Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taba, Egypt or Aqaba, Jordan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: priority pass, M&M, Aeroflot Bonus

I am travelling down to Red Sea through Israel (Eilat) and then want to stay 3-4 nights with my family (2+3) in one of nearby territories -on the right in Taba, Egypt or on the left in Aqaba, Jordan.
When in Aqaba, we would stay at Radisson Blu Tala Bay Resort; in Taba - at Taba Heights Marriott Red Sea Resort or Hilton Taba Resort & Nelson Village. What is the better place to stay?

Our priority - good beach, good food, activity for kids.

Would be happy to hear your recommendations!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:33 am
Suspended

Go to Jordan for security reasons. Egypt is too crazy now.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Why Egypt is crazy? Even Taba?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:06 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT Middle East Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Just back from a wonderful trip to Jordan, Israel and Taba (Egypt) with all my family (including 1.5 year old son). Wonderful vacation. Felt everywhere safe.
In Petra we stayed at the bedouin camp. In Taba - in Intercontinental Taba Heights (5*). Interestingly, the hotel in Taba (with half board) costed us around the same as bedouin camp.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ladyfirst
Just back from a wonderful trip to Jordan, Israel and Taba (Egypt) with all my family (including 1.5 year old son). Wonderful vacation. Felt everywhere safe.
In Petra we stayed at the bedouin camp. In Taba - in Intercontinental Taba Heights (5*). Interestingly, the hotel in Taba (with half board) costed us around the same as bedouin camp.
While Jordan is more expensive than Egypt overall, Taba is not a tourist hot spot as Petra. Also considering a general crisis of tourism in Egypt, I would expect Taba to be extremely cheap especially being closer to the border...

I would pick Aqaba over Taba.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stiwi
I would pick Aqaba over Taba.
Aqaba didn't offer so attractive prices. Triple more expensive.
Plus, diving in Taba looks more interesting and the resorts territories are considerably larger.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
IF you are OK with a resort-style stay - and there's nothing wrong with that - then Taba is good value: there are high quality chain hotels with solid facilities, at great prices. BUT nothing else. The beach areas are generally not too attractive, so you'll want to be somewhere with good pools.

Aqaba has a good places to stay and more in terms of infrastructure. The place to stay are more expensive than Taba's. BUT you get the opportunity to spend serious money to get see Petra.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I agree with IAN-UK. Taba has nice resorts but little else. I spent one night at (I think it was) the Hyatt there in 2005, straight off an EWR-TLV/SDV-ETH itinerary. There was good food and it was nice and relaxing, but there was nothing to recommend staying any longer.

Aqaba is a real city - there are restaurants, you can walk to this or that, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Agree. It all depends on what you want to do and to see. After spending 3 days in one of Petra's bedouine camps we wanted nothing esle but good diving and a comfort resort stay. Aqaba as a city didn't looked for us that attractive that we would want to stay there. Neither the beach/diving options.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I stopped participating in OMNI years ago to avoid these types of conversations. Jordanian infrastructure versus Sinai infrastructure - and by infrastructure I refer to electricity, roads, running water, crime, security, an organized tourist industry - simply cannot be compared. Jordan is another world many rungs above that area of Egypt. Your narrow interest in diving is probably why you found the area to be what you were looking for.

I chose the article I chose because it was relevant to the exact geography being discussed, and was the biggest example. For a more recent litany of law enforcement and respect for tourists in Sinai, there are numerous search engines that can supply you with other citations.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
<redacted>

================================================== =======
Back on topic:

Taba "town" is a bit of a dump and the beaches are not inspiring, but the higher category resort hotels do a very good job: and they're inexpensive. Aqaba would be more expensive, but has more to offer.

Aqaba is more easily accessible as Taba's airport is not much used by civilian/commercial flights. The best way to get to Taba is through Sharm, then bus or taxi. On the other hand, charter flights to Sharm make Sinai a cheaper destination than Jordan.

Worth noting is you can do both places! Travelling across Israel might be a challenge, but there is a Nuweiba (Sinai) to Aqaba ferry. I used it a few years' back and it was a perfectly comfortable trip on the luxe ferry.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2013 at 5:08 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Quick note that Sharm El Sheik is 220 KM from Taba, Eilat airport is 10 km away.

With a US passport it took 7 minutes to get from Egypt into Eilat to get to the airport. From Eilat into Taba you simply walk over. Passport stamps are by request, otherwise you don't even stop.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For political views and discussions, please do so on OMNI/PR, not here. (Yes, posts have been deleted.)

Thanks,

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Looking at the current security situation, even the more zealous international travel warnings actually exclude Red Sea resorts and transits at CAI, they tend to focus on downtown Cairo and Alexandria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.