Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I-95 through Philadelphia: FUBAR until further notice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I-95 through Philadelphia: FUBAR until further notice

In case you've missed the news, a gasoline tanker fire yesterday brought down a chunk of Interstate 95 in north Philadelphia and it will likely be months before it is repaired.

PennDOT and the Feds are working on creating effective detours, but there really aren't great options. Right now AMTRAK is looking like the best choice for those traveling between NYC-Philly- DC and points beyond (unless you like really long "scenic" detours). NJTransit and SEPTA are also adding trains on some routes.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is going to be a mess for people. Definitely avoid if you can.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
As luck would have it, I need to drive from Old Town to EWR next Wednesday. Will keep an eye out for the best way to the Turnpike.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As luck would have it, I need to drive from Old Town to EWR next Wednesday. Will keep an eye out for the best way to the Turnpike.
Old Town? Not sure what you mean, but if you're approaching EWR from the south, be aware NJ has also had multiple wildfires in recent weeks which have also re-routed traffic.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:47 am

Sorry; Old City Philadelphia. Thanks for the tip about the wildfires.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Sorry; Old City Philadelphia. Thanks for the tip about the wildfires.
Unless you absolutely have to have a car at EWR, either Amtrak or NJ Transit would save you much time. Both stop at the EWR station, and from there AirTrain takes you around the airport.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:29 am

I’m doing a road trip with family to Cape May and then Philadelphia.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Easy to avoid that part of I-95. I used to live in Philadelphia for a couple of years and drove up to Manhattan to visit friends. Not once did I ever go on that stretch. There's always the Benjamin Franklin and Walt Whitman bridges which, IIRC lead you right over I-95.

I always thought it unusual to pretty much have 3 /limited controlled-access highways (I-95, I-295 + NJT) running so close in parallel. I-476 was just being built when I was there. Cyclists used to ride it pre-opening.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Easy to avoid that part of I-95. I used to live in Philadelphia for a couple of years and drove up to Manhattan to visit friends. Not once did I ever go on that stretch. There's always the Benjamin Franklin and Walt Whitman bridges which, IIRC lead you right over I-95.

I always thought it unusual to pretty much have 3 /limited controlled-access highways (I-95, I-295 + NJT) running so close in parallel. I-476 was just being built when I was there. Cyclists used to ride it pre-opening.
Not going to be quite so easy when an additional 160,000 vehicles per day are taking the same detour.

Duplicate roads were built to handle the volume of traffic through the region. Also, Road Repair Season is in full swing, so there were significant construction delays on major roads already before the tanker fire.
wrp96 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In case you've missed the news, a gasoline tanker fire yesterday brought down a chunk of Interstate 95 in north Philadelphia and it will likely be months before it is repaired.

PennDOT and the Feds are working on creating effective detours, but there really aren't great options. Right now AMTRAK is looking like the best choice for those traveling between NYC-Philly- DC and points beyond (unless you like really long "scenic" detours). NJTransit and SEPTA are also adding trains on some routes.
when I heard this I recalled a tire fire occuring in that area of 95 in Philly.

https://6abc.com/interstate-95-colla...illy/13369393/

stunned it was that long ago. Thought it was only 10 p-15 years ago.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Not going to be quite so easy when an additional 160,000 vehicles per day are taking the same detour.

Duplicate roads were built to handle the volume of traffic through the region. Also, Road Repair Season is in full swing, so there were significant construction delays on major roads already before the tanker fire.

I disagree…..

long haul trucks or long distance cars passing thru can use jersey pike to Wilmington or 81 to Harrisburg to bypass. Therr are a few other options like 476 from Scranton then cut over to 322 and head south to Wilmington

locally it will be difficult with folks using alternatives.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Duplicate roads were built to handle the volume of traffic through the region.
I assume you left out the word “not” in above sentence, and that you really meant to say that duplicate roads were not built to handle the volume of traffic through the region.

The traffic on “duplicate roads” was bad enough before this overpass meltdown, and rerouting traffic onto detours will just make traffic more miserable for more people this summer.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I assume you left out the word “not” in above sentence, and that you really meant to say that duplicate roads were not built to handle the volume of traffic through the region.

The traffic on “duplicate roads” was bad enough before this overpass meltdown, and rerouting traffic onto detours will just make traffic more miserable for more people this summer.
At the time the roads were built they were more than sufficient to handle to handle the volume of traffic, so your assumption is wrong, and frankly, it's also rather rude.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Then I made a mistake in understanding what your original statement was meant to say — that too all in an effort to try to support your point.

And following from accepting the correction of the mistaken assumption, then I’ll say these “duplicate roads” have been repeatedly built without always being more than sufficient to handle the volume of traffic. That or we have different definitions of “sufficient”.

Frankly, the threat title itself needs correction. And not only as vulgarities — abbreviated or otherwise masked — are still prohibited on FT.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 14, 2023 at 2:07 pm
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

Damaged portion of I-95 in Philadelphia will reopen this weekend, ahead of schedule, governor says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/us/i95-philadelphia-reopens-weekend/index.html
“We have made tremendous progress over just the last few days,” the governor said in a Tuesday news conference.

“I can confidently state right here, right now, that traffic will be flowing here on I-95 this weekend … We have completed every phase of this project safely and way ahead of schedule.”
This rivals the post-LA quake reconstruction of I-10. Who knew recycled glass could be so useful?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.