Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at Dulles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Parking at Dulles

I am now doing a lot of flying out of Dulles (IAD). Have always ubered there but I have never parked there. I went online and saw that I could reserve in advance a particular lot but for this upcoming weekend only economy was available to reserve. One of my employees tells me he never reserves in advance and always gets a spot in the closest garage. My questions to you are:
  • Are reservations really necessary for the garages or terminal lot?
  • How long does it take to get from the economy lot to the terminal?

Last edited by mander; Apr 12, 2022 at 5:13 am
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
A lot of great info starting with this page flydulles.com - Parking Information and timing is estimated in the detailed FAQ: flydulles.com - Parking Frequently Asked Questions

It's a very busy travel weekend but you might get lucky with a drive up open space in a garage (so maybe reserve economy and try your luck with the garages?).

The frequency of Economy Lot shuttles has been increased from 10-15 minutes to 7-10 minutes with about 10-15 minutes of actual travel time - I would build 25 minutes in to your schedule so there are no surprises and low stress.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:09 am

So Garage 2 seems to be 100% full for the last 6 months at least - is it just so busy or are they blocking space for works?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by zig666
So Garage 2 seems to be 100% full for the last 6 months at least - is it just so busy or are they blocking space for works?
I havent been out there for quite a while so I dont know if there is construction in that lot limiting parking. However, travel is way up in the DC Metro region and garage 2 has always been the most popular lot (especially considering valet parking is still suspended) so I think it not surprising it is consistently full.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:58 am

I prefer Garage 1 and usually just go there, but it just appears odd that there is never any open space.
I'm honestly surprised that Garage 2 is more popular - they way is not (significantly) shorter and i prefer the tunnel over the weird covered walkway any day.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:15 am

I recently used the parking lot at the terminal and while by no means empty, there was a decent number of available spots. Remember even if there's only 20 free spaces, that's 19 more than you need.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:15 pm

You do save a little bit if you reserve your parking in advance. Garage parking drops to $15/day and economy is $10/day. Recently parked in economy for a 4 day trip and I highly recommend it. Build in some time for the shuttle bus though. The price of parking though was decently cheaper than just one Uber from the district.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by zig666
I prefer Garage 1 and usually just go there, but it just appears odd that there is never any open space.
I'm honestly surprised that Garage 2 is more popular - they way is not (significantly) shorter and i prefer the tunnel over the weird covered walkway any day.
I suspect garage 2 is more popular solely because it’s the first one you pass when driving through the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.