Wiki Posts
Search

What time at IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K
What time at IAD?

I have a 6:00 a.m. flight from IAD to SFO (conntecting to KIX) in a week. What time should I get to IAD? I can't see getting to IAD at 4 a.m. (two hours for an international trip)--especially since I expect to have only carry-on luggage. TSA Precheck seems to open at 4:30, but I have no idea how busy they might be at that time of the day. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner
I have a 6:00 a.m. flight from IAD to SFO (conntecting to KIX) in a week. What time should I get to IAD? I can't see getting to IAD at 4 a.m. (two hours for an international trip)--especially since I expect to have only carry-on luggage. TSA Precheck seems to open at 4:30, but I have no idea how busy they might be at that time of the day. Any help would be appreciated.
0500 would be just fine.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I had a 0550 Delta flight out of IAD on Sun Feb 8. No line to check in at kiosk, and I was 2nd in line in the Precheck line a few minutes before 0430. It opened a few minutes after 0430, at which point there were maybe 3-4 people behind me.

So, yeah, 0430 would be plenty early; 0500 should be ok but I'm not sure I'd push it that far.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much for the responses.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I had a 0550 Delta flight out of IAD on Sun Feb 8. No line to check in at kiosk, and I was 2nd in line in the Precheck line a few minutes before 0430. It opened a few minutes after 0430, at which point there were maybe 3-4 people behind me.

So, yeah, 0430 would be plenty early; 0500 should be ok but I'm not sure I'd push it that far.
I'm a pretty relaxed traveler, but, for an int'l flight, 5:00 am seems a little snug. I'd split the difference at 4:45 am.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Like others said: 430 am- 450 am would be best. I would personal go there closer to 430 am or so. You never know how security will be or check-in line if you haven't flown International the past 6 months on United. Stupidest rule ever.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacobVB27
Like others said: 430 am- 450 am would be best. I would personal go there closer to 430 am or so. You never know how security will be or check-in line if you haven't flown International the past 6 months on United. Stupidest rule ever.
I have flown internationally on UA twice in the last three weeks--and once the line was moderately long and another time there was almost no one there. But I haven't flown at 6:00 a.m.!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.