Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Best places to see Philadelphia skyline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Besides the museum steps made famous by Rocky, what are some cool spots to view the city skyline? It can be rooftop bars, hotels, etc. Anywhere with an awesome view
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
In a photograph.....
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GfL
Camden, NJ. There is a riverfront park in Camden that's fine to visit during the day--near the aquarium gives you a nice view. You can take the PATCO train or the RiverLink ferry across from Philly.

Alternately you can stand in Schuylkill River Park on the west side of Center City, or across the street from 30th St. Station on the west side of the Schuylkill River. You probably won't be able to see a complete skyline from there but you get a reasonable view. In fact the upper decks of the Amtrak parking garage next to the Cira Center are probably a good viewpoint for a photo.
LPCJr likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Camden, NJ. There is a riverfront park in Camden that's fine to visit during the day--near the aquarium gives you a nice view. You can take the PATCO train or the RiverLink ferry across from Philly.
Camden's waterfront also features the USS New Jersey. In addition to being a gigantic machine--which by itself should be enough to interest the average FTer--this battleship offers a great view of Philly's skyline that becomes even more interesting when seen through one of the sights for her 16-inch guns.

(At least, the New Jersey provided that perspective when I visited some 10 years ago. I sure hope that's still the case.)
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Camden's waterfront also features the USS New Jersey. In addition to being a gigantic machine--which by itself should be enough to interest the average FTer--this battleship offers a great view of Philly's skyline that becomes even more interesting when seen through one of the sights for her 16-inch guns.

(At least, the New Jersey provided that perspective when I visited some 10 years ago. I sure hope that's still the case.)
Tickets for the USS New Jersey are $21.95/adult, for the "Fire Power Tour."
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fay637
Besides the museum steps made famous by Rocky, what are some cool spots to view the city skyline? It can be rooftop bars, hotels, etc. Anywhere with an awesome view
From an airplane taking off out of PHL heading north along the river.

David
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I'd say across the Schuylkill River opposite Boathouse Row. You get the back end of the Art Museum plus the skyline. The skyline is expanding rapidly to both sides of the river at this point.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Alternately you can stand in Schuylkill River Park on the west side of Center City, or across the street from 30th St. Station on the west side of the Schuylkill River. You probably won't be able to see a complete skyline from there but you get a reasonable view. In fact the upper decks of the Amtrak parking garage next to the Cira Center are probably a good viewpoint for a photo.
I'd guess that there must be some high floor rooms in the University City Sheraton that face Center Citer and would have a good view, higher than 30th Street Station but the same idea.

Going south on Broad Street and looking back (north) toward City Hall gives the views seen on TV coverage of the Mummers' Parade. I'd start at about Spruce and maybe go back as far as South Street.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I'll give you three places I like:

1) Driving West on I-76 from mile 346 (just before South St.)
2) Driving North on I-95 from the airport. Bonus: Stadium Complex.
3) The top of the A and E/F parking garages at PHL.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Just saw this thread....the best place is from the Spring Garden St. Bridge over the Schuylkill Expressway near the Art Museum.
b1513 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I'm fond of the observation deck at City Hall. It's small and time limited, but it's fun.

2 Articles with suggestions

Free

Admission or need to buy Food / Drink
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:04 am

These are all fine suggestions but let me add a few.

First one is the Belmont Plateau: drive up Montgomery Drive to where the Underground Railroad Museum is. At the top there, overlooking the ball fields is a GREAT nighttime view of the skyline.

Another great view is from Citizens Bank Park. Upper Deck, looking out over home plate, past the swinging liberty bell, and then up broad street towards downtown. Great view.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:36 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
From within the city - go to the top floor of the Loews.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
of course, the new Philly From the Top Observation Deck at the top of One Liberty Place provides an awesome view
https://phillyfromthetop.com
Old May 1, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended

This needs to be highlighted for those who's not familiar with Camden. Don't go to Camden at night period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.