Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Middle East a no go since all the touble?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL-million miler Hawaiian Air-premier member Global Entry

I am planning, in late May and early June, an Istanbul-Beirut-Damascus-Amman intinerary. After booking everything, all hell has broken loose in the Gulf and North Africa. Anybody got any thoughts about Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by braintreeboy
I am planning, in late May and early June, an Istanbul-Beirut-Damascus-Amman intinerary. After booking everything, all hell has broken loose in the Gulf and North Africa. Anybody got any thoughts about Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan?
Lebanon - just the usual bickering and fighting they have had for decades, they're usually quite civil and keep it out of the tourist areas!

Syria - Possible, though only really likely to escalate if Iran gets out of hand. No sign of that yet.

Jordan - Again possible, but the royal family there are much more liked and so would be a different sort of uprising than Egypt and Libya.

As it stands, all 3 are safe to travel at the moment.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
All hell has not broken loose across the Gulf and North Africa. Only parts. Very small parts when you look at where actual violence has taken place. For instance I'm heading to Dubai soon and I do not expect to see any problems while there.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:02 am

I'm headed to Dubai, Muscat and Doha next week. No worries.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Id' be interested to hear how Muscat is - I'm supposed to be going in early April.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I just left Muscat. Very pretty and no worries whatsoever.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been in and out of the Gulf 3 times since this has kicked off....no problems. For your itinerary, Beirut always has been a wild card, for years and is not dependent on this mess, I think you'll be ok for Jordan and Syria.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: MP 1K to 2P - painful
We're heading to Damascus and will spend almost three weeks in the region; twelve days in Syria, with a quick side trip to Baalbeck in Lebanon, and a week to follow in Jordan.

I agree with the above assessments and see no reason to cancel our trip. Neither the British Foreign Office nor the State Department in the US have warned against travel in these areas, beyond the typical avoid demonstrations and that conditions can change quickly etc. We went to Iran in 2003 and had a wonderful trip precisely because everyone else cancelled. I am cautious but not nervous, if conditions change we won't go to Lebanon.

----------------------

Check out my blog http://somuchmoretosee.blogspot.com/
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: EK, Hilton, AA
There are rumors of things starting up in Damascus (Syria) in the last few days. So far it seems they are only interviewing Syrians coming from abroad. Nothing big happening yet, but worth checking before you head that way.

Dubai is perfectly safe, but anyone going to Bahrain should think again for now, martial law declared by the king.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Im having the land route Beyrut-Damascus-Amman-Aqaba late April.

Recent news I noticed was turmoil in Daraa, southern Syria, and I guess thats on the route.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I just returned from a 3-week trip that took me across two of the countries you mention: Lebanon and Jordan. I felt completely safe throughout and noticed nothing extraordinary that was related to the going-ons elsewhere in the region.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:24 pm

We're also heading to Lebanon in early June. I think we'll be fine there, especially in the tourist areas (besides, Lebanon is already a democracy). We've canceled our plans to visit Damascus though. Jordan should be fine. Very civilized and educated people there with a well-liked monarchy.

The Gulf is fine. Been in and out of Bahrain many times in the past few months. No trouble for foreigners at all (other than some traffic diversions and increased security presence).
Old May 28, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by hjmanasa
...(besides, Lebanon is already a democracy)...
^

Enjoy your stay. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
^

Enjoy your stay. If you have any questions, please let me know.
thanks, we did. can't wait to go back
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hjmanasa
thanks, we did. can't wait to go back
How many days and where did you go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.