Wiki Posts
Search

Parking Q from VA. going to NY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold,United 2P
Parking Q from VA. going to NY

I'll be visiting family in VA. this week and was thinking about taking a quick trip upto NY. After paying $26 in tolls a few weeks ago , I'll definetly take the train or the bus (Greyhound or Chinatown). I'm probably leaning towards the bus out of cheapness.
My question is , does anyone know where I can leave my car (rental) for 2-3 days while I go off to NY. The Metro stations only allow 24 hours (at least the ones around Falls Church on the orange line) and I can't find any parking info on the web for Greyhound.
Any inside info would be appreciated , Thanks in advance,
Rexly
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:58 pm

You could always park your car at IAD or DCA, and then take the metro to the bus or train station.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Union Station is usually an option, but I think all or part of the garage is closed for renovation.

The Springfield, VA Metro station once had a pilot program which set aside a few spaces that did allow overnight parking. Not sure if that's still in effect.

I believe there are lots near the Greyhound Station in DC, but it's, ahem, not the safest area.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
How far is the family you're visiting from a metro station or bus stop? If you're going for cheapness, being dropped in a convenient location seems your best bet.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:17 pm

How about returning the rental car for those days you won't be using it?

You won't need to pay for the rental car for those days and you won't need to pay for parking. Just take a cab or metro to get from the rental car place to the bus/train station.

I did this on a previous multi-city trip, and I ended up doing it with 2 rental car reservations.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:07 am

Depending on where in VA you are going to be and when you are going to / from NY, you could leave your car in one of the shopping malls. For ex - there is a commuter bus that goes from Potamac Mills into downtown DC every weekday morning and comes back in the afternoon.

Its not the best option and I am sure you are technically not supposed to park overnight in shopping malls, but I would be surprised if there were any consequences.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Park on one of the residential streets near Rosslyn. They're all uphill walking back from the Metro station, but no more than a 12-minute walk or so in either direction. Get on Lee Hwy westbound and turn on N. Oak Street past the Key Bridge Marriott---there are still quite a few unrestricted spaces in this neighborhood near the Fort Georgetown Apartments. Very safe; I've parked my car here numerous times. Just be sure you're not parked in a 2-hour zone as Arlington recently rezoned a few spots here.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank You

Thank you to everyone for the advise , I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
There are several overnight spaces at the Greenbelt Metro. If you do drive up there, taking the B30 Metrobus to BWI and catching Amtrak from the airport is not a bad option compared to taking the Metro all the way back downtown to Union Station.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone

As it turned out the whole trip was in VA. and I never got to go up to NY , oh well , thanks again for the tips , I may use them on a future trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.