Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

D.C. 'Bike the Sites' - Any experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Just came across this company offering guided bike tours in D.C. ... anybody have any experiences with them?

http://www.bikethesites.com/index.html

I've been on similar tours (Mike's Bikes in Munich and Amsterdam, and another one in Paris), and I hope this one is just as fun and informative.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by UA835
Just came across this company offering guided bike tours in D.C. ... anybody have any experiences with them?

http://www.bikethesites.com/index.html

I've been on similar tours (Mike's Bikes in Munich and Amsterdam, and another one in Paris), and I hope this one is just as fun and informative.
Never done it, but DC is a great city to bike around. It's pretty flat with wide streets and lots of grassy areas and wide sidewalks (yeah I know you shouldn't ride on the side walks, but have you seen those MD drivers?

We bought bikes last year and ride them all over the city. Neither of us are in the best shape of our lives, but getting out on the bike a pedaling for a few hours makes for a great afternoon.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 6:14 pm

I did the Monument tour last week with my parents, and it was great. They wouldn't have been able to walk the same route to see all that you can see on this tour, and a tour bus would never have gotten them that close.

I would recommend this for anyone. It would be great for kids, as it would keep them interested between sites more so than sitting on a bus. They were good about fitting the bikes, and they provided helmets and water.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by BeachRunner
I did the Monument tour last week with my parents, and it was great. They wouldn't have been able to walk the same route to see all that you can see on this tour, and a tour bus would never have gotten them that close.

I would recommend this for anyone. It would be great for kids, as it would keep them interested between sites more so than sitting on a bus. They were good about fitting the bikes, and they provided helmets and water.
Would you give us a little more detail like: What company did you use (did you use the above link)? Where did it leave from? What was the cost? Where did you ride?

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:47 pm

I did use the above link (www.bikethesites.com). It cost $35 per person, which included a bike, helmet, water, and a guide. I think they allow for up to 15 people per tour, but ours just had 4, and the guide.

We met at their location in the Federal Triangle, near the Old Post Office, and started from there. First stop was the White House, and then the WWII Memorial, where we got 10 minutes to go walk around it (the guide watched the bikes at all the stops). Then we went over to the Einstein statue, which I am sure we would have missed without this tour.

Next, the Vietnam Memorial, where we had another 10 minutes to walk around it. Then the Lincoln Memorial, Korean Memorial, FDR Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial, where we were given time to walk around each one.

At each stop, the guide gave us pertinent facts and information, which I found was more than I heard about the same sites when I did the Red trolley the next day.

We took it in the morning. They also have the same tour at night, which would be pretty neat. Also, you can get a combo package for the monuments and the museums. However, I am guessing they will just show you where each museum is, and you wouldn't have time to go in. But it would give you a nice overview.

In addition, Bike the Sites has bikes you can rent hourly, so that you can go out on your own. They have a new "Segs in the City" program, where you can rent one of those Segways. And there is a group that will meet for a fitness ride in the morning from there, but it was vacation, so I didn't check that out.

BeachRunner
Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:17 pm

Very cool BeachRunner. Thanks for the indepth info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.