Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tel Aviv Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Slvr, BMI Blk, HH Dmd, SPG Gld +a wallet full of other less shiny cards
Tel Aviv Restaurants

Hi,

I hope some travellers will find this of use as people are always asking where to eat when they travel to a new place and many times reviews are out of date.

I have taken the liberty to visit several restaurants in Tel Aviv and have collated in in one location:

http://thedisgruntleddiner.blogspot.com/

I hope it will be useful and let me know if anyone is coming to Tel Aviv as I would be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

The Disgruntled Diner
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks! And welcome to FT.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Slvr, BMI Blk, HH Dmd, SPG Gld +a wallet full of other less shiny cards
Thanks for the welcome,

TDD
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by disgruntleddiner
Thanks for the welcome,

TDD
Great - going in May. So tell me, why so disgruntled?!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

You will have a great time as May is the perfect weather month.

Not a disgruntled person just a disgruntled diner in Israel as many restaurants are just not up to scratch.

I am not talking about local ethnic food such as hummus, falafel, couscous or others but just finding a nice restaurant which utilises the amazing seasonal ingredients into a modern style of cooking (which I as a long term visitor is looking for).

TDD
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:36 am

No doubt...
I dont know what your choice of food is but I have a sevral recomandations fro you..
If your looking for restaraunts with gourmet food you shoud check out these places:
Manat Ray
yoezer wine bar
Brasserie

If you're looking for some more local food you have to go to Gabay's Falafel

Have a great trip...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Umm, I'd personally give HAkosem 5/5.

The Salon is incredible but $$$$$$.

The Mitbachon, CoffeeBar, Cordovero, Bugsy, Carmella, NG/..
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Interesting blog - looking forward to future postings!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks,

I will try some of the restaurants mentioned and there are good eats in Israel (less in my opinion in the fine dining area).

I agree that Hakosem is great but 5/5 is reserved for a memrobale experience one that will keep me on my adventure.

TDD
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
We have reservations at Maganda for May 19th. Heard very, very good things about it. Ever tried it?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ummmm. Is Kosher a requirement?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Have you been to Orca? It's not cheap nor terribly expensive either. I found the meal, while not typical Israeli cuisine I found it did make good use of local flavors and products.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Maganda (if it is the one I think) is located in the Yemenite quarter next to the Carmel market. I pass it often on the way to my personal favourite hummus place which is called the Syrian. The quarter is also filled with good and inexpensive ethnic lunch places.

I have never been to Maganda so cannot comment on the quality of the food, but maybe for the wrong reasons it hasnt been on my list as to me this place and Shauls Inn represents old fashion cooking as the restaurants have been around for ages. This of course doesnt mean it won't be good.

Other restaurants I have visited or have been recommended in that immediate vicinty is Hatzelah Hashminit (which is more international) and Habasta (which often gets good reviews and is high on my list to visit).

Tel Aviv is not short of restaurants and I suspect it will take me for ages to try even a small fraction, but many thanks for all the recommendations which I appreciate as I am sure other readers of this section do.

I would like to add another little recomendation of my own and that is Rama's Kitchen in Nataf (the Judean Hills before Jerusalem). Perfect spring time location for brunch (overlooking the green and flowering hills), with not amazing food, but some nice country style cooking. I will add in the next couple of weeks to me blog.

TDD
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you been to Orca?
Orca closed, as did Pinxos which replaced it there. Near there, Asif is excellent (on Lillenblum) as is Abraxas North (but you need reservations).

I like HaMitbachon, its homestyle cooking, and inexpensive.

Catit is also near there,supposed to be excellent, but it is very expensive, and it tends to the exotic side. But I am biased against the french style of excessively rich fatty foods (foie gras, brain, etc).

Most of best restaurants are obviously not kosher.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by entropy
Most of best restaurants are obviously not kosher.
OK, I"ll bite.

why would a "best" restaurant obviously not be kosher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.