Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Renting a car in Jordan - CDW or Collision Damage Waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to make sure if this is required. I was thinking of declining it and using my Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (which I assume covers Jordan - don't have the fine print in front of me). Would that be all right?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
That question is best directed at the C/Card company, as they can give you a definite answer. You should be ask to email it to them.

Be prepared to get a car with a nearly bone-dry gas tank. You'll be told that you can 'bring it back empty'. There is a gas station just outside of the airport access road before turning towards Amman. Whatever leftover gas you leave in the tank will be siphoned out by the rental car employees for their own use or sale, leaving just enough for the next person to make a bee-line for the fuel station. (To be fair, this is not specific to Jordan, but be advised that it does occur and you will need gasoline almost immediately).
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Ok, Chase has confirmed that they will cover me in Jordan as expected, but how do I decline CDW/LDW? All the local rental car companies (Reliable Rent A Car, Monte Carlo) say that it is included in basic insurance and they can't exclude it.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
In some countries with historically high accident, damage or theft rates, the rental companies will automatically include it. I don't know of any way to decline this, although I'm not sure that you pay extra for it. I don't remember if my rental in Amman required this or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. While the open highways are easy driving, Amman is chaotic.

My rentals in both Sicily and Tenerife had this automatically included. Given the insanity of Italian drivers, it was almost welcome to not have to worry.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etch5895
In some countries with historically high accident, damage or theft rates, the rental companies will automatically include it. I don't know of any way to decline this, although I'm not sure that you pay extra for it. I don't remember if my rental in Amman required this or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. While the open highways are easy driving, Amman is chaotic.

My rentals in both Sicily and Tenerife had this automatically included. Given the insanity of Italian drivers, it was almost welcome to not have to worry.
I don't think I'm paying extra (or more like it's built in to the price), but my concern is that the card's CDW coverage may not apply then as they all require you to decline it. But I guess if you legally can't decline it as Reliable Rent A Car claims, then the card's secondary coverage should apply to the deductible that Rent A Car claims from me?

There's no clear answer I think and unfortunately I don't have the fine print booklet in front of me. Maybe I'll ask Chase this question and see what they say.

P.S. - Now that you mention it, I think our rental in Malaga also had the CDW coverage included whether we liked it or not.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by etch5895

Be prepared to get a car with a nearly bone-dry gas tank. You'll be told that you can 'bring it back empty'. .
I was in shock when the agent told me that.

So they ended up with several gallons in the tank when I returned it. I was not going to risk running on empty while getting lost somewhere on way to the airport to catch a flight.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
So, my Avis rental confirmation says LDW is included, PAI declined, no mention of CDW. Is LDW a legal requirement? Trying to make sure I qualify for the Chase Sapphire Reserve car coverage so want to decline if I'm legally allowed. Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by abaheti
So, my Avis rental confirmation says LDW is included, PAI declined, no mention of CDW. Is LDW a legal requirement? Trying to make sure I qualify for the Chase Sapphire Reserve car coverage so want to decline if I'm legally allowed. Thanks.
Loss Damage Waiver and Collision Damage Waiver are one and the same; actually, LDW also covers you in case of a theft.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Loss Damage Waiver and Collision Damage Waiver are one and the same; actually, LDW also covers you in case of a theft.
Thanks. OK, so it is all inclusive in Jordan then, and is it legally required or could I save by trying to decline/waive it and rely on my Sapphire Reserve benefits?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks. OK, so it is all inclusive in Jordan then, and is it legally required or could I save by trying to decline/waive it and rely on my Sapphire Reserve benefits?
Why make it complicated? If full coverage in included in the price of the rental, there is no reason to decline it and have a third party to reimburse you for what you may owe.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Why make it complicated? If full coverage in included in the price of the rental, there is no reason to decline it and have a third party to reimburse you for what you may owe.
I'm a believer in being over insured, but it depends how much money I could save. For a few bucks, who cares. But it can add up. In Israel, for example, my mandatory insurance is turning out to be 3x the base rental charge (I found a great deal on a car -- $50 car goes to $200 for a week); unfortunately, folks here inform me that it is not going away. Thought I'd ask about Jordan just to see.

Last edited by abaheti; Oct 18, 2017 at 5:57 pm
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:04 am
Original Poster

I'm the OP and will be renting again in Jordan. Was this ever resolved? I'm also looking at maybe renting from Avis and these are their terms:

Originally Posted by Avis

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is optional
Customer is liable for an amount ranging from USD $600.00 to USD $1,000.00, depending on the car group rented, if CDW is not taken. If CDW is purchased, the customer's liability will be reduced to USD $200.00.

Theft Protection (TP) is optional
Customer is liable for an amount ranging from USD $600.00 to USD $1,000.00, depending on the car group rented, if TP is not taken. If TP is purchased, the customer's liability will be reduced to USD $200.00.
CDW seems to be checked when I make the reservation and I cannot uncheck it.

So now I am confused as to what my coverage is - is it as if CDW was not taken, i.e. I am liable for $600-1000 (but because the liability is capped, Avis is showing CDW as checked?)? Or is it as if CDW was taken and my liability is capped at $200?

Will my card company treat this as if CDW was accepted and refuse to cover or will they have to cover because CDW cannot be unchecked?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:37 pm

I'm so sorry, but I'd be a liar if I told you I remember how this one worked out. If I was able to decline it, I brought a letter from the card company stating I had coverage. I just don't remember which countries this worked in and I needed a letter and which countries I took the coverage on that trip. I do remember my car from Avis was pretty beat up, so we documented the heck out of it. Nobody even glanced at the car when we returned it, I guess they are used to it. I believe the Jordan Avis had a max deductible if you took the coverages, but my card would have been zero deductible.

I'm so sorry I am having old man brain.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So, I've rented before in countries where CDW was mandatory and had to deal with Visa. If CDW/LDW is mandatory, they will cover you up to the deductible with few questions asked.
abaheti likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
So, I've rented before in countries where CDW was mandatory and had to deal with Visa. If CDW/LDW is mandatory, they will cover you up to the deductible with few questions asked.
THAT Is good to know. Do you need to warn them in advance or is that documented somewhere? In the past I couldn't find that anywhere. I am travelling soon abroad w a rental car so this could be timely. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.