Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

IAD security wait times - Saturday night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat

A good friend of mine is flying IAD-MUC-JNB on Lufthansa this coming Saturday night. Flight leaves at 10:20 PM, but she'll be in somewhat of a rush coming from a wedding reception in Loudoun County that doesn't end until after 8:00 PM.

I told her what I'd do in her situation is check in online Friday night; then stop by IAD before the wedding, park in the hourly lot, and check her bag around 6 PM (does LH check-in open that early?) Then she can have a relative, who will also be at the wedding, drop her off at the terminal door at 8:45-9:00.

It's been several years since I've flown out of IAD in the late evening. Any predictions on how long TSA lines will be around 9 PM on a Saturday?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
LH allows check-in up to one hour before departure, which suggests that if your friend arrives already checked in and ready to head straight to the gate, there should be no problem.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Lines at IAD get very short after about 8pm, so 9pm on a Saturday should be no issue.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Plus, Lufthansa is just up the stairs from the Terminal B exit of the Aero-train - no long schlep as for C/D gates on United.

(whoops - well, looks like the OP's friend made - or didn't - her flight; for future reference).
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Honestly, in the dozen or so times I've gone through security at IAD, no matter the time of day or day, I've never encountered more than a 5-10 minute line. They tend to get people through there pretty quickly.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by CMK10
Honestly, in the dozen or so times I've gone through security at IAD, no matter the time of day or day, I've never encountered more than a 5-10 minute line. They tend to get people through there pretty quickly.
IAD is only busy 2-5pm+ due to the outbound Europe heavies. Security lines can sometime get (or look) pretty ugly. Even Pre-check backs up then - maybe 15-20 minutes to get through pre-check vs 5 minutes rest of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.