Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Buying a US (micro-) SIM on arrival in Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I can't seem to find much information about it, but is there a place to buy a SIM for my phone in Dulles? I will be in VA for 2 weeks and will almost exclusively use data (and Skype), though don't really need all that much data (500MB would be more than enough).

Another option is to try to order from Amazon or a phone company directly and have it shipped to my hotel, but am not sure who to choose.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Assume that you are using an unlocked smartphone (Android ?) with micro-Sim slot as i5c/s are using nano-Sims ? Do you need voice calling ?

For simplicity & short-term ease of use, both AT&T and T-Mobile has prepaid plan, Sim is typically $9.99 + shipping & tax. Monthly plans with calling minutes (up to unlimited) and up to 3GB (AT&T) and 5GB (T-Mo) of 4G/LTE or HSPA+ speed for as little as $30 USD for 30 days, free & DIY online activation (5 to 10 minutes)

See this link - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ds-usa-14.html

You can order & have the sim shipped ahead to the hotel, check & contact front desk to make sure that they will sign for & hold the package for your arrival. T-Mo will usually get it delivered in 3 to 5 business days with free ground shipping from UPS's distribution hub/warehouse on East Coast.

I leave it up to NOVA folks in metro DC area to discuss signal/coverage of T-Mo vs. AT&T, etc. Or, drive over to the mall and/or corporate store & pick one up but inside IAD, no retailers selling Sim cards that I'm aware of.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Letitride3c.

I searched various USA forums, but I didn't even think to check the technology forum!

Yes, I have an unlocked Nexus 4 phone, so it means no LTE/4G in any case.

I am actually staying in Charlottesville and last year, at least, there wasn't an easy place to go buy a SIM without a car (which I don't have). $30 for all the data I can use (I barely used 5GB/year!) would be pretty sweet, but I'll check the link that you provided.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Here's a list of the stores at Dulles that sell SIM cards. Note that some of them are post-security in the Concourses and some of pre-security in the Terminal building.

Airport Wireless
Faber News
Forbes (only in the Main Terminal) The cards are on order.
Fox News Channel
Hudson News
News Connection
Stellar News B46 News (not bookstore) & Main Terminal East (ticketing level only)
Techshowcase
MacTrade (only international, not USA cards)
Washingtonian (only in the Main Terminal) – The cards are on order.

Here's a map to all the shops at Dulles:
http://www.mwaa.com/file/DullesSDMap.pdf

Last edited by Annandaler; Jun 13, 2014 at 5:11 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annandaler
Here's a list of the stores at Dulles that sell SIM cards. Note that some of them are post-security in the Concourses and some of pre-security in the Terminal building.

Airport Wireless
Faber News
Forbes (only in the Main Terminal) The cards are on order.
Fox News Channel
Hudson News
News Connection
Stellar News B46 News (not bookstore) & Main Terminal East (ticketing level only)
Techshowcase
MacTrade (only international, not USA cards)
Washingtonian (only in the Main Terminal) – The cards are on order.

Here's a map to all the shops at Dulles:
http://www.mwaa.com/file/DullesSDMap.pdf
Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Great & excellent when all these outlets sell variety of prepaid Sim cards, especially for overseas travelers/visitors, along with refills and not just MNVO.

I looked up both AT&T and T-Mo and there are no listed authorized resellers within IAD, but they do have locations nearby & a short taxi ride away in the strip malls. I would just be careful as they might be selling them with a high priced markup, like everything else airside being sold these days. Ask & check the prices before paying for the purchase.

I looked up Straight Talk a/k/a Walmart's plan and there's no automated self-service kiosk @ OP's destination/transit airports - but, there is one at JFK's T2 which I recalled seeing as we came back late heading out for transportation. http://www.straighttalkblog.com/2013...ail-shops.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.