DCA perimeter exemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA perimeter exemptions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
DCA perimeter exemptions

I often see posts like, "I want my airline to fly from DCA to XYZ", where XYZ is beyond 1,250 miles from DCA. Some folks are not aware of the Perimeter Rule which limits how far scheduled flights are able to operate into and out of DCA. The current limitation evolved since National opened in 1941 leading to the 1,250 mile restriction we have today. In 2000, Congress made the first of several exemptions for DCA flights to operate beyond the perimeter, which they expanded in 2003 and 2012. This literally takes an act of Congress and we have 40 slot exemptions today. They authorize the DOT to choose the airlines and destinations (2 slots in each direction). The only exception to this was part of the 2012 authorizations, when Congress authorized the "big 4" at DCA (AA, US, DL, UA) to reallocate one slot pair each from a within-perimeter destination to one outside of the perimeter at their discretion, i.e. they could pick any destination..

I went back and researched the initial exemptions (operators and destinations) to where the slots have evolved currently, represented in the table below.

Hopefully you guys find this helpful (or at least interesting)

plas, Zorak, cmn.jcs and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Sorry for the title misspell. Can't be edited. I never could spell perimeter.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Thanks for compiling this. It's interesting to see the full list.
flyer703 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Another thanks for the compilation. Slight quibble: Virgin America was VX, Virgin Atlantic is VS.
gaobest likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Slight quibble: Virgin America was VX, Virgin Atlantic is VS.
Of course you are correct - sorry about that - thanks for the correction!
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Another thanks for the compilation. Slight quibble: Virgin America was VX, Virgin Atlantic is VS.
Originally Posted by flyer703
Of course you are correct - sorry about that - thanks for the correction!
I’m flying dca / Sfo with AS (who bought VX).

please someone confirm that dca has tsa pre lol
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gaobest
I’m flying dca / Sfo with AS (who bought VX).

please someone confirm that dca has tsa pre lol
Yes: https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/map
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:26 pm

There has been a recent push to add more beyond-perimeter slots at DCA. https://about.bgov.com/news/adding-l...cal-opponents/
Will these additional slots get approved? If so, which destinations?

If 10 additional beyond perimeter slot pairs were approved, I would see the following:
WN: 1x DEN, 1x LAS, 1x PHX
AA: 1x AUS, 1x SAT
DL: 1x SEA, 1x LAX
B6: 1x AUA
UA: 1x DEN
AS: 1x SAN

Last edited by bradleyl12; Apr 28, 2023 at 4:36 pm
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bradleyl12
There has been a recent push to add more beyond-perimeter slots at DCA. https://about.bgov.com/news/adding-l...cal-opponents/
Just get rid of the damn thing already. It's long outlived its need.

Also, just so you're aware - you need a slot in each direction, so your proposal would require 20 slot exceptions - with all destinations approved by the DoT. So silly...
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

If 10 additional beyond perimeter slot pairs were approved, I would see the following:
Okay just to play the game...

I think there would be a lot of interest in SNA, especially with 4x already to LAX. AS has a lot of activity there and seems like a logical choice.
Would love to see SAN come back. AA might be a more logical choice?
DL would really like to restore 2x SLC. I would see that rather than another LAX.
Totally agree on another 1X for UA to DEN; loads on their one flight have been really high. I could see how an am arrival/departure would be of interest.

Isn't the Perimeter Game fun, boys and girls!!!
bradleyl12 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyer703
Okay just to play the game...

I think there would be a lot of interest in SNA, especially with 4x already to LAX. AS has a lot of activity there and seems like a logical choice.
Would love to see SAN come back. AA might be a more logical choice?
DL would really like to restore 2x SLC. I would see that rather than another LAX.
Totally agree on another 1X for UA to DEN; loads on their one flight have been really high. I could see how an am arrival/departure would be of interest.

Isn't the Perimeter Game fun, boys and girls!!!
Oh SNA would be interesting for sure! I could see AA doing SAN and WN doing SAT too. Was trying to spread out the slots as much as possible (as that's what I'd expect the DOT to do).
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:49 pm

Here is the full link to the study: https://capitalaccessalliance.com/wp...e-Analysis.pdf

I gather that they suggest 20-25 additional slot pairs (with some outside the perimeter). While I support additional (10 slot pairs) of beyond-parameter flying, I think that should be the cap as it already gets very busy during AA banks.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Here is the full link to the study: https://capitalaccessalliance.com/wp...e-Analysis.pdf

I gather that they suggest 20-25 additional slot pairs (with some outside the perimeter). While I support additional (10 slot pairs) of beyond-parameter flying, I think that should be the cap as it already gets very busy during AA banks.
Thanks for the link. Interesting that the report starts with: "The Reagan National (DCA) perimeter rule is no longer necessary to support its original objectives. It is, in fact, harmful to the communities and consumers served by the Washington, D.C., airports."
But it doesn't call for the repeal of the perimeter rule but rather round 4 of the slot game, adding "~20 to 25 additional daily in- and beyond-perimeter slot pairs" [40 to 50 new slots].
I'd rather just see them eliminate the rule. I agree that DCA seems pretty congested now and not sure it could handle ~50 additional operations per day.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
DC lawmakers chiming in.

https://wtop.com/local/2023/05/dc-ar...agan-national/
Old May 25, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Id bet a pretty penny that AA would want SAN as well. Its a big O/D market for DCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.