Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Covid Testing for International travelers coming to Washington DC- free tests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Going to be staying in Washington DC over long Easter weekend.
Will be coming from Canada.
Return to Canada requires either a molecular test within 72 hours of departure or (effective tomorrow) rapid antigen test within 1 day of departure.

In my past visits to USA, I have used the Walgreens drive in rapid id molecular test- easy to book; results within a few hours.

If I come to Washington DC this time, are there options for free or economic non-drive in (if I do not rent a car) covid tests in Washington DC or surrounding (in VA or MD) suburbs.

If I do rent a car, what are the best options- Walgreens in DC or surrounding suburbs- or other pharmacies - eg CVS?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Going to be staying in Washington DC over long Easter weekend.
Will be coming from Canada.
Return to Canada requires either a molecular test within 72 hours of departure or (effective tomorrow) rapid antigen test within 1 day of departure.

In my past visits to USA, I have used the Walgreens drive in rapid id molecular test- easy to book; results within a few hours.

If I come to Washington DC this time, are there options for free or economic non-drive in (if I do not rent a car) covid tests in Washington DC or surrounding (in VA or MD) suburbs.

If I do rent a car, what are the best options- Walgreens in DC or surrounding suburbs- or other pharmacies - eg CVS?
If you are staying in the city, most test options are walk-in; no need to drive.

Walgreens has a very limited footprint here. CVS is the dominant chain pharmacy by far. Any CVS that advertises having a "MinuteClinic" can do tests, though they will probably require upfront payment if you don't have US health insurance. There are other popup clinics doing tests as well but they change rapidly so what's open today may not be by the time of your trip.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Off the top if my head I don’t know where walkik in locations that are say temporarystructires are located.

Walgreens actually has a larger presence than the poster above ststes.

a couple years ago Walgreens took over many Rite Aid pharmacies when they pulled out of the DC area. CVS moved into the target locations that had a pharmacy.

the issue is more of where are pharmacies that are nice to get to via metro where you don’t need a car…..

I don’t know which pharmacies will be able to do the specific tests.

walgreen locations are at that I’m familiar with going to off the top of my head…

union station inside the train station mall
pentagon city station. From exit you walk thru mall thrnthen garage up the stairs and go to the left.
Walgreens and CVS are almost across the street from each other around 23rd an M NW which is half way between foggy bottom and DuPont circle metro stations.
walgreens and cvs are a block apart in old town Alexandria from king street metro and free king st trolley to the far end near the river.

near McPherson metro there is a CVS.
therr is a cvs at the current end of silver line at where- Reston station where you exit metro, over highway brifpdge to the parking garage area where there is the escalator down to the shuttle bus for Dulles pick up/ drop off point. The cvs is on the outside walkway Between the bridge entry/ exit and escalators.

there is a target along green line just north of the Convention center metro stop near the metro exit. I don’t recall if it has a CVS inside.

safeway supermarket pharmacies I think is another option. There is a Safeway right outside the waterfront metro station. Waterfront is on the green line just south of lenfant.

outside Roslyn station up the hill there is a small target and across the street is a small safeway. I don’t know if they have pharmacies and if they have the proper tests.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by djp98374
Walgreens actually has a larger presence than the poster above ststes.

a couple years ago Walgreens took over many Rite Aid pharmacies when they pulled out of the DC area. CVS moved into the target locations that had a pharmacy.

the issue is more of where are pharmacies that are nice to get to via metro where you don’t need a car…..

I don’t know which pharmacies will be able to do the specific tests.

walgreen locations are at that I’m familiar with going to off the top of my head…

union station inside the train station mall

pentagon city station. From exit you walk thru mall thrnthen garage up the stairs and go to the left.
Walgreens and CVS are almost across the street from each other around 23rd an M NW which is half way between foggy bottom and DuPont circle metro stations.
walgreens and cvs are a block apart in old town Alexandria from king street metro and free king st trolley to the far end near the river.
Major detail that is relevant to OP's question: the format of some Walgreen's in the District is just a large retail store with no pharmacy. That includes Union Station. I don't recall about 23rd/M NW but definitely the OP should call in advance to confirm.

So even though they do have quite a few city locations on the map, some of them don't offer the testing that the OP needs.

Last edited by silverthief2; Mar 1, 2022 at 11:02 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
you should check with your airline - most of them have webpages devoted to obtaining testing acceptable for their requirements.

The following websites will help; if you will be in the close-in Northern Virginia suburbs:
Fairfax County Coronavirus (COVID-19) Testing | Health (fairfaxcounty.gov)
Arlington County COVID-19 Testing – Official Website of Arlington County Virginia Government (arlingtonva.us)
City of Alexandria: COVID-19: Get Tested | City of Alexandria, VA (alexandriava.gov)

If in suburban Maryland:
Montgomery County: Testing - COVID-19 Information Portal - Montgomery County, Maryland (montgomerycountymd.gov)
Prince George's County: COVID-19 Testing | Prince George's County, MD (princegeorgescountymd.gov)

and, of course, since you will probably be in the City proper: District of Columbia COVID-19 Testing Sites | coronavirus (dc.gov)

also: IAD - Dulles Airport: flydulles.com - Health & Safety as We Take Flight
Raygun, er, DCA - National Airport: flyreagan.com - Health & Safety as We Take Flight
BWI: COVID-19 Updates From BWI Marshall Airport | BWI Airport but you have scroll down to find the link to "First Call Medical" just before the Nov 2021 "Update"
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:57 pm

Maybe somewhat of a moot data point for Canadians, given the April 1 removal of required testing, but I had my Rapid Antigen test done at a CVS MinuteClinic. There was no fee, but an appointment was required. This was a walk-in, not a drive thru for those without a car. Not all the clinics are performing Antigen test, so make sure beforehand. I couldn't get an appointment online at the CVS branch I wanted, so I dropped by and did it in person. I'll be so glad when testing requirements go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.