Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Singapore to Washington DC

I may have to go to Washington DC for a business trip in late May. Looking at flight options.

Considering Singapore Airlines and the connection is SIN-LHR-IAD, first leg on SQ and second leg on Virgin Atlantic. However, the layover is almost 5 hours at LHR.

Wonder if the seasoned travellers have any recommendations or preferences.

Thanks for the views.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I assume this is in J class....

Do you want luxury, fastest time? Easiest transfer?

On time, fastest will probably to take one of the Star carriers SIN-NRT (most likely United or ANA) and then NRT-IAD. 22 hours

Cheapest business is probably a combo of carriers (often involving Air Canada) or Etihad. But going west you often add 7 or 10 hours to your flight (with the exception of some screwball routings via DOH).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
If you're in biz, the route you've suggested would be very pleasant. The Virgin Clubhouse at LHR would be a perfect place to while away a few hours.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I'm curious about the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR. I've seen pictures of it and it looks stunning.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I did a bit more checking. Found you can do SIN-DOH-IAD on QR. One segment involves the A350. I'd love to do that one!

One of the QR options involves an 8 hour layover and (IIRC) QR puts you up in their airport hotel which I have heard is quite nice.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I did a bit more checking. Found you can do SIN-DOH-IAD on QR. One segment involves the A350. I'd love to do that one!

One of the QR options involves an 8 hour layover and (IIRC) QR puts you up in their airport hotel which I have heard is quite nice.
Thanks for helping to check!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Quite alot of choices here with 1 stop transit, I'm sure there's more than what I listed here...

NH SIN-NRT-IAD
UA SIN-NRT-IAD
QR SIN-DOH-IAD
KE SIN-ICN-IAD
CA SIN-PEK-IAD
TK SIN-IST-IAD
BA SIN-LHR-IAD
EK SIN-DXB-IAD
EY SIN-AUH-IAD
LH SIN-FRA-IAD
CX/AA SIN-HKG-DFW-DCA

Agreed with IADCAflyer, fastest flights would be NH and UA, they codeshare each other as well. Yep QR also operates the A359 daily on all 3 flights departing SIN, so you can try to choose the one with the shortest transit times (I remember it was about 3 hours transit). KE also likely operates the B77W with the new Prestige Suites on ICN-IAD. It's the same seat as JL's Sky Suite. Unfortunately I've never experienced business class on long haul so can't really recommend anything.

Coincidentally I'm flying to DCA on monday for personal reasons (Family). Booked on the JL sale fare ex-TPE in Y/W. Flying to TPE in CX on sunday and staying over 1 night to catch the next day's flight. Wish me luck... First time to the US after 21 years, hope I don't get lost in JFK and miss my flight... I already applied for the ESTA Visa Waiver.

I'll be there for 2 months so maybe we can meetup for food and drinks...
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Looks like my trip is more or less confirmed.

Likely will fly SIN-LHR-IAD on SQ and then Virgin Atlantic.

I may go a couple of days earlier to check out the place before attending to my business engagement.

Any recommendations on a decent hotel to stay for 2 nights?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2

Any recommendations on a decent hotel to stay for 2 nights?
Where is your business? Would you prefer to stay within the city, or is taking the metro from Virginia an option?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oformula
Where is your business? Would you prefer to stay within the city, or is taking the metro from Virginia an option?
I am attending a conference, so during the conference days I will stay at the designated conference hotel. So no issues of staying elsewhere for the first 2 days, since I assume I can get a taxi or take the metro from the pre-stay hotel to the conference hotel. I think the conference hotel is located near a Metro station, IIRC.

So, I'm open to ideas. In terms of sights, I definitely want to visit the Aviation Museum. I am arriving Friday afternoon and the conference doesn't start till Monday. So I got 2 days and a bit to tour the place.

For hotels, any comments on Washington Plaza Hotel?
http://www.washingtonplazahotel.com/

The location looks very central and the rates are acceptable.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
So, I'm open to ideas. In terms of sights, I definitely want to visit the Aviation Museum.

Yes, that's a good location. No idea what it's like though (though it's two blocks away from me).

Note that the Air and Space Museum has two locations - the National Mall (central) and Dulles Airport (far away).

In general, Metro service is very, very poor on weekends. Not recommended.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Yes, that's a good location. No idea what it's like though (though it's two blocks away from me).

Note that the Air and Space Museum has two locations - the National Mall (central) and Dulles Airport (far away).

In general, Metro service is very, very poor on weekends. Not recommended.
Thanks for the tips. I didn't know the museum was also at the Dulles Airport. I was thinking of the one in the central location.

I figured from the Washington Plaza hotel, I could go by foot to the places I wanted to visit. I can walk long distances, no problems. The temperature looks comfortable.

Any recommended places for an interesting meal? I'm game to try stuff.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:02 pm

http://www.washingtonplazahotel.com/

Thomas Circle is a little off the beaten path of "downtown" Depending on what you're looking for (the Mall) you may want to move further down towards Pennsylvania Avenue which is close walking distance to all the different National Mall attractions, monuments and museums.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:38 pm

If you like walking, the walk from Thomas Circle to the Mall is easy and pleasant--no significant hills, well-lit and well-populated even at night.

14th St. is one of DC's main restaurant districts. Head north from the Washington Plaza and you'll find plenty of food options between N St. and W St. Be prepared for a wait on Friday or Saturday night if you don't have reservations, though.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ambyr
If you like walking, the walk from Thomas Circle to the Mall is easy and pleasant--no significant hills, well-lit and well-populated even at night.

14th St. is one of DC's main restaurant districts. Head north from the Washington Plaza and you'll find plenty of food options between N St. and W St. Be prepared for a wait on Friday or Saturday night if you don't have reservations, though.
Thanks. I will be navigating using the GPS on my smartphone, and given how well laid out DC seems to be, I don't think I'll get lost.

But if I really get tired and want a ride back to my hotel, I assume it should be fairly easy to hail a taxi?

Also, I read that there are some free walking tours that start from the National Mall. Are those any good? I know I am supposed to give a tip afterwards - what is a reasonable tip to give?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.