Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pittsburgh breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Best Pittsburgh breakfast?

I need some recommendations for a breakfast in Pittsburgh, PA. It will be Saturday morning, so many of the quality brunch locations won't apply.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:44 am

Programs: UA, AA
The best "greasy spoon" breakfast is Pamela's in Shadyside (I think there is a location in Oakland too).
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by happymob
I need some recommendations for a breakfast in Pittsburgh, PA. It will be Saturday morning, so many of the quality brunch locations won't apply.
You mean something besides the traditional Pittsburgh cuisine of an Iron City and a shot of whiskey?

If you're open to "greasy spoon diners" rather than "quality brunch locations", then earlier this year I had an excellent Saturday morning breakfast at a place in the Strip called DeLuca's. Very crowded, however the lines moved pretty quickly.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:41 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
If you're in the burbs, the Eat and Park's have a decent breakfast. You can get off the menu or they have a breakfast buffet.

DeLuca's is good... isn't there a Peppi's in the strip, too?

For that matter, you could roam around the strip on a Saturday morning and get coffee in several vendors, some baked goods in others... just walk around and create your own brunch. I've done that before... many times. If you have decent weather, it's a huge bonus!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Pittsburgh? Bwha. This place is a dump.

Regarding Eat 'n Park that the other poster recommended, expect Denny's quality, atmosphere, and ambience. Nothing more.

Anyways, perhaps the OP can help us out a bit better by letting us know roughly where's he/she's staying. Downtown? Northern 'burbs?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:22 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Pamela's is noted in another thread about top places for pancakes. But I'm not a big pancake eater. Good, not sure if worth a trip out of the way. I never remember which location is the original, I think Shadyside, although they're also in Oakland and the Strip. I like DeLuca's as well, will be packed on Saturday as that's when everyone goes to the Strip to shop, but typically not long to wait even then.

Breakfast doesn't seem to me to be a time when fancy food is in order, so these are really typical sort of place. Heading to the Strip on a Saturday morning is a typical Pittsburgh outing, just wander through the shops which are mostly about food anyway.

These work if you are staying somewhere central. If not, there may be other more convenient suggestions.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Try Primanti brothers, I beleive they have breakfast.
If you don't know about them google Primanti bros.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by tonerman
Try Primanti brothers, I beleive they have breakfast.
If you don't know about them google Primanti bros.
Well, if you consider an egg and cheese with tomatoes, fries and slaw all on the sandwich to be breakfast, then yeah.

The one in the Strip is open 24/7, I think, but the menu doesn't have any dedicated breakfast, nor does the suburban menu, at least according to the web site http://www.primantibros.com/
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Well, if you consider an egg and cheese with tomatoes, fries and slaw all on the sandwich to be breakfast, then yeah.

The one in the Strip is open 24/7, I think, but the menu doesn't have any dedicated breakfast, nor does the suburban menu, at least according to the web site http://www.primantibros.com/
The Primanti's in the Strip offers a breakfast special - 2 eggs, cooked to order, fries, bacon or sausage, cole slaw, tomato, toast, and coffee for $4.50. I recommend the hot sausage. The Primanti's breakfast special definitely worth the cost. They also offer a breakfast sandwich (egg, meat, tomato) for $2.99, IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.