Wiki Posts
Search

Nice hotel in D.C. in May

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Nice hotel in D.C. in May

Would be interested in your opinions of hotels in the Washington, D.C. area for May 3-7. Golfteam, Mrs. Golfteam and two teenage daughters. Have Starwood Gold Status, but would consider anything nice.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given the wife and daughters, I think Georgetown may be the best overall, although it can require a cab or a bit of walk to the metro when heading toward more routine DC tourist places. [The reason for Georgetown is the variety of restaurants, plenty of areas to walk around at night, close to the Harbor, plenty of shopping]

In the Georgetown vicinity: Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, followed by the Four Seasons in Georgetown would be good suggestions at the higher price points. At lower price points, Lathams Hotel, Georgetown Suites, Georgetown Dutch Inn (I don't know if that last one is still around or not as an actual hotel.)

If you want to be closer to the Metro lines and are just looking at daytime tourist things to do, then some of the hotels close to or connected to Metro Center or around Farragut Square may work out and the price points provide reasonably good value on non-business days, but during the work week can be priced not so-great.

I don't know how amenable you are to moving hotels during the days you are there, but a change of hotels -- if there is not a lot of luggage involved -- can provide a better value price-wise and give you a better feel for different parts of DC. [Also, I would not hesitate too much to go for hotels in Metro-connected areas of Virginia that are just across the bridge from DC and do not require a car.]

If you are looking for classic DC hotels, then there is the Willard InterContinental, the Hays-Adam, the Mayflower hotel and some other such places.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:11 am

If you want to stay within the Starwood family, I'd recommend either the St. Regis or the Westin Grand, with a preference to the St. Regis for location, quality and service.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While not Starwood, my favorite hotel down there is the Hay-Adams.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Westin Grand

Originally Posted by FreakwentFlier
If you want to stay within the Starwood family, I'd recommend either the St. Regis or the Westin Grand, with a preference to the St. Regis for location, quality and service.

Cheers,
Jeff
I did find a good rate at the Westin Grand $199/prepay or $219/cancellable incl breakfast and late checkout. It is only good Thur/Fri/Sat. so I am still looking and am inclined to move hotels if something else looks promising. Most Hotels are cheaper over the weekend. Keep up the advice and I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by golfteam
I did find a good rate at the Westin Grand $199/prepay or $219/cancellable incl breakfast and late checkout. It is only good Thur/Fri/Sat. so I am still looking and am inclined to move hotels if something else looks promising. Most Hotels are cheaper over the weekend. Keep up the advice and I'll keep looking. Thanks.
The Westin Grand is at least a 10 min walk to the nearest metro station.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The downtown 4 points is not all that unnice, but also not all that inexpensive. May is sort of high season in DC.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
The Westin Grand is at least a 10 min walk to the nearest metro station.
You walk slow.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:28 pm

There is also a new westin in Ballston. The hotel is next to a metro stop and only about 15-20 minutes from downtown by metro. I checked rates the other day for some dates in April and it was pretty cheap ~$140/night.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:02 am

I would recommend the Fairmont. Centrally located, upscale (but not pretentious) and welcoming to families. The metro is an easy walk and the suites are very nice. Sometimes the hotel runs specials for $150 and under, which would make it a steal in my opinion.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Fairmont

Originally Posted by JoePizza
I would recommend the Fairmont. Centrally located, upscale (but not pretentious) and welcoming to families. The metro is an easy walk and the suites are very nice. Sometimes the hotel runs specials for $150 and under, which would make it a steal in my opinion.
It's pricing at $489/night. $569 /suite Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Bump...

Still looking.....help. May 3-7
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:36 pm

Most are not Starwood Properties, I know, but here are my choices:

The Jefferson Hotel....right downtown.....beautiful boutique hotel, near National Geographic.

The Tabard Inn...quirky small hotel right in the heart of Dupont Circle......wonderful outside dining.

The St. Regis....classic. Near the White House.

The Willard.....pricey, but beautiful. Closer to the White House.

Hotel Monaco......close to the MCI center, Spy Museum, two great restaraunts....Zaytinya, and Zola....newly renovated

Have a great trip
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The St. Regis DC is the one I would definitely not recommend as a good value unless SPG Plat or going after Starwood points. Other than that, there are better options and values.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:15 pm

Would second the Hotel Monaco in terms of the area - mostly re-developed area with good restuarants and you can walk to the Mall with Smithsonian / Natural History, etc. Also can take the Circulator bus over to Georgetown and close to Metro Center so you can metro anywhere.

More of a boutique hotel so may not be exactly what kids love, but still worth a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.