Search

Sunday Brunch in Philadephia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG/1MM
Sunday Brunch in Philadephia?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a nice place for sunday brunch in Philadelphia (downtown or University city area)?

It's our daughter's 18th birthday so we're looking for something a bit special.

Tried the Ritz Carlton but they don't seem to offer one.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:07 pm

The best brunch in the city is provided by the Four Seasons, Philadelphia. There are two choices in adjoining rooms: The Swann Lounge has more of a standard breakfast + heavier fare, while the more swanky and expensive "Fountain (IIRC)" has entrees to order. They usually have live jazz as well. Definitely the gold standard in Philadelphia Brunch.

Another fun alternative would be Zanzibar Blue's jazz brunch. You can pre-book on opentable.com. They have live jazz musicians, and a local radio station broadcasts live there on Sundays. The service is not the swiftest, but the food is good and the atmosphere is great. I wouldn't recommend it if you are in a hurry.

Both of the above are a bit pricey. If you're looking for something a bit more reasonable, Valanni at 12/Spruce St is quite nice, with interesting dishes and mimosa-like menus. It's a bit more casual, but W-esque in decor. I've never had a bad meal there.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
I have not been myself, but I hear the Sunday brunch at the Four Seasons is phenomenal. I have been meaning to go soon!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info PHLbuddy.

I can imagine that Four Seasons will be quite special. How could it not, being a Four Seasons?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
I agree the FS Philadelphia's brunch is spectacular, but can be hard to get a reservation. You don't say how soon your celebration is - but if you can't get into this one give a try to the sunday brunch at Lacroix at the Rittenhouse hotel. The chef, Jean-Marie Lacroix, is the former chef from the Four Seasons and we had the most incredible meal here a few months ago. You get to go into the restaurant kitchen for stations with special dishes - I would think that might be a treat for a young adult. Do ask for a window table.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:36 am

I found LaCroix to be HORRRIBLE. Very slow, incorrect service (served us the wrong plate, then removed it and placed the same plate on another diner's table!), and the menu to be too obtuse for my liking. I loved this place when it was Treetops, but I think LaCroix has missed the mark. I also know I am probably in the minority, as it garnered Esquire Magazine's best new restaurant the year it opened.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 9:52 pm

I have not been disappointed with the Park Hyatt's brunch.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:25 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The Yum Research Dept

Originally Posted by johnep1
I have not been disappointed with the Park Hyatt's brunch.
The Park Hyatt puts out a first class affair.
The baking is a cut above most hotels and outside establisments I travel too.
They also have a great management team of kind professionals
Having said that I sent my colleagues there a few weeks ago and I believe they are in the middle of multi million dollar cosmetic makeover so it may be closed at present.
You may want to check with the hotel if this is of interest to you.......
They have some of the best fresh squeezed Orange juice I have ever sampled.
Zabars in NY is the only thing I have tried that will beat it.
All fresh,sweet and not any bitterness at all

Congrats to the birthday girl. Enjoy where ever you end up
By all means give us a report
Cheers
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:11 am

Founders, the Park Hyatt's Restaurant, is currently closed to remodeling.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:04 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Founders, the Park Hyatt's Restaurant, is currently closed to remodeling.
Closed till January
I stay here every Thanksgiving when visiting the family.
It won't be the same this year.........
But I'm sure the wait will be worth it
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Four Seasons it was

Well, Mrs. Ptony101 and the "princess" decided on the Four Seasons (I had to stay at home with our boys and a dead garage door opener) .

We made reservations 3 days in advance for the Swann Cafe. Seating starts at 10:00, and continues every 30 min until 2:00pm. The reservationist asked if there were any special occassions being celebrated and we told them it was an 18th birthday. This was noted on the reservation. Mid day seatings (11:00 to 1:30) were already booked up so we took 10:30.

It's also possible to eat at the Fountain Restaurant which has an appetizer table, breakfast breads and fixed prices entrees which ranged from $47-60 each.

Daughter described it as "brunch heaven"; best food and most she's eaten in weeks (poor college student).

Mom had a bit more detail to offer. There were something like 5 main stations and some smaller tables.

The first had belgian waffles, chalah french toast, fresh fruit garnishes, and the usual toppings, and eggs benedict. The eggs were prepared partly to order: they were pre-poached to begin with but the server re-poached them and then assembled them. Much more impressive than the warming tray full of pre-made ones! And, surprisingly, not over cooked.

Another had breakfast breads (excellent croissants according to daughter). Bagels, muffins and the like.

There was a carving station with rack of lamb and stuffed duck breast and another item no one remembers. Also served was prosciutto wrapped quail, mixed veggies and a seafood pasta entree.

There was a small table with kids food: mac and cheese, chicken fingers, bagel pizza and pigs-in-blankets.

Next was a table with beef wellington and another dish that looked like stuffed duck again and some seafood entrees (Mom and daughter don't like fish so no details on these, sorry).

There was a small seafood table with shrimp, sushi, lox, etc.

There was an omlette station with breakfast meats (bacon, sausage) and hash browns.

Finally, there was a dessert table to die for. Creme brulé, mini cheese cake, vanilla ice cream with sunday toppings, cookies, assorted cakes, small parfaits, mini fruit tarts.

Service was very efficient: used plates immediately removed, fresh silver brought each time. But, there was no follow up on the special occassion note made at reservation time.

Cost was $55 p.p. plus tax and tip. Included tea, coffee, juice. A bloody mary would set you back around $9.50. Domain Chandon (I guess for mimosas) was the same. These were served after 11:00am, which is when live music started.

Mrs. Ptony101 said the hotel itself is fabulous. Best restrooms she ever rested in.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Thanks for the great report!! Happy to hear your daughter enjoyed the special treat. I am surprised to hear that the FS did not follow up on the birthday notation. When I went to brunch at the FS PHL (in Fountain) the staff somehow knew it my birthday was coming up within a few days and surprised me with a special dessert. My sister swore she never mentioned a thing; perhaps as guests in the hotel they found out some other way.....
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by ptony101
There was a carving station with rack of lamb and stuffed duck breast and another item no one remembers.
Must have been Scrapple.

Thank you for the report. Sounds like a lovely experience.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:18 am

So glad it worked out! Thanks for the report, sorry you had to miss it!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:15 pm

Title worked so I revived an old thread.

We arrive PHL at 8:48 am on a summer Sunday and leave on an international flight at 5:45 pm. We are looking to meet friends near the airport for brunch. Any suggestions?

My wife is from Philadelphia and we have seen most of the sites so there is no reason to go into Center City. Also we will have two 22" carry-ons and personal items to juggle.

Still we could take a taxi somewhere for bunch and have our friends drop us off at the airport when done if there are no good nearby choices..

Meeting at big airports is usually a mess. I understand there is a Marriott in Terminal B. We could walk there and meet them if that is easier than the curb outside the arrival area. In fact, if the Marriott has a good brunch we could eat there. Does it have a special Sunday brunch.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.