Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car rental in Israel and insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold

I will be picking up a car in Eilat and dropping it off at TLV - I will be needing the car for 8 days. I found 2 agencies that allow drop-offs - Hertz and Eldan. I currently have a reservation with Hertz, which will cost about $320 (including a $100 drop-off charge).

here is the breakdown:
8 days at 32.00 USD 256.00 USD
Drop fee (Paid At Counter) 100.00 USD
Estimated mileage
Total Approximate Charge 356.00 USD

I checked Eldan, and the cost for them is about $750. The difference appears to be "insurance". I think that I read somewhere that insurance in Israel is mandatory - if it is, Hertz isn't including this. (normally I don't take insurance, as my personal car insurance will cover me, although I haven't checked with my insurance agent about coverage in Israel yet)

Is there something I should know about car insurance in Israel?

thanks,
bert
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:44 am

What you need to know is that you NEED insurance. You American policy won't cover you. Your American credit card will NOT cover you. ( and even if you think it does, you better get it in writing--and then you will STILL need Liability) I would get Hertz to tell you, in writing in advance what the insurance will be--otherwise go with Eldan, you won't have any surprises. BTW Eldan's prices sometimes go up and down. I do not know when you are going BUT check weekly. You can always make a new reservation and cancel the old one. They do not take a credit card in advance.

BTW even with insurance that seems like a mistake. WHEN are you going and what size car are you renting?--also how many are you.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
In real terms, I believe you are speaking about $17 a day.

Not pretty and always confusing with Israeli rentals.

I also recommend you read the posts on using Route 6, and the "easy pass" fees.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by awayIgo
What you need to know is that you NEED insurance. You American policy won't cover you. Your American credit card will NOT cover you. ( and even if you think it does, you better get it in writing--and then you will STILL need Liability) I would get Hertz to tell you, in writing in advance what the insurance will be--otherwise go with Eldan, you won't have any surprises. BTW Eldan's prices sometimes go up and down. I do not know when you are going BUT check weekly. You can always make a new reservation and cancel the old one. They do not take a credit card in advance.

BTW even with insurance that seems like a mistake. WHEN are you going and what size car are you renting?--also how many are you.
The car I'm renting from Hertz is a "Honda Civic LS or similar" - I'm renting for 8 days in April, 2013.

I checked and my personal insurance doesn't cover me. I hadn't thought about "credit card" coverage - I checked, with AMEX, and was told that there are 6 countries that they DON'T cover - and Israel is one of them.

So, I checked with Hertz - and here's what they offer:
Collision damage waiver daily 23.00 USD
Super CDW daily 10.00 USD
Theft protection daily 6.00 USD

At $39/day for all coverage, that's another $312 bringing the total to $668 - still less than the Eldan coverage I had previously calculated.

However, the Eldan site lists about 15 different cars - none of which I have ever heard of (Fiat Panda, Renault Kangeroo, etc)! The Mazda 6 was about $750, but the Mazda 3, which certainly looks big enough (two people with minimal luggage), was only $428 with comprehensive insurance.

Thus, I changed my reservation to Eldan.

I will follow-up Thumper's recomendation on reading up on route 6 and the "easy pass" fees.

Thanks for the info!

bert
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 pm

Mazda 3 is definitely appropriate for 2 people with luggage. The Mazda 6 is a LARGE car. ( both are available in the US--look on the Mazda website) With the price of gas in Israel ( you'll never again think gas in Conn is high) the smaller vehicle is the correct choice. ( gas runs about $7.50 or so a gallon--depending upon exchange rate)

Route 6 is a toll highway. But, there are no tollbooths, just overhead readers. You do not slow down. The readers read either you Route 6 transponder ( which you do not have) or your license plate. They then bill the owner of the vehicle. Eldan charges 50NIS a month extra if you use Route 6. This is a clerical charge for them to go through the bills and figure out who was renting the vehicle when the charge occurred. This is ON TOP of the actual cost of the road. So, if you drive on route 6 ten different times between Jan. 15 and 30, you'll pay the actual charge and a 50NIS surcharge BUT if you drive once on Jan. 31 and once on Feb 1, you'll pay the actual charge and a 100NIS surcharge--since each trip will come on a separate bill and clerical work is duplicated.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I had advised the OP to read the posts on the toll road, but I would be afraid they would simply read this post and feel complete.

The information on use surcharge is different for all rental companies. THe calendar mont hbilling is correct. It is cheaper to rent from the first to the twentieth of the monththan it is to rent from the 28th of the month to the second. But important to note is that the per usage fees will appear on your credit card as much as 4 to 6 months later.

I have been very comfortable with a Mazda 3 in the past. Be careful they do not suggest that a Punto is an "or equal". I have taken a small Kia in it's place and been satisfied as well.

And of course have them mark every single scratch and blemish internally and externally before you drive off.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:00 am

I do 7-8 rentals a year from Eldan. I felt very comfortable responding. I also feel my post is very complete and probably explains more than what is written on the Eldan site. The Punto is not the same class as a Mazda 3. In fact, I do not think Eldan is renting Puntos at all. In the same class as a Mazda 3 ( since they can give you a "similar" vehicle is the Ford Focus.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bertsirkin

I checked and my personal insurance doesn't cover me. I hadn't thought about "credit card" coverage - I checked, with AMEX, and was told that there are 6 countries that they DON'T cover - and Israel is one of them.

bert
get yourself a Master Card World Card and it covers the CDW & Theft in Israel eg Citi Thank You , most have an annual fee that is Free the 1st yr, so you can always CX it when the fee arrives a yr from now. By using a WMC they will charge you for 3rd party liability which is Mandatory

Also anyone that Picks Up or Drops Off at TLV is subject to a $27 Airport Tax

Did you ever ask Hertz what they want for their Mazda 3 type of car? I cant believe Eldan is cheaper

I agree with Thumper about a Rio or Accent being big enough, but Beware many companys still ahve models from before the new styles came out a yr or so ago and they are anything but spaceous!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
This might be a better option for CDW and liability - I have not used it personally but I have it filed away for future use.. I am not affiliated with them in any way, and I would check with Hertz if they accept this kind of policy. It does seem they cover Israel though.
I think in general the yearly option is cheaper.
https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/...insurance.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.