Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

My travel education begins...living near Jeddah...lots of travel opportunities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

My family of 5 (3 kids under 10) will move to near Jeddah, SA this summer. Until this point in my life, the opportunity to fly with 3 kids was never a financial possibility. Now, with employer provided travel allowances to "get home" and opportunities to travel throughout Africa, ME, and south east asia, I feel like I need to develop a strategy and learn how to make the most of this opportunity.

I hate it when people ask for all the answers on forums, so I'm just going to ask for hints and tips, I can google like the best of them, and so just need help knowing the questions to ask and the words to use.

1. I anticipate we'll get about $2700-3000 per person in travel allowance each year that needs to get us somewhere, and then back to Jeddah after the summer. I could spend this and just get home to Colorado, but would love to hear strategies to better use this to see more of the world. As a family, we like longer simpler stops...we don't breeze through cties and see the sites and fly off, we like to just live in a place to explore, maybe for a week or tow. (the kids are WONDERFUL travelers, and love to fly. Youngest is 4 and knows not to kick your seat.)

2. I'm working on getting a PenFed Amex that gives 5% on travel and no foreign exchange fee. Does it matter if I purchase my airline tix as a resident of USA or KSA? Lower taxes or anything? Is there a better card I should have for accumulating miles/cash given the region I'll be in and the airlines that operate in the Middle East?

3. Currently Wife and I have 100k on BA from a credit card offer, and the fam all has about 25k on United MP. What's a mileage strategy for the Middle east?

4. What else should I think about living in the ME from a FT point of view?

Go easy, I'm new and have never had opportunities like this before.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Let me answer Q1 as a start.

Your biggest issue in the Gulf is the general lack of low-cost carriers to let you get out of Saudi Arabia, there are FlyDubai and AirArabia from the UAE which do help but generally from Jeddah you're looking a good $400 a head just to get out to a hub in Dubai, Qatar or Abu Dhabi. Welcome to the world of the non-free market.

Anyway, assuming you can find some sort of deal to get yourself out with a good connection, the world is your oyster here. My recommendations would be:

Oman: Muscat is beautiful, full of culture and nice hotels, the nicest people in the Middle East too
Beirut: A modern, lively city which feels like the south of France. Lots of old Roman ruins within an hour of the city, skiing too in the winter.
Cairo: Present situation aside, again full of culture (pyramids, city of Saladin, museum) and as busy and vibrant a city as you'll ever go to. Expect to get ripped off as a Westerner because you haggle for everything, but the good news is that Egypt is so cheap that being ripped off is pretty much normal tourist prices anywhere else. Sharm el Sheikh is also an OK beach resort if you want that.
Jordan: A long weekend taking in Amman then the Petra ruins is good. Alternatively, instead of Amman go to the beach resorts in Aqaba which are closer to Petra.
In terms of Africa, Dar es Salaam (Zanzibar) and Kenya (safari) aren't far away, but not that cheap to get to.
For Asia, Thailand, Malaysia are the cheapest places to get to. India is also near but as so much travel for workers to the region it's not as cheap as you'd expect.

In essence, stick a pin in the map and go, largely you can't go wrong. In terms of absolute places to avoid, Iran and Iraq are obvious ones! Given topics on here, many Americans want to go to Israel - my simple advice is do not even think about it. If the KSA government or your employer finds out your new life in the sun will come to a very abrupt end. It's not just the issue of the stamp in the passport, as a Western ally KSA is tapped in to all the international databases and will know if you go there. It is not worth the risk.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Saudi flies non-stop Jedda Nairobi for US$385. SV is supposedly going to join Skyteam in a year or so. Or Egyptair is Star Alliance and they are around $600 to Nairobi.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: EK, Hilton, AA
To answer question 1, I think it depends on how many trips you want to go on in a year and how much vacation time do you have. DXBPlat has listed a lot of good places which are close but if you're only going for 1-2 trips per year, maybe you'd be willing to go further and spend a week or more.

One of the best things I've found since moving to the middle east from the US is the number of interesting places within a 6-7 hour flight. I would concentrate on these as you're in a central location and can get to places you'd never fly to from the states. As mentioned previously, the biggest part is getting out of Saudi to Qatar, Dubai or Abu Dhabi to connect further.

If you want to see different cultures then you've got all of India to explore or go south to Kenya for a safari trip or South Africa; all very far from the US but not that bad to get to from Saudi. In SE Asia, you've got Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia and you could do a single trip that connects a couple of these, we did Singapore-Bali for a city-beach vacation last year.

If you decide to use Dubai as your connection point, think about staying here for a couple of days to see it (and shop) before connecting on Emirates or the budget alternative FlyDubai.

For amazing water and beaches, Maldives can't be beat (but very expensive) and you've also got Seychelles and Mauritius as 2 slightly cheaper alternatives.

For #2, I would get a local credit card and use it instead, Amex is not always accepted everywhere. Pick an airline that you're flying with and see if they have a credit card that offers miles. Emirates airlines (one of the best, based out of Dubai) offer a Citigroup and Emirates Islamic Bank credit card. This will help you earn lots of miles and free future tickets, especially if you book your tickets with the card as well.

In summary, pick a major airline that you prefer (Emirates, Eithad, Qatar airways), check out their route map and enjoy
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Given that KSA doesn't normally issue tourist visas, you should also take the opportunity to travel within the Kingdom whilst you're here with a visa or iqama, and do things "other people" will never have the chance to.

I'm think specifically of Mada'in Saleh, which is Petra without the tourists , but just getting out into the desert in a 4x4 can be an adventure in itself. (Google for "End of the World" near Riyadh).

Syria is definitely on my list as well.

hth
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, These are great starting points, and I'm sure we'll learn more as we go.

I am shocked by the prices of tix to just get out of SA, but I was excited that I could fly RTW for about the same price...got a hypothetical itinary from Air Brokers yesterday for 2900 to go from JED through SE asia, across to SFO-DEN-IAD-FRA-JED...If I can imagine flying 29000 miles with 3 kids, that's quite a way to spend my travel allowance to get home and back.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Saudi's own low cost carrier yet - NAS.

http://www.flynas.com

Can be useful for cheap routing.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by DXBPlat
In terms of absolute places to avoid, Iran and Iraq are obvious ones!
Hogwash. Don't miss Iran... I spent 3 weeks there going overland from east to west and consider it one of the most interesting places I have ever been. Yes, I am American. Mashad, Esfahan, Shiraz and Qom are must-sees. Super-friendly people, great food, and tons to see.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: EK, Hilton, AA
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Hogwash. Don't miss Iran... I spent 3 weeks there going overland from east to west and consider it one of the most interesting places I have ever been. Yes, I am American. Mashad, Esfahan, Shiraz and Qom are must-sees. Super-friendly people, great food, and tons to see.
^
Old May 25, 2011, 3:17 pm

when we first moved to Dhahran, on the Gulf side, our children were about that age. A couple of thoughts:
1. several of the airlines have family plans for frequent flyers so you can group your miles into one account (e.g. Lufthansa, Gulf Air are two that come to mind).
2. We chased after miles, but with five of us, a few hundred dollars cheaper per ticket meant that we usually went for the cheapest tickets.
3. There is so much to see and do in KSA, especially out in the desert. We became great desert campers. The children's fondest memories were camping there (and no electronic distractions!). I suggest you get a good desert vehicle (Suburban/Yukon, Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol, etc) and all the camping gear.
4. In our early years, we toured the typical European museums, churches, etc. A huge waste of money since the kids were too young for all that culture. Our best trips were to Egypt (cruised the Nile), Kenya for a week, Australian Outback, etc. The adventure trips are much more fun for the kids. In developing countries like Kenya, we went for tours, in places like Australia, we rented a Land Cruiser and did our own thing.
5. Don't miss the great places in the Middle East that are off of most American's radar. Places like Lebanon and Jordan are not to be missed.

You are giving your children the gift of a lifetime by living in the Middle East.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I believe Americans have to travel on tours. How did you get around?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: TK*G EP
I am not sure about the fares but NAS Air is flying/will fly to 3 different Turkish cities.

If the fares are really low, you can connect in Istanbul to various cities with lowcost carries like easyjet, pegasus, sunexpress.

From Adana, you can rent a car and go to Antalya for a nice beach holiday.

Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I am surprised noone mentioned Kuwait based Jazeera Airways.

They fly to JED as well - and provide a low-cost connection to ~15 cities from there.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:08 am

agree since several low cost carriers have started in the region like Air Arabia and Bahrain air. No frills, but cheaper than the national carriers.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Learn to dive in the Red Sea. It's mostly an expat thing and the Red Sea on the Saudi coast is AMAZING! Probably some of the best diving in the world since it is mostly untouched because of the closed nature of the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.