Sleeping in DCA

Old Oct 20, 04, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
Sleeping in DCA

I have a mileage run planned for a couple of weeks from now. One of the nights is going to be spent at DCA. I wanted to see if anyone had any tips/insights regarding sleeping there over night. Any location recommendations or other tips would be greatly appreciated. I checked out www.sleepinginairports.net, but it only had limited info on DCA.

Also, how far is IAD from DCA and what is the best way to get between the two airports?

Thank you!
Old Oct 20, 04, 1:56 pm

IAD is approximately 40-45 minutes from DCA by car. If memory serves Washington Flyer (local taxi company) runs a shuttle between the 2 that is much cheaper than a cab would be.

Good luck,
- RightD
Old Oct 20, 04, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
RightD is right

Originally Posted by RightD
IAD is approximately 40-45 minutes from DCA by car. If memory serves Washington Flyer (local taxi company) runs a shuttle between the 2 that is much cheaper than a cab would be.

Good luck,
- RightD
RightD is right. You can get the Washington Flyer. Or you can take the SuperShuttle. If cost is a factor, you can take the Flyer to the West Falls Church metro stop from IAD for $8 and then catch the blue line train directly to DCA. For more information, check out:

the FAQs at the Washington Flyer website

Also, DCA is in Arlington, VA and you have other options than at the airport itself. I live on the other side of the Maryland-Virginia divide, so I don't know where to recommend, but Arlington has hotels in every price range for every taste. You might do better to stay there than at the airport itself, but then you might have reasons to stay at the airport (early flight?).
Old Oct 20, 04, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
There is a curfew at DCA due to the airport's proximity to the city, so security may feel you have no reason to be there after hours (and may not even let you remain airside). Since I'm invariably dashing from work when I use it, I can't actually remember whether the seats have armrests or not.

There are quite a few hotels in Crystal City, the neighborhood adjacent to the airport (one stop on Metro, or a half hour walk if you are adventurous). While they generally aren't expensive by Washington standards, none pops into my mind as ideal MR lodging.

Washington Flyer discontinued its IAD-DCA shuttle years ago. The only direct way to go between the airports is by taxi, SuperShuttle, or rental car. However, you can take the Metro (Blue Line) to Rosslyn, then take the 5A Express Bus to Dulles. The 5A only runs once an hour, so you will need to plan carefully-- the Metro segment will be 10-15 minutes and the bus 45-60 minutes depending on time of day and traffic, but it'll be under $4 each way.

Alternatively, you can transfer at Rosslyn to the Orange Line to West Falls Church and take the half-hourly WashFly shuttle from there, which would be a little under $11 each way.
Old Oct 22, 04, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by choster
There are quite a few hotels in Crystal City, the neighborhood adjacent to the airport (one stop on Metro, or a half hour walk if you are adventurous). While they generally aren't expensive by Washington standards, none pops into my mind as ideal MR lodging.
There are 2 or 3 cheap-looking motel-type places in Crystal City. One is called the Americana right on US1, and the other is further north out by where Crystal City turns industrial. You can easily walk to both from the metro, or all the way from the airport.

Edit:That other one is called the Crystal City motel, btw.

Last edited by chtiet; Nov 1, 04 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 26, 04, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by chtiet
There are 2 or 3 cheap-looking motel-type places in Crystal City. One is called the Americana right on US1, and the other is further north out by where Crystal City turns industrial. You can easily walk to both from the metro, or all the way from the airport.
The Americana is reasonable priced, however, if you're doing a weekend run, I'd recommend checking out some of the big-names too - I've seen the Sheraton National for 59 before on a Saturday night.

If you're coming into town, post on the DC Monthly Happy Hours Thread & maybe you can join some of us for a drink.
Old Nov 10, 04, 12:26 pm

If you don't care about the hotel credit, biddingfortravel.com reports Priceline is taking $50 or less hotel rates in several locations. As it's explained in the Hyatt section of the flyertalk forum, doing two stays at a Hyatt, paying for anything with a mastercard, gets you a free night at a hyatt. Not a bad deal.