Philly hotel choice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philly hotel choice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Philly hotel choice

Currently planning a trip to Philly in mid-feb for approx a week. I'm considering the following 3 hotels only as i have elite status at each:
Sofitel Philadelphia at Rittenhouse Square
Kimpton Hotel Monaco
Kimpton Hotel Palomar
Currently the prices for all 3 are broadly comparable, although i have better upgrade possibilities at either of the Kimptons. As plans may change while there i may break it into 2 separate reservations of 3/4/5 days each.
Is any of those 3 properties considered better or worse than the others, or is 1 more outstanding than the other 2?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was Kimpton Inner Circle for many years and am now Diamond Ambassador. The two Kimptons are my go-tos in Philadelphia even with my Hyatt Globalist status benefits.

Related thread for the two properties is here Which Kimpton Monaco or Palomar in Philadelphia?

It all boils down to a few things for me. Monaco is my choice when I am travelling by car and/or I want to play tourist in the Old City area or if I am able to get a unicorn reservation at Zahav. There's several other nice places to eat in the area that are within walking distance. Rittenhouse Square is fun for the weekend farmer's market, hipster cafes, and even foodier places to eat. It's also walking distance to the train station if the weather's good. I like the rooms and overall decor of the Monaco over the Palomar but have always had good upgrades at both. There's a great concierge at the Monaco who totally hooked me up this past June with some over-the-top amenities as a returning guest who's stayed there several times over the years.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Thanks a lot for that, including the info in the other thread.
We'll not have a car so relying on public transport. Still the Monaco is the best of the 3?
If the upgrades are generally good anyway, is it worth burning a CSU? We'll only know for sure we're going around 10 days before arrival, so well within the 14 days.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Ambassador, Inner Circle; Marriott/SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
I’ve stayed at both Kimptons over the years and each has good points. Monaco for Old City (and as someone mentioned when you can score a Zahav reservation).

My go-to is the Palomar. Love the staff, the location and the tubs. There has significant construction across the street. And that may not be for you or ask for a room on opposite side of hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond, National Emerald Club Executive Elite
Maybe not super important but I can tell you to avoid the Delta hotel by Philadelphia airport, our room was terribly musty and I got really bad headaches. Lots of airline staff came here and they seemed to be well taken care of, everyone else, not so much. Fitness area and restaurant were good though! The staff at the desk couldn't have cared less about the musty ness but when I gave a negative review to Mariott they instantly apologized and said they wish I told them as they would have found me a new room...

Last edited by Oconnd; Jan 12, 2024 at 2:23 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:48 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Hi,

I'm looking for a week long stay for attending a conference at the Convention Center and I wonder if any FTers have had experiences staying at Sonders, and perhaps specifically any of the 3 Sonders near the convention center:

The Heid 19107 (Chinatown ?)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/172uChDgXVJicnZZ8

Onyx 19102 19102 (Hahnemann?)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pTM6ob67qhrBwDXm8

Sixteen Hundred 19103
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qVZ2ZEqcJWiMCi9c7

Prices with the week stay discount is is around 140 usd/night which appears (too?) good.

Thank you for any insights!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I stayed at a different Sonder on Chestnut St farther west a few years ago, and it was fine. It was basically a cross between a corporate apartment and an extended-stay hotel, with somewhat low-quality furnishings and no character.

Also, check whether the price you're seeing includes things like "mandatory cleaning fees." I remember that the Sonder (which my friend booked) did not include those costs in the upfront price (and he apparently didn't pay attention until after the booking was complete ... sigh.) In our case, I remember the all-in price for the Sonder to be about the same as a regular hotel.

Is there a particular reason you want to be right next to the convention center? That's not the loveliest area of town. I'd personally prefer to stay somewhere by Rittenhouse Square, or maybe Reading Terminal Market, and walk to/from the conference. Of course, that assumes you don't have duties that require you to be at the convention center early and/or late.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I stayed at a different Sonder on Chestnut St farther west a few years ago, and it was fine. It was basically a cross between a corporate apartment and an extended-stay hotel, with somewhat low-quality furnishings and no character.

Also, check whether the price you're seeing includes things like "mandatory cleaning fees." I remember that the Sonder (which my friend booked) did not include those costs in the upfront price (and he apparently didn't pay attention until after the booking was complete ... sigh.) In our case, I remember the all-in price for the Sonder to be about the same as a regular hotel.

Is there a particular reason you want to be right next to the convention center? That's not the loveliest area of town. I'd personally prefer to stay somewhere by Rittenhouse Square, or maybe Reading Terminal Market, and walk to/from the conference. Of course, that assumes you don't have duties that require you to be at the convention center early and/or late.
Hi M60_to_LGA,

Thanks for the pointers! I played around with Sonder prices and it seems like the sweet spot is 7 nights, any less and the price(all-in)/night is at least the same as a regular hotel, as you said.
The southern side of convention center does look nicer, work will pay for the lowest-reasonable option which will be Sonders and I think I'll rather put the $ saved (if not self-paying the difference to a better hotel) on food.
Will report back on my stay, looking forward to the cheesesteak!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.