Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que, Lightfoot, Virginia

Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que
I-64 W along Rochambeau Dr.
Lightfoot, Virginia
757-565-2955

Pierce's is my must-stop on the way to the Outer Banks. Pierce's BBQ is just north of Williamsburg along the interstate. Follow the bright yellow signs; there are some twists and turns, but you will get there. When you do, make sure you are hungry. The burgers are good but the BBQ is awesome. The burgers also take longer to cook, so place your burger order separate from the BBQ stuff.

Decisions, decisions! I suggest that you get ribs (half or full rack, dinner platter or not), catfish, or BBQ (jumbo, regular, or super). The one combo (1/2 lb BBQ and chicken breast) on the menu does not help me. A good bet is to be with someone that will split meals; say, one get ribs and one get catfish (mix and match to create your own combo).

Opt for the dinner platter when possible. For an extra buck you get fries, slaw, and the omnipresent hush puppies. Drinks are self-serve, so you might as well get the smallest size. The cookies are often good.

Pierce's BBQ has been a Richmond-area fixture for over 30 years. Also check their website: http://www.pierces.com
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL, US
The only good thing at this place are the BBQ sandwiches. Anytime I tried the BBQ ribs or chicken it wasn't that good. The french fries are the fat crinkly type and not cooked long enough for my taste. They are still kind of white so do what I do when you order the combo, ask for a different side item than the fries.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I have had great success with the ribs, catfish, BBQ sandwiches, and burgers. Never tried the chicken. Sorry that your experience differs from mine. Anyone else?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:48 am

Pierce's is the Pitts!

Tried this place after seeing the signs. I'm a barbecue fanatic and am always seeking out good Q. Ordered a half slab and a pork sandwich. The sandwich was fine. But the ribs? Horrible! Boiled in vinegar water, and basted with sauce and that was it. They claimed they were "baked," which in itself is a sham if you call yourself a "pitt" barbecue. These were gray, without a bit of carmelization or even grill marks. Truly disgusting. And yet the pork sandwich was fine. This is NOT a barbecue joint. Especially if the burgers are being recommended. True Q joints don't even serve burgers!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
i had a consulting gig a few yearsbak , and one client was Nasa - Langley. so One day I drove down with the guy i was working for, a NASA HQ employee. We stopped at Pierce's on the way home. I didnt like it, as i dont like anything with vinegar, but he loved it

BTW i buy vinegar in bulk to use as an organic grass killer
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:53 pm

I can't say I cared much for Pierce's either, but I'm not a huge fan of vinegar based sauce. I prefer Memphis or KC style BBQ.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:11 am

Try Hog Wild Smokehouse

I'm not that big a fan of vinegar based bbq either. I'm a local WBG person, try Hogwild Smokehouse the next time you are in town. Excellent BBQ.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:20 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Beytes
The sandwich was fine. But the ribs? Horrible!
Virginia barbecue is not known for ribs, but rather pulled pork. Pierce's generally serves it in a tomato-based sauce, but Virginia is big on NC-style vinegar sauce as well.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I remember my dad taking us here to and from our summer vacations in Va. Beach. Good food, but that was back in the late 70s and early 80s, so I can't offer any recent review.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:45 pm

When we travel 64 to the Outer Banks it's a tradition to stop at Pierce's. It has changed a lot over the years but the BBQ is good. I'm curious about "Wild Hog Smokehouse". Perhaps we'll try it the next time we're going that way.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I grew up in the area and try to get back to Pierce's whenever I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.