Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Arriving IAD 12:57 a.m; leaving IAD 11:59 a.m. next day: what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving IAD 12:57 a.m; leaving IAD 11:59 a.m. next day: what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Plat
Arriving IAD 12:57 a.m; leaving IAD 11:59 a.m. same day: what would you do?

I'm scheduled to be in IAD from late in the evening (12:57 a.m) leaving 11:59 a.m (the same morning).

Given this, would you opt to

a) hang out in the airport
b) try to go somewhere outside the airport and get back in time for the flight?
c) try to sleep somewhere affordably?

Any ideas? Coffee shops/all night museums/cheap sleeps? I have no commitments beyond my flights.

Last edited by kennethfine; Aug 16, 2006 at 7:59 pm Reason: clarifying the same day (morning) departure
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kennethfine
I'm scheduled to be in IAD from late in the evening (11:57 a.m) leaving 11:59 a.m (the same morning).

Any ideas? Coffee shops/all night museums/cheap sleeps? I have no commitments beyond my flights.
Definitely not "a".

I'd rather Priceline a hotel and/or if push comes to shove get a rental car, drive downtown and hang out at some latenight restaurant or coffeeshop around Georgetown or Dupont Circle.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Definitely not "a".

I'd rather Priceline a hotel and/or if push comes to shove get a rental car, drive downtown and hang out at some latenight restaurant or coffeeshop around Georgetown or Dupont Circle.
One other data point: I have an Admirals Club membership; the IAD AC opens at 6 a.m.

I haven't been to Dulles. Is it nice or not? My impression is that it's way out in the boonies, which would make it harder to find something interesting nearby.

Last edited by kennethfine; Aug 16, 2006 at 7:54 pm
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Check out a local hotel - there is a cheap Marriott not too far away (with a shuttle). It was under $100.

For that long a layover, grab a room. (this spoken as a person who has slept in some of the finer airports in the world )
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I'm scheduled to be in IAD from late in the evening (11:57 a.m) leaving 11:59 a.m (the same morning).

Im confused. 11:57 in the evening (PM) of day A and leaving 11:59 in the monring (AM) of day B, or 11:57 AM on day A and 11:59 AM on day B? Or 12:57 AM day A and 11:57 AM day A?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Check out a local hotel - there is a cheap Marriott not too far away (with a shuttle). It was under $100.

For that long a layover, grab a room. (this spoken as a person who has slept in some of the finer airports in the world )
Too much, I'm accustomed to hostelling prices. Absent any amusements near the airport, does Dulles close and/or kick folks out?

I could chill/rest/sleep until ~6, and then get some work done at the AC if security is not overvigilant.

-KF
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:59 pm
Suspended

One other data point: I have an Admirals Club membership; the IAD AC opens at 6 a.m.

I haven't been to Dulles. Is it nice or not? My impression is that it's way out in the boonies, which would make it harder to find something interesting nearby.
Dulles is in the boonies from my perspective. And there's really not much to do around there between midnight and 6 a.m.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Too much, I'm accustomed to hostelling prices. Absent any amusements near the airport, does Dulles close and/or kick folks out?

I could chill/rest/sleep until ~6, and then get some work done at the AC if security is not overvigilant.

-KF
You can priceline a hotel for the $40-50 range and/or get a rental car for $20 or bucks.

There's a site called "sleepingatairports.com" or something like that. They'd know more than me about being at IAD overnight. During the days, it's not great fun; I can't imagine it being any better at night.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sany2
Im confused. 11:57 in the evening (PM) of day A and leaving 11:59 in the monring (AM) of day B, or 11:57 AM on day A and 11:59 AM on day B? Or 12:57 AM day A and 11:57 AM day A?
My bad, message body is edited. I get in at 12:57 on day A, and leave at 11:59 a.m. on day A.

Logan had the all-night Duncan Donuts action, and a choice blue carpet to curl up on. Does IAD have any similar luxuries?

-KF
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

You can priceline a hotel for the $40-50 range and/or get a rental car for $20 or bucks.
Car sounds interesting. If you had a rental car all night long in the D.C. area, what would +you+ do?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

There's a site called "sleepingatairports.com" or something like that. They'd know more than me about being at IAD overnight.
Great tip. sleepingatairports.net is great comic relief. Here's the skinny on sleeping at IAD:
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/washington.htm

My two favorite comments involve a) sleeping in the chapel, and b) sleeping on the counter of the women's restroom. Who dreams up this stuff?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
It's too bad the hours are such that you cannot really see anything. Nearby Dulles is the Udvar Hazy center, part of the National Air and Space museum. I went a few years ago and thought it was great. They don't open until 10 am, though, so you are out of luck. Given that, I might just Priceline a hotel.

fuzz
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I wouldn't recommend sleeping at the airport. Your best (and probably least expensive) option is to priceline a hotel near the airport - probably can get away with one of $40 or $50. Dulles is about 30 miles from downtown DC and a cab will cost you almost $70. A rental car definitely is the least expensive option. No public transport into the city is available at 1:00 am, but Super Shuttles would be. There is nothing of interest anywhere near IAD that would be open at the time you'll be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.