Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transportation available Quantico to IAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

transportation available Quantico to IAD

Any suggestions on the least expensive way to get to and from Quantico and Dulles International Airport?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

walking, running, bike, hitch hike. cost is zero. almost all other ways cost more than zero.

welcome to ft.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 2:07 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
llydiassusan, welcome to FlyerTalk. Let me move this to our Travel->Washington, DC forum to see if we can get some help for you. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:30 am

Amtrak Quantico to Alexandria: $18.
Metro Alexandria to Rosslyn: $1.85.
5A bus Rosslyn to IAD: $2.20 (with paper transfer).

Pretty sure that's the cheapest route, but it's definitely not what I'd call fast or convenient.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I don't know the actual cost but the VRE is probably cheaper than Amtrak although timing is very important. You can take the VRE to L'Enfant Plaza, then catch the 5A bus to IAD from there. Again, not the most direct or convenient way of doing it.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:47 am

Doh. Yes, of course VRE goes that far south; I'd forgotten. $7.45 to L'Enfant or $6.90 to Alexandria.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Rampo
I don't know the actual cost but the VRE is probably cheaper than Amtrak although timing is very important. You can take the VRE to L'Enfant Plaza, then catch the 5A bus to IAD from there. Again, not the most direct or convenient way of doing it.
What time of day do you need to get there? VRE is a good option, but doesn't run on weekends or holidays and predominantly runs in the direction of rush hour (looks like there are two northbound trains in the afternoon/evening).

Amtrak will be somewhat better in terms of frequency for off peak times, but still, it's not like there is hourly service from Quantico or anything--it's far enough south to be mostly off the DC public transportation grid.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:58 am

Also, forgot to mention-- I don't know if you've already purchased flights to/from IAD, but if you could fly to DCA instead, that would cut out a step or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.