Jeddah Stopover

Old Aug 19, 12, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Angry Jeddah Stopover

Has anyone stopped in Jeddah airport for a connecting flight? Is the airport safe for Americans passing through? It's one of the only routes working for me and the girlfriend is freaking out about having to stop in SA. . .
Old Aug 19, 12, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JonB110 View Post
Has anyone stopped in Jeddah airport for a connecting flight? Is the airport safe for Americans passing through? It's one of the only routes working for me and the girlfriend is freaking out about having to stop in SA. . .
I've personally never had to go to SA, but from what I hear from friends and colleagues that work in SA (particularly Jeddah) it's extremely safe and you have nothing to worry about.

Now, that country/city doesn't have much for the touristy types, but a connection shouldn't be bad at all, unless you're an alcoholic.
Old Aug 20, 12, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
You will be perfectly safe I don't know JED well but if it's anything like RUH, the worst is you will be bored ! How long is your connection ?

There will no doubt be food, wifi, recognisable coffeeshop brands, ATMs and a smoking room. All the comforts of home (except alcohol).

As I'm sure you know, you won't be able to leave the airport without a transit visa, which are virtually impossible to obtain.

Treat it as a cultural adventure There are other threads here about connections through RUH.

hth
Old Aug 20, 12, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
As above, boredom is a risk but safety really isn't an issue.

Which airlines are you on and where are you coming from / going to. Some of the connections can be a challenge for the easily frustrated but all achievable.

Your gf won't have any issues airside, no need to cover head etc.
Old Aug 20, 12, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I appreciate all of the information you guys provided. After reading the above posts, my GDP feels better about stopping over and we are probably going to do it.

We would be flying in from Frankfurt on Lufthansa and out to Bangkok on Singapore. Do you think this connection is easily manageable?
Old Aug 20, 12, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
My only real concern would be missing your connection which would be extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable.

flightstats gives the inbound LH flight a good punctuality rating, which makes me happier. However, you have a one hour connection and SQ only flies 3 times a week from JED to SIN with no other obvious *A connections to BKK. Not good in the event of a major delay ex-FRA.

I think you need a 'Plan B'.
Old Aug 21, 12, 1:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Dunk is right, an hour is cutting it extremely fine if this is the transfer time you have. Flights are same terminal which reduces challenges but, even setting aside the chance that the transfer desk is unmanned and you need to go and ask at one of the arrivals desks for them to find someone (which in turn assumes the first person you ask is cooperative), JED covers a large area and has no jetways, hence a relatively lengthy bus journey to and from the plane.

Whilst it is safe and relatively clean, one thing JED certainly isn't is teutonic in its efficiency.

Search this Thread