Search

DC Stopover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:44 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
DC Stopover

we will have a stopover of some 9hrs arriving 11am ish departing 8pm , or we could take a 9pm flight out.

We have never been to DC, will we have enough time to leave the airport, see some good stuff, dinner, and get back?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:56 pm

What airport are you flying into/out of?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA 2P, Best Western Diamond
Which airport are you flying in to; DCA, IAD, or BWI? It makes a huge difference.

DCA has easy Metro (i.e., subway) access to the heart of DC, IAD almost requires taking a cab, and BWI has easy Light Rail access to Baltimore or shuttle bus/train access to DC.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

doh sorry
IAD

we wont have any luggage, it is me and my teen daughter, we would like to see some usual things, or please recommend something not quite so usual
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:06 pm

If by usual things you are talking about Air and Space, Lincoln Memorial ext? How old is your daughter, is she interested in visiting any of the schools in the area?
You should have no problem seeing a few sights during your visit. Your best transportation method really depends on where you want to go. If you want to stay around the Smithson/Capitol area taking the bus/metro option (see details at the bottom of my post) should be fine. You can walk from one museum to another with out a problem. I would also recommend contacting your senator or congressperson in advance to arrange for a capitol tour, if you go with the House side odds are very high you will get to meet your rep, I can't say the same thing about Senate unless you are from a small state. Senators from bigger states tend to have set times to meet with constituents and odds are the one day you will be there wont be one of those times.

If you want to visit the monuments and see more of the city I would recommend renting a car. That said I would only go with this option if it is a weekend. Make sure you have a GPS!!! On a weekday there is just too much traffic, and driving will ruin your day.

If cost is less of a factor you can consider taking taxis everywhere, it has been a while since I have taken a taxi to IAD but I except they would cost about $60.

I would highly recommend not taking the Super Shuttle. They will drive around dropping a lot of people off and will eat into valuable tour time.

cheapest: 5A Metro bus, it is 3.10 cash each way per person and takes you to the Royslan Metro station. From there you can take the subway just about anywhere in the city. This bus can get very packed at peak times.

Taxi: Expensive probably about $60 each way, but they can drop you off right in front of your first attraction saving time.

rent a car: If you are good with directions and will be traveling on a weekend you may want to consider renting a car. Weekend rates are low and you have a lot of freedom. I wouldn't recommend this on a weekday because of traffic.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:10 pm

I almost forgot to mention, if you like aviation the Udvar-Hazy Center is only a few minutes from IAD, it is a giant hanger with the Concorde, a space shuttle, and a bunch of historic planes. It is definitely work checking out.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA 2P, Best Western Diamond
More info for you
http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/
A cab to the museum from Dulles is $8-12. It's a great place if you like aerospace stuff (such as the Shuttle Enterprise, an SR-71, and the Enola Gay).

http://www.metwashairports.com/dulle...tion/metrorail
In addition to the 5A bus ClimbGuy mentions you can take the Washington Flyer bus ($18 round trip pp) to the West Falls Church metro stop and then ride into town from there. The Smithsonian stop puts you in the middle of the National Mall. There are museums for almost every interest, try this link for info on what's where (http://www.nps.gov/nama).

Of note, the Smithsonian museums are free (Udvar-Hazy charges for parking but not admission). Their museums are open until 5:30 PM. One museum worth paying for (i.e., not Smithsonian) is the Newseum (http://www.newseum.org/) on Pennsylvania Ave.

If you are into history, the National Archives (http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/washington/) has the Declaration of Independence and Constitution on display and a seasonal ice skating rink outside. For more history, the American History Museum has the Star Spangled Banner. Ford's Theater is a couple of blocks from the Mall and just reopened, their schedule can be found here (http://www.fordstheatre.org/).

If you want to catch a show at (or just tour) the Kennedy Center, their URL is http://www.kennedy-center.org/. For NBA/NHL/college hoops/concerts, see what is playing at the Verizon Center (http://www.verizoncenter.com/). Both are a little ways from the Mall but not too far for a cab ride. Metro can get you to the Verizon Center too but the Kennedy Center isn't close to a stop, a cab or car is the best way to get there. The Spy Museum (http://www.newseum.org/) is close to the Verizon Center and charges admission.

If you are in town in the spring, the Cherry Blossoms might be blooming around the Tidal Basin (south of the Washington Monument in the opposite direction of the White House). Another good one for springtime is the Roosevelt (FDR, not Teddy) Memorial (http://www.nps.gov/frde). It is entirely outdoors and is totally different from the big three (Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial).

There's a start on things to do. Enjoy your visit.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:26 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Oh my goodness
thank you soooo much for the detailed info and effort you put guys put into your responses :-:
we are not American, but Australian, so we don't have a Senator to organise a tour, but looks like we have plenty to keep us occupied

we certainly want to soak up as many museums as we can, and the aviation one sounds perfect too. Some mandatory pics of us in front of monuments and we are all set

We have riden the public bus, in many US states, and across Europe, so will probably use that option

thanks again ^

if you ever come to Australia, don't hesitate to ask for sights advice
Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by Noelene
we are not American, but Australian, so we don't have a Senator to organise a tour, but looks like we have plenty to keep us occupied
Well, a crazy long shot: you could contact the office of Sec. of Education Arne Duncan -- he's not Australian, but he played pro-basketball there for a while, where he met his wife Karen (an Aussie). You might ask if they could put you in touch with Illinois Senator Durbin (or whoever ends up replacing - I hope - Roland Burris) for a tour of the Capitol.

Skip the White House tour -- not as interesting as so many other things in DC. Though people go hoping to catch a glimpse of the current residents, it rarely happens.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you have plenty of time. taxi would be fastest and cleanest. if you wish to rent a car, the hours you are planning to be in the city should not have major traffic problems.

if you do rent a car, PM me, and i will tell you where to park. it's close in, and it is free............
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Are you arriving on an international or domestic flight? I've been told immigration lines for non-U.S. citizens can be long at IAD. (I'm a U.S. citizen and I have never had it take me more than 15 minutes there, however.)

The 5A bus is a good, cheap option. Note that: 1) the fare is slightly higher if you don't have a smart trip card, 2) it only runs about once an hour so you could have a lengthy wait (but I find the schedule is, generally, quite accurate), and 3) for going to the museums on the National Mall, the best bet is to stay on the bus after Rossly since it goes on to L'enfant Plaza, which is about a block and a half south of the Mall, near the Hirschorn Museum (modern art) and the mall location of the Air and Space Museum. By the way, the cafeteria at the Museum of the American Indian is supposed to be notably good. Also, the Smithsonian museums (and the National Gallery of Art and the Library of Congress, which is a personal favorite) are all free to visit. Given the time limitations, those are better bets than, say, the Spy Museum or the Newseum, both of which require the better part of a day to feel like you've gotten your money's worth out of the pricey admission.

You will want to leave yourself extra time getting back to IAD. I assume, since you referred to this as a stopover that you will already be checked in for your continuing flights, but security at IAD is something of a crapshoot in terms of how long it will take.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Two other thoughts:

1) The Dulles branch of the Air and Space Museum (the Udvar-Hazy center) runs a bus directly from the airport bus stop. I'm not sure what the schedule is, but you might be able to find it on line.

2) The Kennedy Center is worth going to at night, but doesn't usually have day time events of any interest. (There are some weekend matinees.) Personally, I don't think much of its architecture but those who are more into modernism may disagree. It won't work with an 8 (or even 9) p.m. flight, but they do have a free performance every night at 6 at the Millennium Stage. And, by the way, it is actually quite easy to get to by public transit. It's a pleasant walk from the Foggy Bottom metro station - and they also run a free shuttle bus to/from the station (about every 10 minutes, from noon to midnight). I usually walk and take the bus back to the metro if I'm on my own and walk both ways if I'm with somebody else.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

we will be coming off a flight from LHR, and continuing on domestically.
I think our best bet is to have a fluid game plan of where we want to go, how we will get there. Driving won't be an option.
Thank you all for the detailed ideas.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:51 pm

I use to live in VA so I never stayed on the bust to Le'enfant so I wasn't even thinking about that, but it is solid advice.

I can't remember which office you need to contact, but there is a way to get a tour as a int'l visitor and sit in the senate or house gallery, a gallery visit is interesting for about 2 minutes unless someone is making an important speech. Unlike the House of commons, there is no class separating the visitors gallery from the floor. Call the Capitol switchboard at +1-202-224-3121 and ask about int'l visits and someone will help you. The line is staffed 24/7, but if they have to transfer you the office you get transferred to wont be.

You mentioned you would like to get pictures in front of the monument, if you are serious about this, you'll need to get a taxi to take you because you won't have enough time to take public transit to them and visit the other sights.

Originally Posted by mhnadel
the best bet is to stay on the bus after Rossly since it goes on to L'enfant Plaza,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.