Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No Hotel Room Taxes in Israel - Are Foreign/N.American Passport Holders VAT Exempt??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Hotel Room Taxes in Israel - Are Foreign/N.American Passport Holders VAT Exempt??

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So it sounds like USA passports are exempt from the hotel/car rental VAT of 17%. I'm currently looking at booking a hotel in Israel and it says:

"Rates are subject to 17% VAT per Israeli law. Tourists as defined by Israeli law (holders of a diplomatic passport or foreign passport and a 3-month tourist staying permit [B/2/3/4]), who are registered guests at the hotel, are exempt of VAT payment for hotel accommodations and hotel-related services (as defined by Israeli law). Guests without a valid entry permit will be charged VAT as defined by Israeli law (VAT rate may change without notice, subject to Israeli law)."

I have a US passport... but what/where do I get the "3-month tourist staying permit [B/2/3/4]"? Is this the same as the entry card provided in lieu of the passport stamp?

I read here this is how they do it:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...mmode=disabled

"Travelers normally receive a free, three-month tourist visa upon arrival in Israel, which may be extended. Israel does not stamp passports with an entry stamp, but instead provides all travelers with an entry card, although they reserve the right to stamp the passport. All travelers should retain this entry card throughout the duration of their stay in Israel as proof of lawful entry; the entry card is often requested at hotels and car rental companies. Although not required for exit, travelers are advised to keep their entry card with them to avoid delays when departing Israel. Travelers carrying official, service, or diplomatic U.S. passports must obtain visas from an Israeli embassy or consulate prior to arrival."
Old May 21, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I have a US passport... but what/where do I get the "3-month tourist staying permit [B/2/3/4]"? Is this the same as the entry card provided in lieu of the passport stamp?
Yes. That blue card should read:
"B2 Stay Permit until XX/XX/XX
Not Permitted to Work"
TravelinSperry and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.