Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Albany, NY - Transport, hotels and places worth visiting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO Green

Hi,

I am planning a short visit to NYC and Albany next month. Would be grateful to hear your thoughts on the following:

Transport from NYC to Albany

It seems that most people either take the Amtrak or Megabus.

The Megabus is cheaper (around $10-20 compared to $88 one way), though I am concerned about its punctuality and reliability.

How reliable are they? Is this route prone to traffic delays?

Hotels in Albany

I am planning to stay at the Morgan State House Inn. It's within walking distance of my meeting venue (Alfred E. Smith Building), and the reviews are mostly positive.

Have any of you stayed at this place before? Or are there other places you would recommend?

Places worth visiting

I'd be interested to hear suggestions on things to do/see in Albany or nearby towns (e.g. farms, natural scenery, outlets).

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:03 am

What day are you traveling? The base Amtrak fare between NYP and ALB is $44 one way, and I'm mostly seeing that available throughout November (though of course if you're looking at Thanksgiving week, things get pricier).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ambyr
What day are you traveling? The base Amtrak fare between NYP and ALB is $44 one way, and I'm mostly seeing that available throughout November (though of course if you're looking at Thanksgiving week, things get pricier).
Ah... my bad. Didn't realize that the fare displayed was for 2 persons. I now see the $44 fare for my dates (Nov 15-16).

Btw, is it possible to switch to an earlier/later train after buying a train ticket? Do I have to do it at a ticket office, or can I just show up for the earlier/later train?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GfL
No, you can’t just show up for a different train; all trains are all-reserved. It’s easy to change reservations via Amtrak’s website or app.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by diocesanvictor
Hi,

I am planning a short visit to NYC and Albany next month. Would be grateful to hear your thoughts on the following:

Transport from NYC to Albany

It seems that most people either take the Amtrak or Megabus.

The Megabus is cheaper (around $10-20 compared to $88 one way), though I am concerned about its punctuality and reliability.

How reliable are they? Is this route prone to traffic delays?

Hotels in Albany

I am planning to stay at the Morgan State House Inn. It's within walking distance of my meeting venue (Alfred E. Smith Building), and the reviews are mostly positive.

Have any of you stayed at this place before? Or are there other places you would recommend?

Places worth visiting

I'd be interested to hear suggestions on things to do/see in Albany or nearby towns (e.g. farms, natural scenery, outlets).

Thanks in advance!
Megabus is fairly reliable, once you get out of NYC. If you take Amtrak, the train station is across the Hudson, so you're on your own to get into Albany proper (CDTA bus, or Uber, cab, etc.).

If you're after the small waterfront town vibe, Historic Troy (~20min north by car) will get you that. Peck's Arcade (classic American) and Shalimar (Pakistani) are good eats in town. Drive over to Latham and hit up Sushi X if you want AYCE sushi, or Ala Shanghai for Chinese food.

Not to be a downer, but Albany itself is basically a truck stop as far as I'm concerned. Others may have a different opinion. YMMV.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Not to be a downer, but Albany itself is basically a truck stop as far as I'm concerned. Others may have a different opinion. YMMV.
Sadly, I have the same opinion, which is why I felt unable to answer any of the OP's questions about things to do there

The old section of downtown Troy has historic and architectural interest, about 2-3 hours' worth. There are quite a few good bars there, too.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The OP can bring the Amtrak one-way fare down to $37.40 by utilizing the 15% discount offered here:

https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak...ave-15-percent

Note that a five-day advance purchase is required for this discount.
​​​​​
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"If you take Amtrak, the train station is across the Hudson, so you're on your own to get into Albany proper (CDTA bus, or Uber, cab, etc.)."

The Megabus "Albany" bus stop is also at the Amtrak train station in Rensselaer. But Megabus also serves the SUNY Albany campus.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the above suggestions. Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.