Search

United States of America plane at BWI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
United States of America plane at BWI

Hi-

Does anyone know the story on the United States of America plane that sits at BWI? It is parked out past the Daily Garage and cargo area. Its a smaller plane (didn't catch specific type since I was driving) but has been parked there for a while. Its got the traditional blue and white livery of government planes. Is this an active plane used for certain travel in/out of BWI, or is it a historical plane that is parked there as its final resting place? I've googled it a couple times as well as searched on here and can't come up with any info about it.

Just curious.

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I fly in and out of there weekly but never noticed it. I'll be on the lookout for it tomorrow. I have no idea now but maybe if I see it that will spark something.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Yep. She's a retired VC-9A (DC-9-32). Military registration was 10876, and she became N10876. According to the FAA she belongs to an outfit called Waterworld Jet Aviation. No idea who the outfit is or what their plans are for her.

Last movement on flightaware was from Andrews on May 16 2017.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

Here she was a couple of weeks ago.
Marko123 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Yep. She's a retired VC-9A (DC-9-32). Military registration was 10876, and she became N10876. According to the FAA she belongs to an outfit called Waterworld Jet Aviation. No idea who the outfit is or what their plans are for her.

Last movement on flightaware was from Andrews on May 16 2017.
Fascinating, but I would think they would take USA livery off when they decommissioned the plane @:-)
Old May 9, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Fascinating, but I would think they would take USA livery off when they decommissioned the plane @:-)
Yeah I would have expected the titles to come off at least.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Alpha Golf-

Thank you, yes, that is the one. Nice pic.

That too, surprises me that the plane has not been scrubbed of its official livery. I had wondered if this was a historically significant plane that would find its way to a museum or something. But if it was used that recently, guess its not. Curious that it has been sitting there for a year.

Appreciate the info, I guess it will remain a mystery until one day when it moves on again.....

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Is it one of these? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...block/2159987/
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:53 pm

This aircraft left BWI today and went to Shreveport and now just filed a flight plan to Saltillo, Mexico. You can follow it here on flight aware.

Source tell me it will be converted to a freighter.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by mbrown009
This aircraft left BWI today and went to Shreveport and now just filed a flight plan to Saltillo, Mexico. You can follow it here on flight aware.

wow, your first post is on a 2 year old rather obscure thread....how long have you been "lurking" on FT? or do/did you have another handle?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Section 107
wow, your first post is on a 2 year old rather obscure thread....how long have you been "lurking" on FT? or do/did you have another handle?
But what a good and informative way to start a posting career (hopefully OP didn't just come here to tell us about the flight).

Would be interesting to know how/if conversion continues

At least this inquiring mind wants to know, especially in these slow FT days

Notice I didn't say slow news days
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mbrown009

mbrown009 : Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Too bad that an operational historical passenger jet will be converted to a freighter. But better than simply being destroyed as scrap.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.