Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:29 pm
BCH

Israel Rail Ways

I recently took a train from Tel Aviv Sdorot(?) Train Station to Ben Gurion Airport (right into Terminal 3) all in 14 minutes! Incredible.

The train was fast, smooth, and efficient. I highly recommend.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Sdorot
Probably Shalom..

I quite agree, the train between downtown and the airport is fantastic.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by entropy
Probably Shalom..

I quite agree, the train between downtown and the airport is fantastic.
Why do you assume HaShalom? Could also have been Savidor-Mercaz. The train to Terminal 3 coming from Tel Aviv is fantastic, as well as from Modiin. Eventually, this train is expected to reach Jerusalem's new Central Train Station, across from the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem on Jaffa Street. (2017 expected date) Under a half hour! Somehow, I don't believe the finish date or travel time though..
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
speed limits as high as 120 km/hour.
Don't you mean as low as 120 km/hours?

A police officer once stopped an Israeli driver.
Israeli driver: What seems to be the problem officer? Am I driving too fast?
Officer: No, you are flying too low.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Why do you assume HaShalom? Could also have been Savidor-Mercaz. The train to Terminal 3 coming from Tel Aviv is fantastic, as well as from Modiin. Eventually, this train is expected to reach Jerusalem's new Central Train Station, across from the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem on Jaffa Street. (2017 expected date) Under a half hour! Somehow, I don't believe the finish date or travel time though..
Could also have been Hagana.
2017? You sound very optimistic! Light Rail in Jerusalem still not completed.
While HaShalom is one of the largest railway stations in Israel, the one in Natbag is so far the only one in Israel that uses display boards to inform passengers about departures and arrivals. Railways in Israel still have a long way to go.

So yes, if you are coming from Tel Aviv, train is an excellent (and cheap) option to reach the airport.
Surprising enough, it is cheaper to do Yavneh-Tel Aviv Hagana-Natbag than Tel Aviv Hagana-Natbag.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HONcircle
Could also have been Hagana.
It could have; I just assumed from the “S” that it was either Hashalom or Savidor

2017? You sound very optimistic!
Not at all That’s just when they claim it’ll be ready

Light Rail in Jerusalem still not completed.
But they’re *finally* doing tests on Yaffo. Though the bus has now become a nightmare which hasn’t worked too well in my favor; I take the 13 which used to be a 15 minute ride to Tachana Merkazit…now can be over an hour!

While HaShalom is one of the largest railway stations in Israel,
It’s actually not that big. The largest is Savidor-Merkaz, followed by Hagana. Since Hashalom is not a transfer station (because transfers from the south happen in Hagana and transfers from the north happen in Savidor,) and in the middle of Tel Aviv which doesn’t allow for a large parking lot, unlike other stations which have large, free parking lots.

the one in Natbag is so far the only one in Israel that uses display boards to inform passengers about departures and arrivals.
A number of stations use display boards. Binyamina, Modi’in… Hagana also has, though not as good

Railways in Israel still have a long way to go.
Yes, but I like the train in Israel a lot more than in America. Can’t comment about the European or UK trains though.

So yes, if you are coming from Tel Aviv, train is an excellent (and cheap) option to reach the airport.
Yes it is!

Surprising enough, it is cheaper to do Yavneh-Tel Aviv Hagana-Natbag than Tel Aviv Hagana-Natbag.
Only for students and children under 10. The regular price and the price for seniors is cheaper Hagana-Natbag than on Yavneh-Natbag (via Hagana).
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
How does TLV security deal with incoming people on the train?

When a friend and I took the taxi, we were "greeted" at the entrance to the airport property, then drove *miles* to the terminal and then "greeted" again.

So, what happens with airport security? Is in Tel Aviv or at TLV?

Thank you for responding.

David
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidHatt
How does TLV security deal with incoming people on the train?

When a friend and I took the taxi, we were "greeted" at the entrance to the airport property, then drove *miles* to the terminal and then "greeted" again.

So, what happens with airport security? Is in Tel Aviv or at TLV?

Thank you for responding.

David
TLV has multiple levels of security. Pax interact with a maximum of 4 of them. The last 3 rings are unchanged, as the train station opens up into the terminal, so you will still see the security personnel who stand at the door of the terminal (and rarely stop people,) and from there, everything is the same (including the security interview and the regular metal detector/x-ray check). The only ring of security that's being avoided is the initial "greeting" as you put it.
They feel that's not a security risk for a couple of reasons:
  • No vehicle is being driven onto the premises
  • You will have already undergone a security check to enter the train station, and there are constantly Israel Rail security teams (who are considered some of the best in Israel) roaming the stations and trains, which eliminates virtually all security threats
  • In the grand total of people accessing the airport, most are not using the train, so it's OK if a few bypass the first ring.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean when you say: Is in Tel Aviv or at TLV?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
The not believing it sounds like my tour guide on birthright last year when we walked past where the train was being built.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
It could have; I just assumed from the “S” that it was either Hashalom or Savidor

Not at all That’s just when they claim it’ll be ready

But they’re *finally* doing tests on Yaffo. Though the bus has now become a nightmare which hasn’t worked too well in my favor; I take the 13 which used to be a 15 minute ride to Tachana Merkazit…now can be over an hour!

It’s actually not that big. The largest is Savidor-Merkaz, followed by Hagana. Since Hashalom is not a transfer station (because transfers from the south happen in Hagana and transfers from the north happen in Savidor,) and in the middle of Tel Aviv which doesn’t allow for a large parking lot, unlike other stations which have large, free parking lots.

A number of stations use display boards. Binyamina, Modi’in… Hagana also has, though not as good

Yes, but I like the train in Israel a lot more than in America. Can’t comment about the European or UK trains though.

Yes it is!

Only for students and children under 10. The regular price and the price for seniors is cheaper Hagana-Natbag than on Yavneh-Natbag (via Hagana).

Wow.
Haven't had a line by line quote since a while.

I just double-checked and verified my sources especially for you.
The prices on Israel Railways for one way journeys are as follows:

-(any station) Tel Aviv-Natbag: 7,5 ILS for senior citizens and 14,50 ILS for everyone else (students, pupils, disabled,...)

- Yavneh-Natbag: senior pays same amount as before: 7,50 ILS; Youth and regular pay slightly more: 15 ILS;
PAYS LESS: Student: 13,50 ILS; Children under 10 years old (not applicable to you) pay 12 ILS; Disabled person: 13,50 ILS;
Pupil: 7,50 ILS

So now, you know how to make your journey to Natbag by train even cheaper.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:26 pm

I
Confused. Is rechov yafo now blocked for all traffic, or are egged buses [still] allowed to drive there, aside from the light rail (when completed)?

It drives me mad too that getting to tachana merkazit takes double amount of time now. And it will as a result get even more chaotic for people heading to Machana Yehuda, as all the taxi drivers and car traffic will have shifted from Yafo to Agripas.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
The not believing it sounds like my tour guide on birthright last year when we walked past where the train was being built.
Just to give you a timetable of the light rail, it was supposed to be completed by June, 2004. That means In June 2004, all 8 lines were supposed to be up and running. The current estimate is August, 2011. But keep in mind that means in August, the light rail will start running. But only part of 1 line! Not even the whole first line will be completed by then! And they haven't even started on the remaining 7!

Wow.
Haven't had a line by line quote since a while.

I just double-checked and verified my sources especially for you.
The prices on Israel Railways for one way journeys are as follows:

-(any station) Tel Aviv-Natbag: 7,5 ILS for senior citizens and 14,50 ILS for everyone else (students, pupils, disabled,...)

- Yavneh-Natbag: senior pays same amount as before: 7,50 ILS; Youth and regular pay slightly more: 15 ILS;
PAYS LESS: Student: 13,50 ILS; Children under 10 years old (not applicable to you) pay 12 ILS; Disabled person: 13,50 ILS;
Pupil: 7,50 ILS

So now, you know how to make your journey to Natbag by train even cheaper.
At your service!

So yes, for some it's cheaper and for some it's more expensive. I personally hacve never paid for the train as it's free for soldiers, and I first started taking the train after I enlisted. I'm not looking forward to starting to pay!

Confused. Is rechov yafo now blocked for all traffic, or are egged buses [still] allowed to drive there, aside from the light rail (when completed)?

It drives me mad too that getting to tachana merkazit takes double amount of time now. And it will as a result get even more chaotic for people heading to Machana Yehuda, as all the taxi drivers and car traffic will have shifted from Yafo to Agripas.
Yaffo is closed to ALL traffic. From the start until just after Machane Yehuda, no traffic can drive on Yaffo, and tha INCLUDES MDA/Hatzala!! After the shuk, vehicles heading in the direction of Tachana Merkazit can start driving, and once you reach Sarei Yisrael, you have resumption of 2-way traffic. And yes, it is a nightmare. Especially for soldiers heading back to base...I just missed my bus because of the balagan!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
[QUOTE=joshwex90;and in the middle of Tel Aviv which doesn’t allow for a large parking lot, unlike other stations which have large, free parking lots[/QUOTE]

Where exactly are the free parking lots? The one outside Savidor is definately a pay lot and I have never been outside of Haganah to verify.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:54 am

Credit cards in taxis?

Hi,

Thanks for all that great information.

Could you possibly tell me if the taxis take credit cards?

Cheers,

/dnastudios
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
TLV has multiple levels of security. Pax interact with a maximum of 4 of them. The last 3 rings are unchanged, as the train station opens up into the terminal, so you will still see the security personnel who stand at the door of the terminal (and rarely stop people,) and from there, everything is the same (including the security interview and the regular metal detector/x-ray check). The only ring of security that's being avoided is the initial "greeting" as you put it.
They feel that's not a security risk for a couple of reasons:
  • No vehicle is being driven onto the premises
  • You will have already undergone a security check to enter the train station, and there are constantly Israel Rail security teams (who are considered some of the best in Israel) roaming the stations and trains, which eliminates virtually all security threats
  • In the grand total of people accessing the airport, most are not using the train, so it's OK if a few bypass the first ring.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean when you say: Is in Tel Aviv or at TLV?
Hello Joshwex90,

Thank you for responding. I admire Israeli security so this train that goes from downtown Tel Aviv straight to the airport -- therefore bypassing the security checks that I went through -- puzzled me. But you answered my my quesitons -- the security check is done at the train station in Tel Aviv. And that trains take away a source of bombs -- cars.

So the initial airport security is done at the train station in Tel Aviv ("Tel Aviv") and not initially done at the airport ("TLV").

Todah ("thank you" in Hebrew) for responding.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.