, and bandwidth is slow, but otherwise you can do this.

Not really used to anything; every year or so I live somewhere with a completely different climate (Shanghai, Seoul, Tashkent, New York, etc...)
Sounds like a great career. Good for you. In that case, you should enjoy your year in Jeddah -- certainly something different. +1 to the travel opportunities -- Beirut, Egypt as a previous poster mentioned; Amman is less interesting but worth a visit; Istanbul is easy to get to from Jeddah too.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Sounds like a great career. Good for you. In that case, you should enjoy your year in Jeddah -- certainly something different. +1 to the travel opportunities -- Beirut, Egypt as a previous poster mentioned; Amman is less interesting but worth a visit; Istanbul is easy to get to from Jeddah too.
If only... I work for a massive global company now with locations in 160 countries. If I take this new job they have locations in 1 country (well, for my position anyway).

Only way out is to find another job. Wouldn't be nearly as concerned if the job was still with the present employer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.