Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Will the Pope's Travel Affect East Coast Air Traffic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the Pope's Travel Affect East Coast Air Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And, keeping with tradition, he'll fly a US-flagged plane for the rest of the trip. In this case that's an AA 777.
I hope it is one post retrofit with the new F & J.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
And, keeping with tradition, he'll fly a US-flagged plane for the rest of the trip. In this case that's an AA 777.
It may be a dumb question but does the US have a flagship airline? Or are DL, UA and AA all considered flagship?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by valdor
It may be a dumb question but does the US have a flagship airline? Or are DL, UA and AA all considered flagship?
I think Pan Am was the last time the US had a flag carrier, or the closest thing to it. Isn't the flag carrier usually owned by the government?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich
As he drives in the Popemobile, he should fly in the Popeplane.
It's most frequently an Alitalia plane, often enough with the return home being on the host country's plane rather than an Alitalia one. Alitalia is very proud of its affiliation with the Vatican and have marketed themselves this way too.

Shepherd/Vatican One was apparently put into a big holding pattern over the Carolinas because it was otherwise going to get into the DC area too quickly for POTUS to get there before the plane would have arrived.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think Pan Am was the last time the US had a flag carrier, or the closest thing to it. Isn't the flag carrier usually owned by the government?
Often, but not necessarily. Most flag carriers with at least tricontinental service haven't been wholly-owned directly by government for quite some time. The definition of flag carrier is part of the issue. That said, PanAm and TWA have had special USG relationships that made them flag carriers of sort, even when not being owned by government. It was just a handful of decades ago that the PanAm station chiefs in foreign countries were sometimes considered CIA assets and the relationship with the local US embassies so tight that they could allow travel to the US even when the foreign country's passport holder didn't even have the necessary visas attached to it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 2015 at 4:36 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Quote:

So what happens with the AZ 332? Does it fly back home empty or will it backhaul passengers?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
So what happens with the AZ 332? Does it fly back home empty or will it backhaul passengers?
Apparently it flew back to Rome yesterday straight from Andrews. I wonder what that cost Alitalia...

And today it's back in commercial service en route to Boston from Rome.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EIEJG

Code:
Date		Aircraft	Origin	Destination		Departure		Arrival	Duration
23-Sep-2015	A332	Leonardo da Vinci Int'l (Fiumicino Int'l) (LIRF / FCO)		Boston Logan Intl (KBOS)	03:50PM CEST	06:40PM EDT	En Route
22-Sep-2015	A332/L	Joint Base Andrews (KADW)		Leonardo da Vinci Int'l (Fiumicino Int'l) (LIRF / FCO)	07:30PM EDT	09:30AM CEST (+1)	8:00
22-Sep-2015	A332/L	Antonio Maceo Int'l (MUCU / SCU)	Joint Base Andrews (KADW)	12:30PM CDT	03:48PM EDT	3:18
22-Sep-2015	A332/L	Antonio Maceo Int'l (MUCU / SCU)	Joint Base Andrews (KADW)	12:26PM CDT	12:26PM EDT (+1) (?)	0:29
19-Sep-2015	A332/L	Leonardo da Vinci Int'l (Fiumicino Int'l) (LIRF / FCO)	Jose Marti Int'l (MUHA / HAV)	10:34AM CEST	03:49PM CDT (?)	11:15
14-Sep-2015	A332/L	Chicago O'Hare Intl (KORD)	Leonardo da Vinci Int'l (Fiumicino Int'l) (LIRF / FCO)	03:29PM CDT	06:58AM CEST (+1)	8:28
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently it flew back to Rome yesterday straight from Andrews. I wonder what that cost Alitalia
I assume AZ would simply flip the bill over to The Vatican?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point.
Plus I could imagine AZ bringing this bird home empty to avoid having just about every (catholic presumably) passenger asking the AZ agents "what seat did the Pope sit in??!?" so they could reserve that "holy" seat.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The whole cost of that repositioning billed entirely to the Vatican? Not so sure about that, but that is one possible way to work it out.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:54 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
There is at least one existing thread in the NYC forum discussing the impact of the Pope's visit. We'll move this to the Mid-Atlantic (USA) forum, as it encompasses all three cities that the Pope will be visiting. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Ever been in China? The military closes the airspace whenever they feel like it, not even necessary to have a VIP starting/landing.

China's a communist dictatorsahip.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by SANDTWFAN
China's a communist dictatorsahip.
Urrr, perhaps - in a "hybrid" mode, no longer in its pure form. PRC just signed a contract for 300 aircrafts with Boeing while its President Xi is in Washington (State) - with a trade delegation of 1,000 reps (per news source) and is en route to ADW as in Andrews AFB (yulp !!)

Get ready for - Saturday thru Monday - more motorcades, frozen zones & street closure, more of a temporary nature ... as all these VIP buzzed thru the streets & avenues of NY, after his/their CA chartered B744's landing (typically, JFK) Perhaps, Xi will be staying this time at the Waldorf (sold/now or soon to be owned by Chinese interests) instead of our own POTUS, which our SS deemed no longer acceptable as approved lodging for security reasons.

Well, I understand that more fences are going up tonight in Manhattan to help safeguard the Pope in addition to the 8' high ones already surrounding parts of Central Park. But, they should be gone by the weekend - oops, POTUS is also coming to town to address the UN, so - just hold one's breath a while longer.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 24, 2015 at 5:50 am
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:29 am

Apparently it flew back to Rome yesterday straight from Andrews. I wonder what that cost Alitalia...
Great photo op for Alitalia. I'd guess the media coverage would offset a good part of the costs. And Fiat did even better for a fraction of the cost
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/09/insi...popes-777-200/

Looks like it is the old product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.