Search

IAD - Transfer B to C

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aerclub, United
IAD - Transfer B to C

Hi,

A question about transferring around Dulles concourses.

I will be transferring from Aer Lingus coming into concourse B to United in Concourse C - have about 1 hour 35 mins to do it. So the question is - how should i do it - the Air Train or the old mobile people mover things. Can i actually take the Air train direct from B to C without having to change train, and do i have to do security again ?

It seems very difficult to find out this information

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:58 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Hi,

since you have not provided complete details, I am assuming that you are using DHS pre-clearance facilities fin Ireland so you do not have to clear customs/immigration in IAD.

if that is the case, yes you can travel from B to C within the time frame you have mentioned. The train takes 15-20 minutes from B to C and five minutes to walk to the gates. You do not have to change trains or clear security again.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Great - thanks for the response. And apologies for not stating that Yes i will use pre-clearance in Dublin.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a map of the AeroTrain route at the link below. It is one continuous route from B-C and then back. Should take 6 minutes once you board the train at B. The walk from the C stop to your UA gate will be a long one because the station is located where the C concourse is likely to be located at some time in the future. Also note that UA operates out of the C and D concourses (the same long corridor) and flights may be shifted between the two. The fact that your onward flight operated out of C today does not mean that it will do so tomorrow. Allow a good 15 minutes from the C station just in case.

http://www.flydulles.com/iad/aerotra...tional-airport
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses !
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
It looks like EI uses gate B79, at the westernmost end of the B concourse. Expect a five-minute walk to the Aerotrain stop, from which you take it in what seems like the wrong direction--back to the main terminal. Stay on the train as it takes you to the A gates, then get off at the C gates. If you get in early and have UA gold or higher status, you can pop into the Lufthansa lounge in B, just east of the escalators down to the Aerotrain. If your UA flight changes to the D gates, take the Aerotrain to the main terminal, get off there and take a mobile lounge to D.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCA writer
It looks like EI uses gate B79, at the westernmost end of the B concourse. Expect a five-minute walk to the Aerotrain stop, from which you take it in what seems like the wrong direction--back to the main terminal. Stay on the train as it takes you to the A gates, then get off at the C gates. If you get in early and have UA gold or higher status, you can pop into the Lufthansa lounge in B, just east of the escalators down to the Aerotrain. If your UA flight changes to the D gates, take the Aerotrain to the main terminal, get off there and take a mobile lounge to D.

THIS^^^

Don't be afraid to go backwards to end up on the correct side of the C/D concourse. The train and tram pick up and drop off on opposite sides and going back to the main to hop from on to the other is a solid plan. IAD gates "look" close together on paper but it is a long ... walk in reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.