Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE visa on arrival not available to Canadian passport holders eff. 2-Jan-2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Saw this posted today on Timaticweb and thought I'd share for our friends up north.

Link via Delta's website:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...t_information/

/ 16DEC10 / 2014 UTC
(N1)

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES STOPS ISSUING VISAS ON ARRIVAL TO
NATIONALS OF CANADA

Effective 2 January 2011, nationals of Canada will no longer
be able to obtain visas on arrival. Exempt are those residing
in a GCC Member State.

Timaticweb Version 1.3
16 December 2010

Last edited by El Cochinito; Dec 17, 2010 at 9:16 am
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Out of the hundreds of thousands of Canadians with relatives residing in the UAE, this will be a pain for some number of them. Then again, most of those Canadians not residents in the UAE will be doing as always: transiting without a visa.

For those Canadians who may have been interested in visiting for tourism or short-duration business purposes but for this immigration control change, it may make sense to try to adjust travel plans as a result of this visitor-unfriendly development on the part of the UAE. That said, I expect most of such interested persons will apply for a visa, whether by mail or in person.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Covered in this thread, which is the root of the issue.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...an-market.html

Not only visas but booting the Canadian military from its base in the UAE on 30 days notice and barring the Canadian defence minister from flying into/over the UAE.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Out of the hundreds of thousands of Canadians with relatives residing in the UAE, this will be a pain for some number of them. Then again, most of those Canadians not residents in the UAE will be doing as always: transiting without a visa.

For those Canadians who may have been interested in visiting for tourism or short-duration business purposes but for this immigration control change, it may make sense to try to adjust travel plans as a result of this visitor-unfriendly development on the part of the UAE. That said, I expect most of such interested persons will apply for a visa, whether by mail or in person.
If Canada lets the big bus into YYZ twice a day, I'm sure this little problem will go away.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:59 pm

Been talking about this in the Skywards forum...

Not only is a visitor visa about $60 a pop, but once you leave the UAE you can't come back for 30 days.

So as a loyal EK Gold who likes to make DXB his travel base for the winter... looks like I will have to pursue another option.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Not only is a visitor visa about $60 a pop, but once you leave the UAE you can't come back for 30 days.
This is likely true for Canadians now, but for the 32 "visa on arrival" countries, it isn't a problem. I flew out of the UAE to Sudan and back within 30 days and had no issues.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: EY Platinum
That may be about to change: http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/vi...-visa-1.725285

Historically the 30-day requirement has never been applied, but it sounds like they are going to start enforcing it.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by csdf
That may be about to change: http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/vi...-visa-1.725285

Historically the 30-day requirement has never been applied, but it sounds like they are going to start enforcing it.
Americans, Germans, etc receive "tourist" visas on arrival and are not subject to the 30-days-out requirement.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
As far as I know, all visitors are subject to the 30-day out requirement, including visit visa visitors. Until now, the 30-day limit has not been enforced, but it sounds like they might be about to start enforcing it.
""People who entered the country on a visit visa and wanted a fresh visa must leave the country for one month before they can apply for another visit visa," said Major General Al Merri."
The visa on arrival is a visit visa.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Americans, Germans, etc receive "tourist" visas on arrival and are not subject to the 30-days-out requirement.
Is not even a tourist visa - I am german have traveled in the past years a couple of times to UAE, you do not have even have to fill out anything... you just give your passport as in a normal immigration collect your stamp and then you go, and to my understanding, if you come back within two weeks e.g. after exit no problem..

But with the canadians - well I still do not understand their problem why they protect so much Air Canada... LH has the same problem with emirates in Germany and it is healthy competition...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 100K, QF Gold, SPG Platinum 100, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Possibly the worlds most expensive visa??

I am currently awaiting a visa from Ottawa. I reckon that this is probably the most expensive visa in the world - what are your thoughts??

- Multiple Entry Visa 1000$ (Valid for 6 months, maximum stay in UAE 14 days each visit)
- Long term Visa 500$ (Valid for 3 months, not renewable)
- Short term Visa 250$ (Valid for 30 days, not renewable)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:29 pm

Canadian question for UAE

Can someone break it down as to what "Valid for 6 months, maximum stay in UAE 14 days each visit" means for a Canadian hoping to stay in the UAE for work?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:20 am

Your employer will arrange a residency visa but while that is being prepared you'll have to so several visa runs - some visas make you leave for 30 days so that could be a problem if you are Canadian... for most other Westerners we can just go to Oman or Qatar for a few hours.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:24 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WannaFlyJ
I am currently awaiting a visa from Ottawa. I reckon that this is probably the most expensive visa in the world - what are your thoughts??

- Multiple Entry Visa 1000$ (Valid for 6 months, maximum stay in UAE 14 days each visit)
- Long term Visa 500$ (Valid for 3 months, not renewable)
- Short term Visa 250$ (Valid for 30 days, not renewable)
Any Canadian's on here that have actually paid this fee and indeed, is this the cost as posted on the website? ? ?

Would like to visit here as it seems my plans for Egypt are falling apart but I'll probably head somewhere else if it is this expensive just to get in.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:27 pm

Can someone please post the "coles notes" version of all of this please.
I'm a Cdn who was going to book an 8-day trip to Dubai for my gf and i in Nov 2011.

Do i have the following correct:
1. have to fork out $250 each for gf and I for this new visa reqm't
2. cost is subsidized if i fly EK or EY to DXB - * What if my itin was YUL-LHR (AC) connecting to LHR-DXB on EK for example

Thank you for any clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.