Search

Transfer time at IAD, domestic to international

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Transfer time at IAD, domestic to international

Is 1 hour, 20 minutes enough time to physically transfer from an incomingUnited Express to Aer Lingus on a weekend late afternoon? I'm concerned about the time it takes to leave the UA Express arrival gate and reach the Aer Lingus departure gate.

It will all be on one ticket with checked baggage. Incoming domestic flight scheduled to arrive at 3:58 and the departing EI flight departs at 5:20 on a Saturday or Sunday

Last edited by Larrude; Jan 8, 2020 at 10:04 pm Reason: to clarify question
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:54 pm

There is nothing special for international departures from the US.
If you are wondering about delays and whether or not that is enough of a buffer, you should give more info about your incoming flight and other FTers can help answer that question
Larrude likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larrude
Is 1 hour, 20 minutes enough time to transfer from United Express to Aer Lingus on a weekend late afternoon?
More important questions are will you have checked bags and are both flights on 1 ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

If it's on one ticket then you will have 1 hour to walk from terminal A to the end of terminal B. Same building, no need to take bus or train. Probably 10-15 minutes slow walk.

Small edit: If you will fly on CRJ-200/700 or ERJ-145 then you will arrive at terminal A and then walk to B.
If you arrive on EMB-175 then you will arrive in terminal D and you will have to take a bus to connect to terminal A.
Either way. You will have plenty of time.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by bwiadca

Small edit: If you will fly on CRJ-200/700 or ERJ-145 then you will arrive at terminal A and then walk to B.
If you arrive on EMB-175 then you will arrive in terminal D and you will have to take a bus to connect to terminal A.
for clarity it isnt a bus you might think.

Its a wide and long shuttle van with seats on the side and holding bars in the middle similar to trams. you get on at the terminal (not on tarmac) then drive to other terminal then let out in the terminal on terminal level.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, its called People Mover And they look like this:

On this picture you see besides BA A380 People Movers - If you arrive from terminal D (on the left upper corner) you will end up by BA gate. From there you will walk to the end of terminal B (pictured) where you will walk past Delta MD-88 at the gate. That's where Aer Lingus parks.

Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole difference between domestic and international is the gate time for departures. For EI it is T-30. This gives you 35 minutes to make it from brakes locked on the inbound UA aircraft to the EI gate. Even if you arrive at as distant a gate as is possible on the C or D concourse, you can still make this connection, but do not dawdle along the way. You also won't be offloaded by EI prior to the flight closing unless the flight is oversold.

Nonetheless, I consider this to be a tight connection as it is largely dependent on on time performance. While you will be rebooked if you misconnect, the reroute may be quite inconvenient. Depending on what the earlier UA departure is, I would consider that even if it creates a longer than absolutely necessary connection.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
My options appear to be either 1 hr 22 minutes or 10 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Larrude
My options appear to be either 1 hr 22 minutes or 10 hours.
If UA delivers you to IAD too late for the EI flight, I would think they would put you on their flight to DUB which is later in the evening.
Larrude likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

1:20hr is a tight connection at IAD? I don't think so.
But it looks like your home town airport is ROC. I was on this flight last month (my last flight of the year).
UA6272 ROC - IAD. We've departed few minutes late but arrived early. Air time was 48 minutes. It was on EMB-175 and I have deplaned in terminal D.
I still had plenty of time to send off my niece who was flying to MUC at 5:30pm from gate C8.
Don't worry. Almost 1.5 hour at IAD for connection is plenty.
If you miss this flight for some reason UA will rebook you on their 10pm flight.
Larrude likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:19 pm

What is a safe amount of time to leave for a transfer at IAD airport if I'm arriving from DOH on QR and looking to fly AC to yyz?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by cyog
What is a safe amount of time to leave for a transfer at IAD airport if I'm arriving from DOH on QR and looking to fly AC to yyz?
I would allow no less than 4 hours.

You will have to clear immigration and customs on arrival then check-in, then go through security then get to your gate for the connecting flight. Immigration and customs times at IAD is frequently atrocious due to habitual (purposeful?) understaffing during rush hour.

If you are arriving during the morning rather than the afternoon rush, 4 hours ought to be enough but I would still build in more time.
cyog likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
I would allow no less than 4 hours.

You will have to clear immigration and customs on arrival then check-in, then go through security then get to your gate for the connecting flight. Immigration and customs times at IAD is frequently atrocious due to habitual (purposeful?) understaffing during rush hour.

If you are arriving during the morning rather than the afternoon rush, 4 hours ought to be enough but I would still build in more time.
I don’t necessarily agree. There is more info required.

1 early QR DOH arrival or late one?
2 US citizen or not? If yes, global entry? TSA pre or Clear?
3 front of plane or back?
4 checked bag? How many and how fast moving?
5 how critical is the trip, if you miss the AC flight what bad things happen

Air Canada departs from the Z gates which are the closest possible gates to depart from after clearing customs and then security.

If the answers are 1 Late 2 non-us 3 back 4 checked bag then yeah you need 4 hours to be safe. If you get in early and have ways to move through the process quickly (including walking quickly) and no checked bag, then 2 hours is fine.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
I don’t necessarily agree. There is more info required.

1 early QR DOH arrival or late one?
2 US citizen or not? If yes, global entry? TSA pre or Clear?
3 front of plane or back?
4 checked bag? How many and how fast moving?
5 how critical is the trip, if you miss the AC flight what bad things happen

Air Canada departs from the Z gates which are the closest possible gates to depart from after clearing customs and then security.

If the answers are 1 Late 2 non-us 3 back 4 checked bag then yeah you need 4 hours to be safe. If you get in early and have ways to move through the process quickly (including walking quickly) and no checked bag, then 2 hours is fine.
1. 9am arrival
2. CAD citizen with nexus
3. front of plane
4 yes checked bags, will be with infant so definitely not that fast moving.
5. not critical, would just catch the next one.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by cyog
1. 9am arrival
2. CAD citizen with nexus
3. front of plane
4 yes checked bags, will be with infant so definitely not that fast moving.
5. not critical, would just catch the next one.
Related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34092385-post1192.html

I assume you're on separate tickets and therefore have to get to the AC ticket counters. Sometimes IAD baggage is surprisingly fast, but often you're stuck waiting 30+ mins after getting through Global Entry.

With the infant, you will have to navigate: down a level from the mobile lounge bus to customs/immigration, up a level to check baggage with AC, down a level to go through security (unless Nexus qualifies for TSA Pre, this is not something I'm familiar with), up a level to get to the gate. If you are eligible to use Pre you still have to go down a 1/2 level to the gate.

The good news is the AC gates are the most convenient at the airport and the airport is much less busy that time of day.

I'd assume 2:30 total connection minimum to ensure you meet the bag check cut off with AC.
cyog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.