Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Should I rent a car in Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I am debating renting a car or my 6 day visit. I arrive at 12:30 am on the LH from FRA and will go to Tel Aviv for a couple of days. I then went to go to the Dead Sea and Masada for two days and then final two days in Jerusalem before an 11:00 pm flight to EWR.

Is it a hassle to have a car. I have heard bus transport is pretty good. Comments?
Old May 7, 2013, 11:10 pm

You definitely do not need a car in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem because of the parking and traffic problems. Renting a car for a day or two to go to the Dead Sea is a good option - the highways are good and it will give you more flexibility. If you are thinking of visiting Massada, Ein Gedi Nature Reserve and go for a dip, there is a one-day tour that does all that:
http://www.abraham-hostel-jerusalem....ies/tours.aspx
If you also want to go to Qumran, spend time at a spa, etc, then rent a car for two days.
Old May 8, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I would agree that the casual visitor to Israel (not a regular) could find it very difficult to have a rental car. And expensive.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:52 pm

A rental car in Israel is not any more or less "difficult" than a rental car in any other country, i.e. if you normally rent a car on your other vacations elsewhere in the world, then there is no reason not to rent a car in Israel. The roads are good and all road signs have English on them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=isra...w=1024&bih=653
Old May 9, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold
Originally Posted by mbgg
A rental car in Israel is not any more or less "difficult" than a rental car in any other country, i.e. if you normally rent a car on your other vacations elsewhere in the world, then there is no reason not to rent a car in Israel. The roads are good and all road signs have English on them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=isra...w=1024&bih=653
regarding the roads youre correct, but as for "getting around" in a car in telaviv will be a hassle with finding parking space.
yes, there are alot of parking lots - but for the price of gas and parking hours? it is better just to take a 15 min (tops) drive in a cab.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just returned from Israel - I rented a car in Eilat and returned it a 9-days later at TLV. I drove thru the whole country and found renting/driving in Israel no different than in the US. Renting was very simple and, as long as you don't drive in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem (too crowded, parking issues, etc), it's not a big deal. FWIW, this was the first time I drove outside the US (other than Canada).

I rented from Eldan.

BTW, there are numerous bus-trips from Tel Aviv to the Dead Sea and Masada, but you may not be able to spend time at the Ein Gedi kibbutz and stop when you want to gawk at the sites.

IMHO, a car is a nice way to go.

bert
Old May 9, 2013, 11:58 am

I recommend renting a car only when visiting country areas - such as the Galilee region, Dead Sea region or the Negev region. Other than that - it's easy to get around main cities without a car, as it is easy to transfer between those cities (Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Be'er Sheva, Tiberias etc).

If you rent a car, road signs in Israel are all translated into English, so no problem to get around.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:25 pm

I will agree with those who say--no car for Jerusalem or Tel Aviv but a car is the best way to go to Masada and the Dead Sea. However, I am not quite sure what you plan on doing there for two days! ( sorry, I know that is not the question but....)
Old May 10, 2013, 12:05 am

regarding the roads youre correct, but as for "getting around" in a car in telaviv will be a hassle with finding parking space.
And that's exactly what I said: driving in Israel is the same as elsewhere. Driving in rural Britain, France or the USA is no problem, but driving in London, Paris or New York is a hassle. The same in Israel - Tel Aviv and Jerusalem have the same parking and traffic problems as any large city. Just apply the same logic that you would in any other country.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
Don't rent a car for tel aviv and Jerusalem.

(when taking taxi always opt for meter)
Old May 12, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
One last piece of advice would be for you to read carefully the posts about toll roads in Israel and rental car facility.

ie.

Renting from the 28 of month to the 3 of the month - 6 or 7 days later is a 2 month servie fee versus renting from the 3rd of the month to the 28th being within one month.

In addition to the monthly fee there is a per use fee.

The final bill will arrive as much as 5 or 6 months after the rental

and so on......
Old May 14, 2013, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thumper
One last piece of advice would be for you to read carefully the posts about toll roads in Israel and rental car facility.

ie.

Renting from the 28 of month to the 3 of the month - 6 or 7 days later is a 2 month servie fee versus renting from the 3rd of the month to the 28th being within one month.

In addition to the monthly fee there is a per use fee.

The final bill will arrive as much as 5 or 6 months after the rental

and so on......
Update;

Although I never have driven on Kevesh Shesh (6) my present Hertz contract has written on it what seems to be a 10 shek charge per trip they have to pay. So go from TLV to Acco its whatever the toll is plus 10 shek, get back on K6 and go to Nahariya its another 10 shek plus the tolls.Since onceyou exit that ends that trip.

Till now with Avis it was a fee for each month you used it = rent on 4/30 and go North return on May 1 = a double fee charge since it was used in 2 different months.

which is better will depend on how often and when you will drive on K6

Update #2 when I returned my car to Hertz I asked them and they said exactly what I posted above,if you go on and off K6 that is 1 trip, if you get right back on its as if you were never on it and you will be charged 10 sheks again

Last edited by craz; May 16, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old May 14, 2013, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I will agree with those who say--no car for Jerusalem or Tel Aviv but a car is the best way to go to Masada and the Dead Sea. However, I am not quite sure what you plan on doing there for two days! ( sorry, I know that is not the question but....)
I only saw it when leaving Ein Bokeks parking lot (Dead Sea area where all the hotels are) parked at the public beach.You now have to pay to park there like in any city by paying at the Pay Meter and display the receipt in your window. Also any parking spot on the road thru Ein Bokek requires payment as well now.

Ein Gedi looked like it hasn't been installed yet, don't know if it will be.But the water is a lot richer by Ein Bokek, some Hotels have installed electronic gates probably to keep the likes of someone like me from parking there
Old May 14, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by craz
Ein Gedi looked like it hasn't been installed yet, don't know if it will be.But the water is a lot richer by Ein Bokek, some Hotels have installed electronic gates probably to keep the likes of someone like me from parking there
They recently started to charge for parking at Ein Gedi's public beach.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:58 am

One tip I can offer to tourist hiring cars is to consider the purchase of an electronic parking card called "EasyPark". You'd have to work out if it's worth while for you depending on how long you are going to be in Israel or if you make multiple trips.

It's about 100 Shekels and is a national card you can use at any blue/white street parking. You only pay for the time you've parked. You can get them at most gas stations, the post office. They can be refilled with credit when it's finished and it even allows you to carry on parking when you've gone into minus!

We bought one of these for my brother-in-law that visits and hires a car twice a year. Very handy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.