Wiki Posts
Search

Best driving route IAD to DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Best driving route IAD to DCA?

What's the best route to take from IAD to DCA on a Friday afternoon? I know where to start but there are many choices once I get to 495 and beyond so thought I'd consult those in the know. For reference, will be leaving IAD around 4 to 4:30 for making a 7:00 PM departure from DCA. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:54 pm

No good way during rush hour in reverse direction. JMHO.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What's the best route to take from IAD to DCA on a Friday afternoon? I know where to start but there are many choices once I get to 495 and beyond so thought I'd consult those in the know. For reference, will be leaving IAD around 4 to 4:30 for making a 7:00 PM departure from DCA. Thanks!
Is this related to your trip in Feb '15 (post #23 from this thread)?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

use google maps, and google directions. if there is a traffic jam in DC, you cannot get there from here.

if you have a traffic gps, that would be useful. it is a pretty straight forward trip.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Is this related to your trip in Feb '15 (post #23 from this thread)?
Yes, it is. I'm told UA *might* let us on the IAD-CLE flight that evening but there's little chance of knowing until we arrive there (I did find an agent to waitlist us but on a Friday evening, not counting on it clearing). I have a rental car reserved to make the transfer which is no big deal to me as I have a bunch of fee rental days.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
2.5 hours is not enough time for that ground transfer if you are renting a car. Additional steps involve IAD shuttle to the rental center and substantial (although closed moving walkway) from DCA rental center to checkpoint.

If you are not familiar with the area, best bet at that time is Uber or other car service where the drivers know the back streets which go around traffic jams. Those routes won't show on a GPS map and can be worse than a major road traffic jam if you play it wrong.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have a rental car reserved to make the transfer which is no big deal to me as I have a bunch of fee rental days.
You're perhaps better off with Metrorail -- Washington Flyer $5 bus to the Wiehle Avenue Silver Line terminus, Silver Line inbound to Rosslyn, change for Blue Line to National Airport. That's about 45-50 minutes in motion, plus wait times.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
You're perhaps better off with Metrorail -- Washington Flyer $5 bus to the Wiehle Avenue Silver Line terminus, Silver Line inbound to Rosslyn, change for Blue Line to National Airport. That's about 45-50 minutes in motion, plus wait times.
Thanks for the idea. I went onto the Metro website and it looks like the journey from Wiehle Ave to Reagan is around 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes. Any guess as to how long the bus takes to get to the Wiehle Ave station and how frequently it runs?

Lastly, is this feasible with a fair amount of luggage (midsize suitcase and a couple of small carry-ons for each of us)?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
DCA can also be fairly busy on Friday evening. Do you have Pre-Check? Also sounds like you are checking luggage. Probably should see if there is a late flight to CLE from DCA in case you miss the 7pm one. You might make it; you might not; you might be running down the terminal...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Last flight xDCA is at 6:56 PM (presume that's what OP is currently scheduled for). If he noshows for that, he's on a 6 AM or 10:29 AM the next day (space available).

Remember, UA requires you to be through the gate reader by T-15 (matters if flight is at risk of oversale). That's 6:41 PM.

This is even less doable in a rental car. Not likely doable in a car service, but at least worth the try. x IAD, the flights at at 5:00 PM and 9:52 PM. Both are -145's, so small aircraft which are routinely full.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 16, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Any guess as to how long the bus takes to get to the Wiehle Ave station and how frequently it runs?
http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

Lastly, is this feasible with a fair amount of luggage (midsize suitcase and a couple of small carry-ons for each of us)?
Sure. People do it all the time.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, we have GE and PreCheck. Any experience with how fast SAS is with baggage? If we're running late into IAD, I can plead my case with UA to get us out of IAD instead of DCA. After all, they are the ones who ticketed this. Also, the person I spoke to at UA says there's a good chance our waitlist for the ~5PM departure from IAD will clear anyway, though I have my doubts.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:18 am
Suspended

If SAS delivers you late to IAD, service recovery is up to SAS, not UA. That is when you can ask SAS to put you on the UA IAD-CLE.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Assuming you leave IAD by 4:30, I would expect you can make it to DCA by 6 PM. Will be tight though. I wouldn't even try a car rental or Metro. Definitely go with a car service or even Washington Flyer.

You will use airport-only lanes on the toll road, then I would try I-66, but be prepared for traffic. If heavy, I would ask the driver to take Lee Highway to Lorcom Lane to Spout Run to the GW Parkway.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
While this is certainly feasible, it's going to be tighter than you'll like. I would use Google maps or Waze and see which direction it sends you. Ordinarily 267 (the Dulles toll road, which you'll be able to use for free), would be the choice, but I-66 inside the beltway will be annoying. You may find some of the surface streets through McLean, Falls Church and Arlington to be better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.