Uber ride from NJ Turnpike to Atlantic City

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Uber ride from NJ Turnpike to Atlantic City

Several weeks ago I was riding from PATH Bus Terminal to Atlantic City on Greyhound. Near exit 14* on NJ Tpke the bus "died". 4 passengers called for an Uber, which arrived in less than 15 minutes; it took 1 hour for a substitute GH bus to arrive.
I assume those 4 pax set up some "negotiated" rate with Uber driver to get them to AC(?)
*This was mid-day, light traffic, exit 14 is about 20 minutes from PATH Bus Terminal on 8th Ave.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by nrr
Several weeks ago I was riding from PATH Bus Terminal to Atlantic City on Greyhound. Near exit 14* on NJ Tpke the bus "died". 4 passengers called for an Uber, which arrived in less than 15 minutes; it took 1 hour for a substitute GH bus to arrive.
I assume those 4 pax set up some "negotiated" rate with Uber driver to get them to AC(?)
*This was mid-day, light traffic, exit 14 is about 20 minutes from PATH Bus Terminal on 8th Ave.
If they put in the right location on the NJ Turnpike, it probably worked fine. I've tried, and you can set the Turnpike as a pickup location. You can easily book an Uber from EWR to Atlantic City (about $114 right now), so don't see why you couldn't book one from near EWR to AC.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This thread technically belongs in the Mid-Atlantic Forum, so over it goes.

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing to negotiate. Because it's charged to a CC, you really can't negotiate.

Uber rates are based on the service (such as Black, Select, X) and the area (NY, Boston, Singapore). It is GPS-based. If you are standing on the NJ Tpk and summon an Uber Black, one will show up and take you to your destination.

You may need to provide the driver with a highly specific destination such as North/South. But, presuming a mile marker and a broken down bus, there shouldn't be too many of those.

Maybe it's uncommon from a bus breakdown, but people use Uber from auto breakdowns with some frequency. Easy & cheap(ish).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The GH bus to AC costs $45 RT/person + you get $25 in free play when you arrive. I got the "feeling" that gambling was NOT that group of four's reason for going to AC. In any event they still had the return portion of their ticket.
But the purpose of my OP was to note the speed with which Uber arrived [and the slowness for the replacement bus come.]
PS: I was sitting close to the front of the bus and overheard his communications with the GH breakdown number: "...call back later"; the driver got through via a different number.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
But the purpose of my OP was to note the speed with which Uber arrived [and the slowness for the replacement bus come.]
Prime example of what financial incentive can accomplish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.