Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cairo during the Presidential Elections 2012 (May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Considering a quick visit to Cairo, roughly around the time of the Presidential elections. Thoughts?. I ran into this warning on Trip Advisor, but I am almost tempeted to say screw it and just go

And then I opened today's newspaper
Fierce Clashes Erupt in Egypt Ahead of Presidential Vote

US State Department Warning
The U.S. Department of State alerts U.S. citizens traveling to or living in Egypt to the continuing possibility of sporadic unrest. Egypt will hold the first round of presidential elections May 23-24, 2012, and if needed, a second round June 16-17, 2012. The new president is scheduled to take office no later than June 30, 2012. Political rallies and demonstrations are likely to occur in the period leading up to and following the elections and during the drafting of a new constitution. In the past year, demonstrations have degenerated on occasion into violent clashes between police and protesters, in some instances resulting in deaths, injuries, and extensive property damage. U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to be vigilant regarding their personal security. The security situation in most tourist centers, including Luxor, Aswan, and the Red Sea Resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh, continues to be calm. ...

The U.S. Department of State strongly urges U.S. citizens to avoid all demonstrations in Egypt, as even peaceful ones can quickly become violent and a foreigner could become a target of harassment or worse. Several U.S. citizens have been arrested during demonstrations. Should security forces block off the area around the U.S. Embassy during demonstrations, U.S. citizens should not attempt to come to the U.S. Embassy during that time. U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to carry identification and, if moving about alone, a cell phone or other means of communication that works in Egypt
Old May 3, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta - Plat
Just booked a trip there for the 14th to 18th. I'm not to worried. Had a blast marching in the protests in Chile the past year and have gotten a pretty good feel for when things start to go down hill and the guanacos were imminent. Worst case, avoid the large crowds and shouldn't be any issues.

Love to grab a beer if you're there the same time.
Old May 5, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

I've decided to pass. But thats for the meet up offer, our dates don't intersect.
Now there is talk of curfews?. I think I will pass this time.

My logic : I'm not going to spend all that money on my hotel and tickets to be locked up at my hotel.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
I've decided to pass. But thats for the meet up offer, our dates don't intersect.
Now there is talk of curfews?. I think I will pass this time.

My logic : I'm not going to spend all that money on my hotel and tickets to be locked up at my hotel.
I would wait, but Egypt is definitely worth a visit. I wouldn't be too concerned about curfews, generally they are late-to-early to avoid overnight campouts/protests. Egypt sorely needs tourism to come back, so I highly recommend it! I was just there and even with sporadic protests had no problems. Most of the protests have moved out of the city center to places you won't be anyways.
Old May 21, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in Cairo now and everything is very peaceful. The curfew was lifted and it was only for the blocks around one of the government buildings so nobody was ever stuck in a hotel. However, being stuck in traffic seems unavoidable on the other hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.